Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Unbundled "Ludicrous Mode" for S/X; will "Ludicrous" be available on M3 for a cost?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh, I know- that's where they're being dishonest.

If you hunt around enough you can (or could) find their disclaimer about how they don't report P times the same way they do non-P times, in incredibly tiny and hard to find letters.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/attachments/p85d-specs-png.237053/

That's a screen shot of when it was a little easier to find the disclaimer in question pointing out the P numbers are measured differently.

And here's someone testing a Model 3 AWD with rollout-

AWD 4.55s 0-60, 4.26s w/ 1 foot rollout (VBOX Sport)

0.3 quicker 0-60 for Model 3 AWD if you count it like they do for the P3- which would put the "official" 4.5 tesla number down to 4.2.

Road and Track reported 4.8 for RWD LR that way too, which is also 0.3 quicker than official Tesla.

I think my best time, measured by the VBOX, at the drag strip was 3.46 seconds. Definitely not 3.3.

Hypothetically speaking I'd pay no more than 5k for a 15% accel improvement and 10k for 20%, Insane and Ludicrous respectively and it should be for both AWD and P trim. Though the P is closer to the batteries limits more than the AWD is so that could be difficult for Tesla to offer an equal improvement for both. 20k on the S Performance makes sense to me because it's basically making it the fastest 0-60 of any production car and is such a low number that the premium commands it.

Hypothetically speaking I'd pay no more than 5k for a 15% accel improvement and 10k for 20%, Insane and Ludicrous respectively and it should be for both AWD and P trim. Though the P is closer to the batteries limits more than the AWD is so that could be difficult for Tesla to offer an equal improvement for both. 20k on the S Performance makes sense to me because it's basically making it the fastest 0-60 of any production car and is such a low number that the premium commands it.

For all intents and purposes, the P already runs at 'Insane.' The P85D with insane mode advertised 0-60 in 3.2... the P3D at 3.3. Lets hope we skip Insane and go straight to Luda if there's an upgrade coming. If they can squeeze it out of the drive-train, i think there's plenty of buyers for an extra 1/2 second if priced right.

I guess you could look at it that way. Though I think the faster modes should not be defined by some kind of set number based on past models - but rather a reference to improved performance against whatever baseline the model has at the time. Whatever the case is, I think the AWD could use the performance boost the most and it's free money for Tesla so it's a win win however you want to look at it. Given the hardware that exists in the AWD non-P, I certainly think it's the most natural one to gain something and I agree if priced right, there would be legions of people who would click the buy button without thinking twice about it.

I think there is room for it and am hopeful that something becomes available. I don't know the ratings of what the front and rear motors are capable of, though we know they are currently at 270hp rear leaving 180hp for the front. The Model S75D was 516hp with a different but same capacity battery pack. In my mind, there is 65hp left on the table. Maybe in a year the P will get that full power and run sub 3 second 0-60. The new RS4 is coming out, and the new M3 w/ AWD comes out next year. Something bigger will be needed to remain king of the hill.

When the Ludicrous Mode first came out, it was a $10,000 option to retrofit cars from Insane to Ludicrous. I would not be surprised if the same would be needed for the 3 if Ludicrous were ever an option.

I think there is room for it and am hopeful that something becomes available. I don't know the ratings of what the front and rear motors are capable of, though we know they are currently at 270hp rear leaving 180hp for the front. The Model S75D was 516hp with a different but same capacity battery pack. In my mind, there is 65hp left on the table. Maybe in a year the P will get that full power and run sub 3 second 0-60. The new RS4 is coming out, and the new M3 w/ AWD comes out next year. Something bigger will be needed to remain king of the hill.

When the Ludicrous Mode first came out, it was a $10,000 option to retrofit cars from Insane to Ludicrous. I would not be surprised if the same would be needed for the 3 if Ludicrous were ever an option.

Part numbers and descriptions for the front and rear Model 3 drive units. I'm wondering if anyone knows why there are three rear drive units types for the rear? Should there be just two, one for RWD, and one for AWD/Performance? The revision numbers of also are interesting.
Screen Shot 2019-02-04 at 1.06.31 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-02-04 at 1.05.19 PM.png

Part numbers and descriptions for the front and rear Model 3 drive units. I'm wondering if anyone knows why there are three rear drive units types for the rear? Should there be just two, one for RWD, and one for AWD/Performance? The revision numbers of also are interesting.
View attachment 374501View attachment 374502
FWIW, There’s a thread somewhere on here that a few of us took pics of our respective part numbers, and it seemed there was no distinctive difference between them.

Far as we know every Model 3 every built has exactly the same rear motor in it.

The parts catalog when it finally did list a second motor suggested it was for the MR/SR car (using IGBT instead of MOSFET)- but then everyone who took delivery of an MR found their part number on the physical car was identical to the RWD LR, AWD, and P guys.

That third motor is even odder and nobody knows what it's for (nor has it shown up in any actual cars yet)

Likewise AWD and P have identical front drive units/motors- the performance difference is entirely software.

A year or so I was offered an uncorking on my 75X. Took 0-60 times from 6.0 to 4.9. Tesla did not charge anyone for this upgrade. Most needed to take their cars into a Service Center, but others were able to do an OTA upgrade with the help of a Ranger.

Totally changed the excitement of the launch as well as the much stronger passing thrust.

Hard to tell what Tesla will do in the future...but that future is bright indeed.

Corrected version showing cash value (hopefully I got it right this time).

Your percents are a little off, instead of doing (Higher Price - Base Model)/(Higher Price) you should have the base model in the denominator spot. But i love this idea, i think it is pretty interesting to look at this data to guess a price.

Right now i'd say it's an extra $7.5K on top of the Performance price.