Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Unionization

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious about these claims about IP and NDA. I bet they're perfectly normal tech company stuff, but it's hard to tell with machine translation.

They're upset about "lifetime NDA"? Obviously if you can't talk about it you can't talk about it. The NDA doesn't go away if you leave the company. As for lifetime that's not that unusual, other it would be years at least.

They make a silly argument about even poems being owned by Tesla, the normal sort of IP clause for tech companies is anything you develop during work (and sometimes while employed, even if not at work / working on work - this is a real thing you need to watch out for) is owned by the company. I do have a problem with the more aggressive version of this type of clause but the basic concept is reasonable to protect the company. But in no reality is a tech company going to try to claim IP on your poetry, the attempt to make them sound even worse than reality (claiming software or other engineering/process development IP) just makes the union complaint sound ridiculous instead.

... and IF Metall was involved in this settlement of Russians in occupied parts of Ukraine?

It doesn't surprise me one whit. 🤷‍♂️

/s

I posted the post below by mistake in this thread. I saw it in time to be able to delete it from this thread...

• Helpful
Reactions: 2daMoon
I’m not sure that any of the original 13 went back to work.

I'm pretty sure those 13 will not be allowed back to work by Tesla. Most likely they violated their employment contract.

Tesla does have a collective bargaining agreement with IF Metall so they just walked out on strike illegally(violating their work contract) I would think.

LO/IF Metall are behind(meaning they devised the strike not the 13 Tesla workers) this strike.

If Tesla wins this those 13 will never be back at work with Tesla and even if IF Metall wins it would still be interesting to see if they could go back to work at Tesla. Lots of legal stuff to work out.

I'm pretty sure those 13 will not be allowed back to work by Tesla. Most likely they violated their employment contract.

Tesla does have a collective bargaining agreement with IF Metall so they just walked out on strike illegally(violating their work contract) I would think.

LO/IF Metall are behind(meaning they devised the strike not the 13 Tesla workers) this strike.

If Tesla wins this those 13 will never be back at work with Tesla and even if IF Metall wins it would still be interesting to see if they could go back to work at Tesla. Lots of legal stuff to work out.

I would think Sweden has pretty strict laws against firing anyone for being on a union strike.

Reactions: petit_bateau
I would think Sweden has pretty strict laws against firing anyone for being on a union strike.

Same in U.S. But since Tesla does not have a CBA with IF Metall are the 13 workers legally striking? It's not ALL of the 130 service techs only 13. Normally when a strike is called by a union all workers go on strike and they usually have a CBA with the company they are striking against. This is a first I believe.

• Informative
Reactions: Tiger and rlsd
Same in U.S. But since Tesla does not have a CBA with IF Metall are the 13 workers legally striking? It's not ALL of the 130 service techs only 13. Normally when a strike is called by a union all workers go on strike and they usually have a CBA with the company they are striking against. This is a first I believe.
Its certainly not the first time the union is striking to get a company to sign a collective agreement.

Reactions: petit_bateau
Companies having no collective agreement in Sweden:

Like Tesla, many companies on the list were born several years after Toys R Us pulled out of Sweden. Why does the union only have beef with Tesla?

Because their model is becoming irrelevant and they have to be attention whores in order to bring support from a dwindling resource, and Tesla gets clicks better than any of their other options?

Reactions: rlsd
Even if those 13 would normally be protected, I figure there's an argument to be made that if you go on strike long enough, that protection should cease.

Not sure whether there's any legal basis to allow it, but it's unreasonable that a company must continue to employee someone who has been gone for months for any unapproved reason (i.e. not vacation, sick, maternity/paternity leave, etc which would be according to whatever normal methods the company uses).

Strikers should be protected for a reasonable length of time, but not forever.

I am curious why some Swedish Tesla employees are members of IF Metall(or any union really).
My guess is that they worked at a union shop in the past and joined, and when they switched to working for Tesla they never terminated their union membership. (Or the union paid them to join so that they could strike and demand a collective agreement.)

I am curious why some Swedish Tesla employees are members of IF Metall(or any union really).

What is the benefit? Do they pay union dues?

Same applies to German Tesla employees at Giga Berlin that have joined IG Metall.

Propaganda. Tradition. Not knowing any better. Not thinking for themselves. Typical day in the life of being a NPC.

Strikers should be protected for a reasonable length of time, but not forever.
And since Tesla has hired non-union people to replace the strikers in the meantime; well, as a striker I’d be concerned Tesla just replaced me with someone who’s doing a better job and won’t ever be looking to strike down the road and thusly disrupting the company.

I’m all for their right to strike and I’m all for Tesla’s right to tell them to go take a hike after the fact. Course I’m old school; if you don’t like where you work, don’t like your job then quit and go find something you do like.