Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla upgraded my car to 2020.4.1 while in service without authorization

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got a 2013 S85, and EVERY service appointment I've ever had in 7 years included a software update. Even Ranger visits have pushed an update. The last Ranger triggered it before he even arrived, and ran the update while changing out a Takeda airbag.

Doing an update has always seemed like an automatic item, like checking your tire pressure.

I've got a 2013 S85, and EVERY service appointment I've ever had in 7 years included a software update. Even Ranger visits have pushed an update. The last Ranger triggered it before he even arrived, and ran the update while changing out a Takeda airbag.

Doing an update has always seemed like an automatic item, like checking your tire pressure.
Thankfully most of the time they don't let the air out of my tires but some still do it after I ask them not to, then I go into a significant temperature drop and need to re-inflate the tires.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
Federal regs now require tire pressure checks and adjustment with every factory service. Must set to manufacturer specs, not customer preference.

I imaging Tesla wants their entire fleet running on the latest firmware. All the latest updates and safety specs. If you don't want it done, stay out of the Service Center. (or even parked inside their geofenced area)

Some owners would take their cars to service centers, just to get overdue updates. Especially if they did not have Wi-Fi access at home.

Think it is, at least in California. Every time I take any car into any tire shop of dealership for service, they always check and reset tire pressures to manuf spec. Believe this was instigated by State/Fed to increase fuel economy and even perhaps safety.

They do this automatically, without request, and at no charge.

This has not been their policy in all the time I've had the car up until now. And I've been very unlucky to have my car in for warranty service many times.

I don't want my car updated because updates are often buggy when they first come out. Also they sneak in mis-features like Fleet Speed without telling you and then refuse to roll back. Also, for those of us with MCU1 cars, every new software release makes the screen laggier, less responsive, and less stable (more crashes and reboots).

I would agree that my MCU1 has gotten laggier over time, but I have noticed a slight improvement with the 2020 update. All subjective of course.

Tesla is very much like Apple in this regard: they will make it very hard to stay on legacy software. Tesla has been force pushing updates remotely as well. It's really not worth the hassle to try to go against that.

Of course, I'm always the one trying to get the latest update as fast as possible, so I'm a bit biased there.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
My wife's Model 3 was in for service today. I'm so mad. They didn't install any updates but they did fill the windshield washer reservoir without our permission. ;)

Class-action lawsuit right there. Join our anti-windshield wiper fluid consortium. Causes cancerous autism, and you don't even need windshield washer fluid no how. The windshield wipers don't work anyway.......

Class-action lawsuit right there. Join our anti-windshield wiper fluid consortium. Causes cancerous autism, and you don't even need windshield washer fluid no how. The windshield wipers don't work anyway.......
As the business owner and sole user of Fivers Nano-Textured Premium Ceramic Windshield Wash Fluid™, made with zero dihydrogen monoxide & advanced polyalcohol lubricants including modern Hybrid Organic Acid Technology which provides 26.2% extra glide and 18.4% additional cleaning* for your wipers as they glide across the windshield, I would be livid if Tesla service filled my reservoir with that generic blue crap.

If you are interested in purchasing a some of my premium fluid for your Tesla, it's only $199.95 a gallon, and you can buy it at any place that also sells $300 nitrogen filled Audio/Visual cables.

*Compared to the leading brands

As the business owner and sole user of Fivers Nano-Textured Premium Ceramic Windshield Wash Fluid™, made with zero dihydrogen monoxide & advanced polyalcohol lubricants including modern Hybrid Organic Acid Technology which provides 26.2% extra glide and 18.4% additional cleaning* for your wipers as they glide across the windshield, I would be livid if Tesla service filled my reservoir with that generic blue crap.

If you are interested in purchasing a some of my premium fluid for your Tesla, it's only $199.95 a gallon, and you can buy it at any place that also sells $300 nitrogen filled Audio/Visual cables.

*Compared to the leading brands

I'm in. Cheap price for the good stuff........

it's their policy to force software updates upon receiving your car for any service. they will not service your car without updating it to the latest. its been that way for a while. even if you ask them not to do it, they'll do it anyway and there's no way to downgrade it back.

• Informative
Reactions: JBT66