Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Upper Control Arm CRACKED

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have told you this car passed the technical inspection and I know for sure they did it right. We have also inspected the car last year. We are engineers here, we know what we are doing. There was nothing wrong with that suspension arm one year ago. I am not claiming anything from anyone, and not trying to demolish Musk's statue. I am just making people aware of that suspension problem at least in early versions. I was asking what changes did they do in the revised version of the suspension, why don't you focus on the problem instead of trying to discredit me? There are others who reported similar issues, you will not manage to discredit everybody.

You say that this car passed an inspection. As a director of an airline I see many parts from airplanes that could not have been diagnosed as having a potential to fail unless they are subjected to eddy current, or dye penetration under a microscope. It appears that the part you have shown us was cracked for some time, likely before you owned it due to the corrosion on the surface of the fracture. Auto safety inspections are not this thorough.

You could prove all of us wrong, but I don't think so.

Those links are sliced from extruded Aluminum.
The grain structure runs in the direction of the extrusion.
To make things even worse there is a flaw in the extrusion at the point of fracture.
You are the weakest link.
Goodbye.

Attachments

• grain2.JPG
    grain2.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 155
Reactions: McRat
You say that this car passed an inspection. As a director of an airline I see many parts from airplanes that could not have been diagnosed as having a potential to fail unless they are subjected to eddy current, or dye penetration under a microscope. It appears that the part you have shown us was cracked for some time, likely before you owned it due to the corrosion on the surface of the fracture. Auto safety inspections are not this thorough.

You could prove all of us wrong, but I don't think so.

void.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: McRat and GeorgeCM
You do realize that vehicle and wheel were moved before the picture was taken, right? And that providing zero context to the failure mode provides zero useful data?
Goodbye Felicia.
The context is that suspension links made from sliced extruded Aluminum have the grain structure running crosswise and break very easily.
Just look back through this thread to see plenty of examples.

Take a closer look to this failed arm. It look to me extremely porous, the center material is like sand, I can scratch it with my finger. It looks that the only structure that counts in that part is the thin metal shell, however porous, full of gas bubbles from casting.
I will order a third party inspection of that part from an independent structures testing laboratory, then I will post the report here and fill in reports to safety authorities.
I don't give a s*it about your Tesla shares, I don't care who has long or short positions. I had long positions and sold them last year once I took contact with this company and after 6 month of repairing different annoying things at this car. Tesla does good things, but fails miserably in others, most of them simple to do. I have called the nearest service center to get a hopefully updated version of that part, they told me to order by e-mail. I have sent an e-mail a couple of days ago, and got autoreply that they are not working for one week, and nothing else. I have 3 electric cars, the first one is an old vw beetle that I have converted myself 7 years ago before most of Musk's b*tt kissers were even hearing about electric cars. Stop talking about things you don't understand. That suspension has a problem unrelated with the rear trunk lid and bumper which were affected by the previous accident.
IMG_20180518_160806.jpg
IMG_20180518_160818.jpg
IMG_20180518_160829.jpg
IMG_20180518_160840.jpg

Stop talking about things you don't understand.

Indeed, like linking to troll sites which use unrelated photographs of collision damage to promote a false narrative. It hurts your credibility. Clearly your control arm had a flawed casting, the pictures prove it. It doesn't prove that this is a fleet wide issue. You could have saved a lot of time and aggravation by posting them from the start.

I agree, that piece looks like junk. Definitely a bad casting.

As an engineer in the aircraft industry, that looks like a disturbing amount of porosity in that casting.

Not in aero, so forgive my ignorance.
Isn't this part a sliced extrusion, and not a casting? If so, wouldn't the original slug need to be severely flawed to produce this flaw? Seems nigh impossible to produce a void internal to the extruded piece.
Given the coloration, could it be caused by prolonged internal corrosion?

Not in aero, so forgive my ignorance.
Isn't this part a sliced extrusion, and not a casting? If so, wouldn't the original slug need to be severely flawed to produce this flaw? Seems nigh impossible to produce a void internal to the extruded piece.
Given the coloration, could it be caused by prolonged internal corrosion?

You may be right about it being an extrusion vs a casting. I am not an expert in corrosion effects, so I don't know if it could cause defects that look like that.

The upper and lower links and the torque link are all made from slices of extruded Aluminum.
This material has the grain structure running CROSSWISE in the links.
Even worse than that the extrusion process is liable to have inclusions, voids and gas bubbles if there is any problem with the production process.
Also the start and end of the extrusion is meant to be rejected because it will certainly have defects.

That might be what went wrong.