Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Virtual Power Plant in CA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I experienced my first event last week and had a couple questions. I have my battery reserve set to 20%, my normal percentage. In the morning I saw I had 20% but I had been pulling from the grid most of the night.

Do most of you lower your battery backup percentage for the event?
Can you see how many KW you will be paid for?

How could you enroll in one without being de-enrolled from the other? I don't have the option to enroll in both.
It's Tesla IT. Need I say more?

I disenrolled in one and the next week it offered to let me enroll in the new program. I did. Now both are active and participate in events.

I'll either get double credit or someone on the accounting side will figure it out, or I'll get nothing. TBD.

I experienced my first event last week and had a couple questions. I have my battery reserve set to 20%, my normal percentage. In the morning I saw I had 20% but I had been pulling from the grid most of the night.

I also noticed that after the event, my Powerwalls were not following their usual behavior here. I slightly adjusted the percentages in my TBC reserve settings and a few minutes later the Powerwalls came out of standby during peak hours and resumed supplying the house as they should have been doing. I think it is not clear whether it was coincidence, a glitch, or something else.

For VPPs, I do not adjust the VPP reserve that I leave set for 5%.

Total export for the VPP event was 1.7kWh, so not much.

All the best,

BG

Based on your description that is what I would expected to happen. You seem surprised, so what did you think would happen?
During the summer period I have my regular reserve set to 93% (I am a NEM 2.0 net producer and don't need price arbitrage) and for VPP have the reserve set to 10% to maximize the incentive payment.
There is no official reporting from Tesla. You need to track this yourself based on the Powerwall export data for each event

Reactions: Iain
Based on your description that is what I would expected to happen. You seem surprised, so what did you think would happen?

During the summer period I have my regular reserve set to 93% (I am a NEM 2.0 net producer and don't need price arbitrage) and for VPP have the reserve set to 10% to maximize the incentive payment.

There is no official reporting from Tesla. You need to track this yourself based on the Powerwall export data for each event
Thanks for the answers. My questions were because I didn't know what would happen and not directed as I experienced something I wasn't expecting. I do appreciate the answers.

Participated in VPP event 5/30 - first time ever!

Event started exactly as promised 19:00 and last 2h.
I have 2PWs, output rate to grid was stable at 7.8KW, dumped 15.KWh over 2h.
Pls discharged from SOC 100% till 36%.

Actual discharge rate of 2PWs around 10.5KW, but Grid demanded only 7.8. Why ?

I'm not sure what is compensation rate per kWh, hope it's not for free

Screenshot 2024-06-07 at 4.38.31 PM.png

Participated in VPP event 5/30 - first time ever!

Event started exactly as promised 19:00 and last 2h.
I have 2PWs, output rate to grid was stable at 7.8KW, dumped 15.KWh over 2h.
Pls discharged from SOC 100% till 36%.

Actual discharge rate of 2PWs around 10.5KW, but Grid demanded only 7.8. Why ?

I'm not sure what is compensation rate per kWh, hope it's not for free

View attachment 1054544
Your grid export limit is probably set to 7.8kW AC

Reactions: BGbreeder
After almost two weeks of the Gateway/Powerwalls not behaving as they previously did (goal: peak rate usage 100% from batteries), I power cycled and rebooted the Gateway, and it has finally gone back to its normal behavior again.

I don't know if this was a firmware glitch, or caused by the VPP event, or random, but, short of the reboot, no amount of tinkering with the settings and buy / sell rates was able to return the system to the prior behavior. Firmware is now at 24.4.0 0fe780c9

All the best,

BG

Hrmmm, I might be in an odd state. I have several sites associated with my account at the same address due to purchases at different times. I had been working with support give me the ability to see the PV production system installed 4 years ago. Until recently, I only could see the aggregate (of 3 PV systes)as seen by the Powerwall gateway. One of the even older SolarCity PV systems had its own site and I could see its production. It looks like the agent I worked yesterday persisted through and managed to find someone to configure things "correctly". As a possible side effect, it might have confused my "sites". I now have a site has "application" pending for VPP in addition to the "site" that is enrolled in what looks ELRP (Emergency Load Response Program). This wasn't true a few hours ago so my account might be influx.

We'll see.
ok, it looks like I'm now in the new program. Didn't quite happen on the first of June. I see 3,154 fleet homes.

I missed the test May event.