Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Virtual Power Plant in CA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can someone please post a screen shot of the menu in Virtual Power Plant -> Settings -> Virtual Power Plant? Of corse, Tesla Chat support is giviing me the run around and telling me not to mess with the app!!! I would like to know what setting is supposed to be presented in that sub menu. I'm on iOS. Thanks!!!
This what it looks like on Android
1717016501001.png

I don't think that this is the case. In prior posts @Tim-in-CA has said that he had disenrolled, the app reverted to not being enrolled, enrolled in DSGS, app reported pending and then went fully active.

Ah, I missed that part. Could be a different issue then, or it could be an issue with the disenrollment process. The reason I suspected double-enrollment is another report on Reddit that's somewhat similar (also on SCE, although the location of the duplicate VPP link is different):
2 Virtual Power Plant applications

I don't think that this is the case. In prior posts @Tim-in-CA has said that he had disenrolled, the app reverted to not being enrolled, enrolled in DSGS, app reported pending and then went fully active.
Correct. I followed the process as described above.

It seems like there are newer firmware versions based on https://www.netzeroapp.io/firmware_versions, although it's hard to say what their rollout is really like.

This is what I suspect is going on. From the FW version data collected by NetZero, I am definitely behind; I'm at 23.12.11 (which doesn't even appear in their list)! Note, I have 2x PowerWall 2 units. Display and adjustment of Backup Reserve During events may be tied to newer PW FW. I mentioned this to the chat agent, but they said I was on latest FW (they are really clueless). I might just call to see if I can flagged for newer FW, I typically wouldn't do this as my system has been quite stable.

Well its going to be interesting to see what happens with my system tonight. I still seem to have both DSGS and ELRP active. There are events scheduled for both. I sent in the application for removal from ELRP weeks ago.

Also to note none of my settings or event notices have a place to change the reserve setting. I can only choose the storm watch or support grid no matter what toggles. I can opt out of the events or dismiss, whatever that means.

1717087009972.jpeg
1717087037247.jpeg
1717087061767.jpeg

I have not tried to reset the app and will wait until after tonight to see what transpires. Here is the ELRP screen.

View attachment 1051946
Interesting, I unenrolled and then reenrolled, went into application pending about 2 weeks and today I see that I'm back in. My screen looks identical (the fleet home count) but I don't see an event today.

It's possible, I'm "late" to this party. It's also possible that my system just hasn't been "notified" yet. It's also possible my system is being held out due to a service issue with one of my powerwalls.

For those of you who participated in VPP last year - how well does the system do to minimize consumption during peak outside the hours of the VPP. For the event tonight it's at 7pm-9pm, but peak is 4pm-9pm. Will the system run in self powered mode outside of the VPP event? If the event was 4pm-6pm, would VPP allow for enough charge to make it out of peak without consuming from the grid?

Thanks!

For those of you who participated in VPP last year - how well does the system do to minimize consumption during peak outside the hours of the VPP. For the event tonight it's at 7pm-9pm, but peak is 4pm-9pm. Will the system run in self powered mode outside of the VPP event? If the event was 4pm-6pm, would VPP allow for enough charge to make it out of peak without consuming from the grid?

Thanks!
In my experience last year, the PW would not discharge during the peak period prior to a VPP event and it would discharge at a rate during the event so that it would hit the reserve at the end of the event. This year of course could be different given the events are limited to 2 hours in length. Regardless if you are depleting the PW during the event and pulling peak power before or after the event you still come out ahead given the VPP compensation and the regular NEM credits you get for the exported power during the event.

I was taking a look at the terms of the DSGS plan again, specifically the compensation examples. There is now a mention of a baseline of 1kWh per Powerwall per event hour for systems installed prior to July 2023. So a single Powerwall system performing at 5kw per hour during an event would only get credit for 4kW when doing the compensation calculation. I'm pretty sure I didn't see that before when I enrolled.
VPP with DSGS

Interesting, I unenrolled and then reenrolled, went into application pending about 2 weeks and today I see that I'm back in. My screen looks identical (the fleet home count) but I don't see an event today.

It's possible, I'm "late" to this party. It's also possible that my system just hasn't been "notified" yet. It's also possible my system is being held out due to a service issue with one of my powerwalls.
Hrmmm, I might be in an odd state. I have several sites associated with my account at the same address due to purchases at different times. I had been working with support give me the ability to see the PV production system installed 4 years ago. Until recently, I only could see the aggregate (of 3 PV systes)as seen by the Powerwall gateway. One of the even older SolarCity PV systems had its own site and I could see its production. It looks like the agent I worked yesterday persisted through and managed to find someone to configure things "correctly". As a possible side effect, it might have confused my "sites". I now have a site has "application" pending for VPP in addition to the "site" that is enrolled in what looks ELRP (Emergency Load Response Program). This wasn't true a few hours ago so my account might be influx.

We'll see.

I was taking a look at the terms of the DSGS plan again, specifically the compensation examples. There is now a mention of a baseline of 1kWh per Powerwall per event hour for systems installed prior to July 2023. So a single Powerwall system performing at 5kw per hour during an event would only get credit for 4kW when doing the compensation calculation. I'm pretty sure I didn't see that before when I enrolled.
VPP with DSGS
Yes, compensation is quite obfuscated and will be difficult to estimate vs original program. Previously, you at least could look at your PW export kWH numbers and have a pretty good idea what you will be paid.