Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Virtual Power Plant in CA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was paying attention for this event and made sure to look over my system for the event. Before the event, I checked and turned off the export limit, as it had somehow changed to a smaller number about 2/3 of my ESS system size. When I called support about it the tech said that there was a couple of config entries, for the day of the last VPP event and today where there was a CA Enforcer tag, that reset my export limit to 16,172w.

When the actual event happened at 7 pm, my export limit changed to 16,172w again. I am not sure where this number comes from but it seems the exact same number each time.
Similar to the last event after the conclusion of the event my PWs are charging from the grid. I'm assuming to my normal reserve, 30%, and they discharged to 22% during the event. I set my VPP reserve to 15%. Grid charging is disabled.
This also happened to me. My VPP reserve is set to 5% and normal reserve is 30%. Immediately after the VPP event my batteries started charging as well. I lowered my reserve to 20% since the batteries were at 24%, and they stopped charging about 5 minutes later.

Would other users want their batteries to charge from the grid immediately after a VPP event, or wait a few hours until partial peak or peak rates were over.

Would other users want their batteries to charge from the grid immediately after a VPP event, or wait a few hours until partial peak or peak rates were over.
I would prefer they wait. Kind of would not make sense to discharge peak power and then turn around and get it back again with the turn around losses and NBCs. But monetarily I guess its better since you get more for VPP energy.

I would prefer they wait. Kind of would not make sense to discharge peak power and then turn around and get it back again with the turn around losses and NBCs. But monetarily I guess its better since you get more for VPP energy.
Well the only benefit that I can see between waiting to recharge between grid charging immediately after VPP, immediately at
off peak, or tomorrow with the sun is resiliency. If you had a power outage just after the VPP it would be a shame to have a dead house overnight.

Reactions: aesculus
My system did pretty good during this event. All the issues I have with events last year and the year before that soured me seem to have been fixed. Predominantly not accounting for my home usage during an event, running for way too long and then leaving me stranded for another hour, not really preparing smartly - ie charging from the grid when solar would do it.

My peak is from 2PM until 9PM. That short blip before the event was some AC and a well pump. The algorithm let the solar charge the battery to 100% and then sold the rest of the solar to PG&E or used it for the house load, leaving the battery alone for the upcoming VPP event at 7PM. I still returned solar to the grid (not shown) like I normally would, but the system did not use the PW to run the house as normal, stripping off from the solar instead. Overall a much smarter approach then last year.

temp.jpg

In the end, the discharge ended up being 11-ish rather erratically discharged kWh. And again, the next day, today, the Gateway was pulling from the grid, rather than charging the powerwalls during mid-peak, and peak. After manually adjusting the reserve settings, the behavior switch backed to normal in 5-10 minutes.

It seems as if, at least at this site, the Powerwalls aren't returned to their prior settings and the end of the event. (N=2)...

All the best,

BG

I checked my PW today. And in fact they stopped charging at about 12:30pm at 65% and sent power to the grid from here. This caused me to end up needing to use grid based peak energy during the last half hour of the period. I am not sure if this was carry over from the VPP event or the algorithm was off because it was the last day of the week period of my rate plan and it was a bit hotter today so maybe my usage was a bit higher. I would have liked more of a buffer in my charge.

I was gonna ask for input as to reasons why NOT to enroll in this, but the posts I am reading make me even more confused.

I guess it would be fine as long as at NO time do I draw from the grid as a result of doing this, as I am self-powered and NEM 3.0 and been assured that my sell price is so low there is no reason to do anything else. But I am curious about this.

At this time, 10:46 am my sell price is .02 cents and buy is .33.