Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Virtual Power Plant in CA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
feelin' bad about it but i've set my reserve to 100% today. i feel like either today or tomorrow the grid could go down. ISO is predicting 48GW peak today and 51GW peak tomorrow. those have got to be records? maybe it will be OK but if too many people think like me that (admittedly small) VPP buffer won't be as big today.
The all time record was 50,270 megawatts on July 24, 2006. So the 51,145 megawatts they're predicting for Tuesday would be a record, if the prediction holds.

If the grid holds... :D
The grid will hold. They'll involuntarily cut people off before the grid collapses. Also, aren't there large industrial users who signed up to be cut off first in exchange for lower rates? Those customers will likely get cut off too. So the question really is: did the CAISO take into account the fact that people would be cut off in making their projection, or is the projection for what demand would be if people don't get cut off? That could factor into whether a new record is set or not.

Reactions: Big Earl
The grid will hold. They'll involuntarily cut people off before the grid collapses. Also, aren't there large industrial users who signed up to be cut off first in exchange for lower rates? Those customers will likely get cut off too. So the question really is: did the CAISO take into account the fact that people would be cut off in making their projection, or is the projection for what demand would be if people don't get cut off? That could factor into whether a new record is set or not.
Good thing it is a holiday. Imagine what the load will be like tomorrow when it is projected to be hotter, and more offices are running their A/C.

I'm with SVP/PG&E and just signed up for the VPP option yesterday. I apparently was approved as I received a push notification this morning for the event today. All this morning my app was showing my home's kW # as well as fleet home numbers, both of which were being updated continuously. Then around mid-day, my PWs stopped reporting data for a couple hours. When it returned/came back up mid-afternoon, my VPP event data was showing zero (neither charging nor discharging and no kW data at all). But I still had a notification that the event was still on and my system would start discharging at 4 p.m.

At 4 p.m., my PWs were at 100% which I assume would be good to go to start discharging. Instead of discharging, however, my house started pulling from the grid in order to bridge the gap from my panel's waning production in the late afternoon. I thought it might just take a few minutes for the transition to occur as is sometimes the case when the system is learning, but still nothing had changed after 5 minutes. I then tried messing with my reserve setting, which was originally set at 40%, and then I even pushed it down to zero. This did nothing as my house continued to pull from the grid. After 10 minutes with nothing I was doing having any impact on moving my batteries into discharging, I cancelled the VPP event as I have no interest in pulling from the grid at peak rates if that for some crazy reason was part of the plan. Lo and behold, after I opted out of today's VPP, my system started discharging as per normal.

As this was my first experience with a VPP event, can anyone please tell me what went wrong? What should I do tomorrow and the rest of this week assuming we'll have more events this week?

Can anyone explain the maximum capacity on CAISO? It's 58k, but peak is estimated at 51k tomorrow. How could there be blackouts/issues if capacity exceeds forecasted demand by that much?
As I understand it, they have "contingency reserves" they are required to keep. When they get too close to capacity they have to shed load because if the grid reaches actual capacity it can be catastrophic. See for example Northeast blackout of 2003 - Wikipedia

Reactions: tfan2018
I'm with SVP/PG&E and just signed up for the VPP option yesterday. I apparently was approved as I received a push notification this morning for the event today. All this morning my app was showing my home's kW # as well as fleet home numbers, both of which were being updated continuously. Then around mid-day, my PWs stopped reporting data for a couple hours. When it returned/came back up mid-afternoon, my VPP event data was showing zero (neither charging nor discharging and no kW data at all). But I still had a notification that the event was still on and my system would start discharging at 4 p.m.

At 4 p.m., my PWs were at 100% which I assume would be good to go to start discharging. Instead of discharging, however, my house started pulling from the grid in order to bridge the gap from my panel's waning production in the late afternoon. I thought it might just take a few minutes for the transition to occur as is sometimes the case when the system is learning, but still nothing had changed after 5 minutes. I then tried messing with my reserve setting, which was originally set at 40%, and then I even pushed it down to zero. This did nothing as my house continued to pull from the grid. After 10 minutes with nothing I was doing having any impact on moving my batteries into discharging, I cancelled the VPP event as I have no interest in pulling from the grid at peak rates if that for some crazy reason was part of the plan. Lo and behold, after I opted out of today's VPP, my system started discharging as per normal.

As this was my first experience with a VPP event, can anyone please tell me what went wrong? What should I do tomorrow and the rest of this week assuming we'll have more events this week?
Today's event starts at 6pm. The Flex alert covers more hours than the VPP event. The VPP will discharge only during the most critical hours.

It is normal to pull from the grid during peak on VPP event days. Since you will most likely export more than your consumption during the VPP event, you will make up for the earlier usage with credits from exporting (minus non-bypassable charges) and get the $2/kWh credit for any Powerwall discharge over your historical average.

Unless you have a really small solar system, this should be significantly in your favor.

Yeah I think overloading a transformer or something is always a possibility, that's why I've also been debating if risking my PW capacity is worth the money. Having never had a long outage makes me usually lean to setting my reserve lower.

Yeah that’s why PG&E made me name them as an insured in case my Powerwalls harm PG&E. I’m the only idiot on TMC with this insurance.

And Im not even enrolled in the VPP. Holeydonut = loser

Today's event starts at 6pm. The Flex alert covers more hours than the VPP event. The VPP will discharge only during the most critical hours.

It is normal to pull from the grid during peak on VPP event days. Since you will most likely export more than your consumption during the VPP event, you will make up for the earlier usage with credits from exporting (minus non-bypassable charges) and get the $2/kWh credit for any Powerwall discharge over your historical average.

Unless you have a really small solar system, this should be significantly in your favor.
Oh, ok, thanks for the explanation, I'll try again tomorrow assuming we have another event then. Maybe it's just me but the messaging on the Tesla app was not super clear, at least when my PWs started reporting again this afternoon, as I read it to mean that discharging would start at 4 p.m. The start time of 4 p.m. was not written as a flex alert like SVP's standard message of reducing consumption from 4 to 9.

Oh, ok, thanks for the explanation, I'll try again tomorrow assuming we have another event then. Maybe it's just me but the messaging on the Tesla app was not super clear, at least when my PWs started reporting again this afternoon, as I read it to mean that discharging would start at 4 p.m. The start time of 4 p.m. was not written as a flex alert like SVP's standard message of reducing consumption from 4 to 9.
The critical time isn't really 4-9, I'd say it's 5:30 to 7:30, and especially 6 to 7. If your PWs started discharging exactly at 4, there might not be anything left by 7.

Yeah, the key is to look for the “start discharging” time. The start time of the event is actually just the start of when Tesla overrides normal behavior to try to charge the Powerwalls before the event.
B38A9E72-1088-4A19-8755-8A6CC8416D40.png

• Informative
Reactions: Redhill_qik
CAISO is now saying there may be a supply shortage… but not because someone in Auburn has their mini splits set to 68F hehe.

CAISO EEA 2 NOTICE [202202677]

The California ISO has issued an Energy Emergency Alert (EEA) 2 Notice for the CAISO Grid,
effective 09/05/2022 18:30 through 09/05/2022 20:00.

Reason:
The ISO is anticipating high loads and temperatures across the |CAISO Grid.

CAISO is forecasting an energy deficiency, with all available resources in use
or forecasted to be in use, for the specified time period.

CAISO is now saying there may be a supply shortage… but not because someone in Auburn has their mini splits set to 68F hehe.

CAISO EEA 2 NOTICE [202202677]

The California ISO has issued an Energy Emergency Alert (EEA) 2 Notice for the CAISO Grid,
effective 09/05/2022 18:30 through 09/05/2022 20:00.

Reason:
The ISO is anticipating high loads and temperatures across the |CAISO Grid.

CAISO is forecasting an energy deficiency, with all available resources in use
or forecasted to be in use, for the specified time period.
They should be paying people more than $2/kWh to send power to the grid. Check out these real time prices:

CAISO Real Time Pricing 18:40.jpg

First of all, i think VPP are a marvelous idea - both compensating power wall owners and providing clean peaker power to the grid during challenging periods. That aside, if i have to pull energy during an event from the grid after my batteries hit the reserve limit, am i charged at the $2 rate or the PG&E peak rate of $0.56 / KWH?