Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Virtual Power Plant in CA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got the alert via Tesla app that there is a VPP tomorrow 8/28 from 6p-9p.

Just wondering, will my Powerwalls (4x, 54kWh) intuitively NOT discharge tomorrow starting at 4p…which is what it normally does?

They usually export (I am set with Grid Charging / PTO / Export Everything) from 4p to empty @ 11.9kW, using a slightly adjusted rate table (below).

Do I need to turn off EE just to be sure it doesn’t start discharging at 4p?

IMG_7237.png

IMG_7238.png

IMG_7239.png

IMG_7240.png

IMG_7241.png

After 4pm and it's behaving normally and covering my house load and solar is going to the grid.
View attachment 968709

But the VPP page is showing like it is an active VPP.
View attachment 968710
Mine is same as yours…

Showing an active VPP event, but when you click in it says 6-9p tomorrow. So I don’t think there is VPP right now.

Hopefully not, because my PW export behavior (TBC, EE, PTO & GC…with PGE EV2A) is the same as normal…dumps max (4x PW, 11.9kW) starting right at 4p.

I would expect/hope that the PW is smart enough to know that $2/kWh VPP >>> my $0.56/kWh export rate at summer peak…and stat until 6p tomorrow.

Was thinking if maybe flipping off EE after tonight, just to be safe? I assume having VPP activated overrides having EE toggled off?

IMG_7243.png

Just got the alert via Tesla app that there is a VPP tomorrow 8/28 from 6p-9p.

Just wondering, will my Powerwalls (4x, 54kWh) intuitively NOT discharge tomorrow starting at 4p…which is what it normally does?

They usually export (I am set with Grid Charging / PTO / Export Everything) from 4p to empty @ 11.9kW, using a slightly adjusted rate table (below).

Do I need to turn off EE just to be sure it doesn’t start discharging at 4p?
During the VPP events last year no discharges occurred until the start of the event. I expect the same this year with no discharge from 4-6pm and then maximum allowed site discharge from 6-9pm or when your Powerwall reaches the reserve level.

Reactions: YRide
During the VPP events last year no discharges occurred until the start of the event. I expect the same this year with no discharge from 4-6pm and then maximum allowed site discharge from 6-9pm or when your Powerwall reaches the reserve level.
Perfect. Hope that behavior remains. I’ll set an alarm for 6p.

Btw, is maximum site export rate documented somewhere? Like on your application? Or NEM2 interconnect paperwork? Or in your PGE account? Or a document in your Tesla account?

I max at 11.9kW, but I can import at 21.6kW. I think that makes sense…5.8kVA continuous should be about that, right? Just can’t understand why my export is 50% of my import.

Perfect. Hope that behavior remains. I’ll set an alarm for 6p.

Btw, is maximum site export rate documented somewhere? Like on your application? Or NEM2 interconnect paperwork? Or in your PGE account? Or a document in your Tesla account?

I max at 11.9kW, but I can import at 21.6kW. I think that makes sense…5.8kVA continuous should be about that, right? Just can’t understand why my export is 50% of my import.
If you login to the gateway there is a summary page that has this information.

If you login to the gateway there is a summary page that has this information.

Ok. Found that, Site Output Limit is 11.88kW.

But I guess the real question is what is behind what this is set at? Was this something I agreed to with PGE? Or did they force this upon me? Is it due to the HW I have? Number & size of inverters? Or is it limited by the OCPD that sits between GW2 and Grid? Other?

Ok. Found that, Site Output Limit is 11.88kW.

But I guess the real question is what is behind what this is set at? Was this something I agreed to with PGE? Or did they force this upon me? Is it due to the HW I have? Number & size of inverters? Or is it limited by the OCPD that sits between GW2 and Grid? Other?
There have been some discussions here about the site export limit without any clear simple answer. It wouldn't be any more than the maximum AC rating of your solar inverter(s) and might be limited by the maximum that can be produced by the solar panel array (size and orientations). My interconnect agreement says the AC rating is 7.556 kW, but my array won't generate more than 6.4 kW and I have a site export limit of 7.16kW with two Powerwalls.

The interconnect agreements allow PG&E to calculate the maximum generation that will be seen across each grid segment and they do/can deny an interconnect if the local transformer would be overloaded if more solar was added. Exceeding the export that has been agreed to could be very bad for the system. During past VPP event my Powerwalls do get close to 10kW when my house load is high enough to limit the grid export to below the 7.16kW.

In your past posts I see mentions of 10.8kW PV, and I think you have multiple Powerwall 2+ with the built in inverters likely a 7.6kW and 3.8kW which is 11.4kW, so a site export limit of 11.88kW is more than you could like ever produce from Solar.

PSA, if you haven't lowered your reserve yet now is the time. I dropped my reserve to 10% earlier today. I have had my reserve set to 85% for most of the summer as I don't need the full peak credits as a net generator. I usually hit the 85% level prior to 6:00pm, so should get the full discharge credit today.

The VPP tab is showing 5,906 Fleet Homes and with what looks like grid discharge at 190 kW, that dropped to 156 kW and then spiked 350 kW and seems to be in a cycle between 150-350kW over a span of about 4 mins. I'm not sure what this is at the moment, I thought it might represent grid charging for anyone not at 100%, but I'm not sure today. The grid flow is indicating from the houses to the grid, maybe this is the way it always was and they didn't create/code the reverse flow.