Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Vision - What happens above 75 MHP?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you don't disengage before hitting 76mph it will yell at you, disengage AP and you will be stuck in AP jail until you stop and put it in park. It will let you accelerate past 76 but you'll lose AP. You'll still have TACC.

It's extremely annoying, especially on at 75mph highway full of big rigs going 70 where you have to pass them but not impede faster traffic behind you.

If you don't disengage before hitting 76mph it will yell at you, disengage AP and you will be stuck in AP jail until you stop and put it in park. It will let you accelerate past 76 but you'll lose AP. You'll still have TACC.

It's extremely annoying, especially on at 75mph highway full of big rigs going 70 where you have to pass them but not impede faster traffic behind you.
That's what I was afraid of. Pretty crappy move from Tesla (the AP jail behaviour). I can understand disengaging above 75 but put you in AP jail is ridiculous.

That's bizarre. I can't understand the reasoning for leaving TACC enabled at those speeds but disabling the auto steering.

That's what I was afraid of. Pretty crappy move from Tesla (the AP jail behaviour). I can understand disengaging above 75 but put you in AP jail is ridiculous.

Yeah agree, it's annoying. I think it's a holdover that wasn't disabled from the "with radar" limit of 90. But either way, the limit just doesn't make sense either way. In Germany when you hit above that limit, AP is disabled, then once you're below you can reenable it again.

That's bizarre. I can't understand the reasoning for leaving TACC enabled at those speeds but disabling the auto steering.
Yeah doesn't make sense, it's a bit confusing too because it doesn't disable TACC so you think you have to manually control everything then all of a sudden it'll start speeding up on you.

I have no proof but I would guess that they are starting with 75mph and might ramp it up after they gather enough data. This is a new AI system built from scratch, they might want to give it more real miles before pushing it to the limit. Just my opinion...

I think that is everyone's assumption on this, if the 75 mph limit on AP was permanent they would never sell another Model Y or 3 in Texas :)

Keith

I have no proof but I would guess that they are starting with 75mph and might ramp it up after they gather enough data. This is a new AI system built from scratch, they might want to give it more real miles before pushing it to the limit. Just my opinion...
I have no issue with this. 75 was fine, but 80-85 would have been better on a 75mph freeway (I-40 in AZ) .. that said, there's no reason to block AP for the rest of the drive by going 76 or greater, especially since on a 2-lane highway there are many times where you have to punch it to either pass, get out of the way of someone, or something else and sometimes you just don't have time to disable AP before you do it.