Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla VR / AR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1686028289530.png

Reactions: Buckminster
I think Apple thinks so. Clearly they have invested a lot into custom chips and hardware and lots of work into software. I would guess they think the product will be as impactful(to their future earnings) as Apple Watch, iPhone, iPad, Macs, Airpods(individually).

Right now content will be limited and software and hardware will be far from perfect. Next generation will improve hardware and software and they will have gotten a lot of good feedback. Content will be orders of magnitude more. How the product ends up we will see, but people seriously underestimated Apple Watch, Airpods etc. And I have a feeling that many of the people who underestimate Vision Pro have not learnt their lesson as they were the same people who underestimated those products...

Zuckerberg has burnt a lot of money on VR, clearly he thinks so also.

Future will tell how it turns out, but for now I think we should at least not discard the possibility of this becoming as big or bigger than iPhone. Higher probability of this being bigger than Apple Watch/Airpods.
This is a bit different.

They are ski goggles that have a 2 hour battery life and otherwise need to be plugged in.

I absolutely think they will sell to the people who buy anything Apple and some content creators/artist, but VR hasn't taken off for a reason and it's not price. You can get Meta's for $300.

Many find it uncomfortable or get sick with them, but most use for them for a bit and move on. Until someone comes out with something less obtrusive, I can't see this being more than an Apple fan/niche product.

People forget Apple has failed with their TV device, before opening the channel to all services, their Apple Home that was supposed to take over Alexa, etc. Many thought they were going to abandon the watch due to slow sales after the Apple fans all got theirs.

The transparent lens is great, but it would take many iterations before this works out...much like the Apple watch.

Reactions: JRP3
Difference is people were already wearing watches and headphones, carrying music players and phones. No one walks around with goggles strapped to their faces.
Right.

I just don't see how anyone looks at that and thinks it will take off, especially with the poor battery life.

Maybe a future version that are just glasses, sure, but not ski goggles that need to be plugged in a majority of the time.

Reactions: JRP3
As with all the other Apple products I never bought...let's see what other companies come up with in the future.
I might be a bit biased since I have been an Apple fanboy since iBook G3 and AAPL is my second biggest investment after TSLA. But over the years I have heard this argument "I would never buy an MacBook/iPod/iPhone/Apple Watch/Airpods" so many times. Sure that was mostly true, but many of them gave in eventually. But did this statement help the person predict how well Apple would do over the next decade?

I have lots of intelligent friends who said that the airpod was sooo stupid. I thought it was brilliant and predicted it would be success. A few years later:
…if AirPods were a stand alone company it might be be worth $175+ billion and BTW using a 25 P/E is conservative for a company growing revenues/profits by more than 50%

$175+ billion market cap would make AirPods the 32nd largest company in the U.S.

These guys still think Airpods are stupid, meanwhile it's my favourite Apple product.

When I saw the iPhone presentation, the thing I remember the most was Steve Jobs pinch-zooming into an image. There I thought I want that thing. That shiny thing. I bought an imported iPhone from Hongkong and was one of the first to have it where I was. I showed that pinch to zoom to people at bars and they instantly wanted it. Not because of its specs, not because what they can use it for. Because it had the wow magic that PC fanatics struggle to understand that other people want. When I saw Vision Pro yesterday I am not sure if I actually want to work on a virtual desktop or do face calls. But I want to experience the magic of mixed reality! And I am willing to pay a lot to satisfy that addiction in me. My guess is that lots of other people out there also will. Then a few years later, some killer app like the app store, might actually make it useful for me. Until then I and many other people will settle for the magic.

Reactions: Buckminster
I agree those arguments mostly suck but mainly because most depend on anyone giving a crap about Meta and nobody really does.

The first one- the fact you can get a good gaming headset for 1/10th the price that also plays PC VR stuff which Apples won't, is going to more than wipe out the fact the Apple one is sleeker.

I agree those arguments mostly suck but mainly because most depend on anyone giving a crap about Meta and nobody really does.

The first one- the fact you can get a good gaming headset for 1/10th the price that also plays PC VR stuff which Apples won't, is going to more than wipe out the fact the Apple one is sleeker.
Plus the new Meta also does AR, but not near the level of Apple. Both are niche...It's the goggles and battery life that hold both back....mostly the goggles.

Last edited: