Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla vs Others' "Autopilot"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wondering if anyone has driven any of the other new cars out there that seem to have their own version of 'autopilot'?

I've noticed several new cars are advertising their cars with "auto lane centering" with "adaptive cruise control": Nissan, Ford, etc. It sounds similar to Tesla's autopilot but was curious to see how they actually are.

I don't have FSD but I do have AP1. I love using autopilot. Of course I expect Tesla's FSD to be more advanced than other cars out there, but now with a lot of auto makers advertising their "auto lane centering" and so on, just wondering how they compare.

Wife had a loaner 2019 Ford Fusion Titanium two times in a row and it had Ford Co-Pilot 360 and it had a full suite of driving aids...Overall I'd give it a 9/10 the Lane Keeping Assist System was wonky at times and the HARSH vibration you got in the steering wheel whenever you'd veer out of your lane was BEYOND annoying. The Adaptive Cruise is a tad better than my car (it doesn't JAM on the brakes as harsh) it even includes stop and go, whenever someone switched in front of us it was a smooth deceleration from the ACC and when that car moved over it went back up to speed smoothly. The reason it doesn't get a 10/10 is that it doesn't switch lanes for you OR park itself. Overall its a great system and I think Ford did a great job with it, however, I would not take my hands off the wheel and rely on the system alone to keep me in the lane because it can get a little confused at times. The Fusion literally had inflatable rear seat belts HOW COOL IS THAT THO!?!?!

FYI the cooled seats in the Fusion are much better than my P100D's cooled seats.:D

The Fusion had these Saftey Features.
Automatic Emergency Braking with Pedestrian Detection
Blind Spot Information System with Cross-Traffic Alert
Lane-Keeping System (apparently has 3 Different Functions)
Auto High Beam
Driver Alert System
Titanium Trim Adds:
Adaptive Cruise Control with stop and go

Ford also advertises its Rain Sensing wipers as a Saftey feature which I don't really get but OK.

Overall Ford is close but still no cigar. They are improving and that's good.

I much prefer the 2019 Kia Optima's safety systems over the one in the 2019 Fusion.

I own a 2018 Volvo XC60 with Pilot Assist II and it does not perform as well as AP1.

I can be driving on the freeway with Pilot Assist engaged and without warning(no beep nor no popup message), it will begin to drift into an adjacent lane. The only indicator I have is a 1" steering wheel icon in the instrument cluster that changes from green to grey.

Screen Shot 2020-01-23 at 5.59.37 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-23 at 6.01.02 PM.png

• Helpful
Reactions: Jamesus
About 40k miles in 2 VW golfs since 2014:
adaptive cruise control included across the range in the uk - faultless, you set the distance and the aggregation from last minute to chill
Lane keeping - perfect, has the option for you to train it on your preferred position in the lane
Host other other tech - reading road signs and displaying the last 3, blind spot detection, reversing pedestrian stop...

As you'd expect from a mature brand the software just works and doesn't hide behind "beta use at your own risk" or fail to deliver advertised features!

About 40k miles in 2 VW golfs since 2014:
adaptive cruise control included across the range in the uk - faultless, you set the distance and the aggregation from last minute to chill
Lane keeping - perfect, has the option for you to train it on your preferred position in the lane
Host other other tech - reading road signs and displaying the last 3, blind spot detection, reversing pedestrian stop...

As you'd expect from a mature brand the software just works and doesn't hide behind "beta use at your own risk" or fail to deliver advertised features!

I just drove a 2019 golf with adaptive cruise while my MS was being repaired. It's far from perfect. When a car in front would change to right lane and slow down to turn of the motorway, acc slammed the brakes. Every time. Even though lane in front was clear.

Can't comment on lane keeping, this golf didn't have that feature.

• Informative
Reactions: Helmuth
Had a 2018 rental Nissan Maxima a while ago, it had adaptive cruise control that would automatically shut off when traffic in front stopped, then normal automatic transmission creep took over (it didn't hold the brake) and would tap the car in front if you weren't alert.

Either a stupid design decision, or there was some "hold the brake" option buried 37 levels deep in the menus that I didn't find.

A close friend has a 2018 S class (I forget which model) and a Model X. He says the MB version is good, but that the X is MUCH better. A coworker has a fully loaded 2019 E63s AMG, and says that his version does pretty much everything including lane change, taking exits, and is much smoother than Tesla's that he's experienced. Not sure about self park. Obviously no smart summon. But he felt that pound for pound on the highway, current MB version is better.

Some other similar assist features on shipping vehicles that come to mind are:
Nissan ProPILOT Assist Technology | Nissan USA
Super Cruise - Hands Free Driving | Cadillac Ownership

Nissan ProPilot Assist is the worst system I've ever used. You cant just activate the Adaptive Cruise and expect the Lane Keeping Assist systems to automatically activate you have to press multiple buttons to even get ALL the "autopilot" systems working at the same time. They could've made it much simpler to operate. The system works as intended (after you figure out how to activate it).

I want to experience Cadillac Super Cruise. I think that's Tesla's biggest competitor when it comes to AutoPilot.

I've had Nissan ProPilot on my Leaf. At the beginning of last year, they were relatively close in functionality, but today they are pretty far apart.
I've also driven a number of other cars with it.

The basic car following and staying between the lines is probably a little better in other platforms. It's because they take a dumber stance. Keep sensor at 50ft, see lines on either side of road, stay there.

BUT, they tend to give up quickly, They can't make it through many wide interchanges, not enough lines. If the lines or weak, they turn off. So you end up driving down the road, and dependent on road condition, they turn on and off and you have to be intimately aware of the current status. The car may be driving down the road and then decides to give it to you for 200 feet and then take it back.

While the Tesla may wander a little, see shadows (other cars see them as well), it is extremely solid as continuing to drive down roads with really marginal markings.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
when I cross an intersection where the lines are gone - sometimes the car will continue on straight, as it should; but sometimes it gets 'nervous' and the wheel wiggles as it hunts for lines that are not yet there.

it has problems seeing far ahead in an intersection, even when no cars are blocking.

the vision system is just not good enough to be L5 and I'm not convinced it will ever do city driving on its own.

there is no redundancy in cameras, they fog up or stop working sometimes and there is no heater or wiper to clear a blocked camera.

tesla has a long way to go before they can do more than L2+

(I love my car, but I'm honest about what it can do)

Reactions: SilverGS
I dont use auto pilot much but always keep an eye on it to see where it lets you use it and where it does not. I was super impressed once when I was driving at night and it was pouring, I could not see any lanes but AP was able to see all lanes without any issues. I have also had the AP drive in the turn lane once after the road made a curve and there was an intersection with no lines so it entered the turn lane as it was the closest. the speed was ~35mph, and I was surprised to see how long it takes to react and correct even at slow speed.