Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Wall Charger Installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m looking to get an official Tesla wall charger installed in Edinburgh. I have a couple of questions for anyone that’s got the official charger installed.

I’ve read conflicting information on the grants available. Am I right to say that there is no funding available through EST/OLEV for this charger?

Has anyone had any recommendations for who they used in central Scotland / rough costs?

I’m looking to get an official Tesla wall charger installed in Edinburgh. I have a couple of questions for anyone that’s got the official charger installed.

I’ve read conflicting information on the grants available. Am I right to say that there is no funding available through EST/OLEV for this charger?

Has anyone had any recommendations for who they used in central Scotland / rough costs?

I’m afraid there is no OLEV grant for the Tesla wall charger. Chargers that qualify for the grant have to be “smart” chargers (Electric vehicle smart charging) to be eligible for the grant.

A full list of them can be found here: Electric Vehicle Homecharge Scheme approved chargepoint model list - GOV.UK

The EST and OLEV grants only cover chargers with the ability to be 'smart'. The latest gen Tesla charger has this capability but not sure if:

a) It's available in the UK yet
b) If third parties are required to assess it's capabilities as a smart charger before it gets added to the approved list

Is there anything particular that you fancy about the Tesla charger that's worth losing out on the £650 grant?

Wait a month or so if you can for the gen3. Likely eligible, if not, you get a slightly better charger.

I asked the Edinburgh service centre about it in July and they said it was soon into the UK.

Not sure what « soon » translate to for Tesla.

Wait a month or so if you can for the gen3. Likely eligible, if not, you get a slightly better charger.

I asked the Edinburgh service centre about it in July and they said it was soon into the UK.

Not sure what « soon » translate to for Tesla.

I have not seen anything to indicate that the Gen3 version of the TWC is planned to be sold in the UK in the near future (I am happy to be wrong on this). Also, Tesla never bothered to get the Gen2 version approved here for the OLEV grant at the time that being "smart" capable was not a requirement so I also have my doubts they will do so now, if and/or when the Gen3 is sold here. So I am not sure waiting will yield any benefit.