Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Wall Charger only charging at 32A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks UncleCreepy. I am giving my best shot, not working yet
That's weird. At this point I can only assume that there is a hiccup somewhere. Maybe your phone realizes that there is no internet connection while it's connected to the wall connector WiFi and switches back to the router's WiFi.
So let's try this:
  • turn off you router (or at least the WiFi)
  • pull the breaker for the wall connector,
  • restart your phone and turn off the cellular data connection,
  • switch on the breaker for the wall connector,
  • connect to the wall connector WiFi,
  • if your phone tells you that the internet is unavailable with the wall connector WiFi, stay connected anyways,
  • try to reach 192.168.92.1
If that still doesn't help then I don't know what else to do. If it helps, don't forget to turn on your router or router WiFi once your done.

Good luck :).

Midnightsun: "What happens when you enter 192.168.92.1 in your browser when connected to the tesla wifi? What does it say on your screen?"

When I enter 192.168.92.1 in browser, It shows wifi is "active' but "not connected". It indicated that my breaker is 60A etc... The main thing is it won't allow me to go forward and connect to home wifi. I even turn off Mobile data, someone suggests to turn on Airplane mode which turns off Mobile data... NONE works

nate704: "dumb question. How far were you when you try to connect to your wall connector wifi? I had to be fairly close to the wall connector to get the reliable connection.
No such thing is a dumb question... I was no more than 3 ft from the wall connector

I've doing a lot of readings on internet today, it's not an uncommon issues. People has had the same issue that I have

That's weird. At this point I can only assume that there is a hiccup somewhere. Maybe your phone realizes that there is no internet connection while it's connected to the wall connector WiFi and switches back to the router's WiFi.
So let's try this:
  • turn off you router (or at least the WiFi)
  • pull the breaker for the wall connector,
  • restart your phone and turn off the cellular data connection,
  • switch on the breaker for the wall connector,
  • connect to the wall connector WiFi,
  • if your phone tells you that the internet is unavailable with the wall connector WiFi, stay connected anyways,
  • try to reach 192.168.92.1
If that still doesn't help then I don't know what else to do. If it helps, don't forget to turn on your router or router WiFi once your done.

Good luck :).
UncleCreepy: Yes I am thinking of similar thing, i.e start from scratch. Sometime phone/computer software has a residual memory like a capacitor and I had to unplug devices from my main computer to completely "drain" its memory. Will give it another shot tomorrow and let you guys know the results
Thanks ALL

Whenever I try to access the wall connector, it takes several tries with resetting of both wall connector and "forget this wifi" on my phone. Even after successful connection, if you turn off the browser on the phone or let it turn off the screen, the connection is lost and I have to start over again.

Reactions: WhiteWi
Whenever I try to access the wall connector, it takes several tries with resetting of both wall connector and "forget this wifi" on my phone. Even after successful connection, if you turn off the browser on the phone or let it turn off the screen, the connection is lost and I have to start over again.
Yeah it pretty painful process. Took me around 10 minutes to get in after trying everything humanly possible. 😂😂😂🤦🏼‍♂️

• turn off you router (or at least the WiFi)........ YES, I TURN OFF WiFi CONNECTION ON MY PHONE
  • pull the breaker for the wall connector,.......... YES, I TURN OFF BREAKER for 60 SECONDS
  • restart your phone and turn off the cellular data connection,... YES, I RESTART Samsung S21, TURN OFF the CELLULAR DATA CONNECTION
  • switch on the breaker for the wall connector,..... YES, after 60 SECONDS I TURN BREAKER ON
  • connect to the wall connector WiFi, .... YES, I SCAN the QR CODE and PHONE CONNECTED to TESLA CHARGER
  • try to reach 192.168.92.1.... YES, I SCAN the TESLA QR CODE then select BROWSER and put it 192.168.92.1
and IT CONNECTED ALMOST INSTANTLY , did not even ask for the password of my home WiFi? Maybe somewhere in the last 24 hrs I already put it in during my frustration

I am glad that I ran into this issue, now I have a much better understand of how things work

Thank U ALL and Enjoy your Tesla. I Enjoy my 1996 MB E-320 until I get MYLR

Have a nice day guys/girls

Just wanna share with U guys some pics of final product

20220505_135826.jpg
20220505_121923.jpg
20220505_174029.jpg

1651946168739.gif
1651946168739.gif

Did you install it yourself? Good job if you did!
No, a certified master electrician did it for me. He has done 10 of them so he can figure things our quicker than I could. His parts (60A breaker + approx 50 ft of conduit) and labor was $950. He drilled a hole thru a cement slap from my garage to basement ceiling then 'fished" conduit to above the drop ceiling to all the way to my 200A breaker. Took him 2 hrs to get all done (probably 5-6 hrs for me)

Everything is working now so one less thing I have to take care of

Pros... what do I do wrong?
(1) MYLR is on order so I don't have it yet
(2) An electrician installed the Gen 3 Tesla wall charger in our garage yesterday using 60A breaker and 6 gauge wires inside a flexible conduit (I assume much better than bending pipes?}

I went thru the process to commission the wall charger
(a) My Gen3 wall charger now has a "blinking" green light. WHAT DOES IT REALLY MEAN?
(b) I used my cell phone to scan the QC code (SSID and WPA2). It found the Tesla wall connector , so I accepted/connected to it
(c) I used my cell phone to scan the QC code (or http://192.168.92.1) ..... BUT I could not get it connected to the point where it allows me to set the 60A breaker and so on...

WHAT DO I DO WRONG. I plan to restart the steps again , but maybe some of U may have gone thru the same pains who could guide me
Much appreciated
Thanks guys/girls

Enjoy your Tesla
I had similar problem when I installed my Gen3 wall connector. I was able to connect to the charger's WIFI but the configuration home page does not finish loading (only has a logo and a spinning icon). This behavior happens all the time when I used Chrome on my iPhone. When switched to Safari, it finally loaded after I refreshed 3 times. I quickly setup the current setting to 50A, then connected the charger to my home WIFI and updated the firmware. The home page loading problem was resolved after the new firmware upgrade. I suspect the firmware that shipped with my charger had the webserver hang issue.

Pros... what do I do wrong?
(1) MYLR is on order so I don't have it yet
(2) An electrician installed the Gen 3 Tesla wall charger in our garage yesterday using 60A breaker and 6 gauge wires inside a flexible conduit (I assume much better than bending pipes?}

I went thru the process to commission the wall charger
(a) My Gen3 wall charger now has a "blinking" green light. WHAT DOES IT REALLY MEAN?
(b) I used my cell phone to scan the QC code (SSID and WPA2). It found the Tesla wall connector , so I accepted/connected to it
(c) I used my cell phone to scan the QC code (or http://192.168.92.1) ..... BUT I could not get it connected to the point where it allows me to set the 60A breaker and so on...

WHAT DO I DO WRONG. I plan to restart the steps again , but maybe some of U may have gone thru the same pains who could guide me
Much appreciated
Thanks guys/girls

Enjoy your Tesla
I had similar problem when I installed my Gen3 wall connector. I was able to connect to the charger's WIFI but the configuration home page does not finish loading (only has a logo and a spinning icon). This behavior happens all the time when I used Chrome on my iPhone. When switched to Safari, it finally loaded after I refreshed 3 times. I quickly setup the current setting to 50A, then connected the charger to my home WIFI and updated the firmware. The home page loading problem was resolved after the new firmware upgrade. I suspect the firmware that shipped with my charger had the webserver hang issue.

I have a 2022 Model 3 LR that is charging at 32/40 while I have two other Model Y’s that are charging at 40/40 from the same mobile connector. I have no idea what is causing the difference.
I have the same situation. We had a charger installed with max 48 amps. Our 2022 model Y says 40/48A, which is fine because I limited it to 40 on the charging screen. Our 2021 model 3 says 32/32A and I can’t make it go higher. Why?

I’m not an electrician but I had some phone support from my cousin who is a contractor. I installed a gen 3 wall charger 3 weeks ago and went with a 60 amp breaker. I’m getting 48amps which is the maximum output for the wall charger and I did that so I have the ability to reduce the output if I want in the app. Everything is working out fine for me but as the instructions and my cousin told me, you have to make sure you have the right size breaker and properly rated wires to ensure you get the right amps safely.

If it's on a 50 amp breaker then the max is 40 amps. You can change the charge rate in the touch screen under charging. Try going in there and hitting the + to see if it will go up to 40.

If you have a 60 amp breaker the TWC may have been commissioned incorrectly for a 50 amp breaker which limits it to 40 amps instead of 48.

The standard range model 3 with LFP battery has a max charge rate of 32 amps. So if it's a SR M3 and your seeing 32/32 this is normal.