Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Wall Charger only charging at 32A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2021 MY and a Tesla Wall Charger installed. The circuit breaker is 50A. The charging screen on my MY says 32A/40A (~30 miles/hr) and it would absolutely refuse to go higher than 32A. Is this common? The electrician says this is normal. I thought that the TWC is supposed to support even higher charging rates and a 50A breaker should allow me to charge at 40A. This is not a major issue since 32 miles/hr is more than sufficient but I am just curious since there may come a day when the little bit of difference may be relevant. I usually charge after midnight when almost nothing else in the house is running (other than the usual always-on appliances like fridges, etc.).

The mobile connector is only rated for 32 amps. The circuit is 50 amps so if you wanted max power you would have to get a Tesla wall unit and have the electrician wire that into the circuit... even then you can only load a circuit 80% continuously, or 40 amps.

It's probably not worth it for the extra 8amps at 240v (or 1.9kW)...

Edit: Reading isn't my strong point today... so if it is a Wall Unit, you should 100% be getting 40 amps out of it.... can you select in the car for 40 amps?

Reactions: zpaul and Mike_TV
If it's the wall connector -- the wall connector itself may be limiting it to 32 A. I have the Gen 2 wall connector which included a dial inside that you set to the appropriate max amps for your circuit. Check the dial if you have a Gen 2. If you have a Gen 3, I believe all of that info is set via Wifi. Sounds like your wall connector is set to max 32 A for some reason.

I’m curious why the charger that came with my model y only charges at 32amps. Similar to the original post, why does Tesla limit their mobile chargers to 32 amps? My understanding is 80% of the circuit. So theoretically speaking the mobile charger should charge at 40 amps based on my limited understanding of electrical code.

I have a 2021 MY and a Tesla Wall Charger installed. The circuit breaker is 50A. The charging screen on my MY says 32A/40A (~30 miles/hr) and it would absolutely refuse to go higher than 32A. Is this common? The electrician says this is normal. I thought that the TWC is supposed to support even higher charging rates and a 50A breaker should allow me to charge at 40A. This is not a major issue since 32 miles/hr is more than sufficient but I am just curious since there may come a day when the little bit of difference may be relevant. I usually charge after midnight when almost nothing else in the house is running (other than the usual always-on appliances like fridges, etc.).
Probably wall charger settings .. V2 has a switch inside to set the max charge rate, V3 you set via WiFi.

Is this a gen 3 wall connector? If yes, then it needs to be commissioned after install. To do this you login to the wall connector wifi and configure it for your setup (see instructions).

To comply with code the continuous load can not exceed 80% of the rated amperage for the circuit. So in the case of a 50 amp circuit your max would be 40 amps.

With that said the gen 3 wall connector can charge at up to 48 amps but in order to do that you need a 60amp circuit. For a new install of a Tesla wall connector a 60 amp circuit is preferred if your installing a new circuit for the charger. I would only use the lower amperage if i already had a circuit wired and wanted to avoid running a new one. If your spending the money for a new circuit just go with a 60amp unless there is another compelling reason not to. They can load share as well so if you add a second wall connector down the road having 48 amps is more desirable.

Just for future reference, if someone else has the same problem:
If the wall connector was the problem, the screen would show 32/32 A, not 32/40 A. The 40 indicates that the wall connector is set up to provide 40 A. Also, if it's not a LR, you'll never see [whatever]/40 A. The SR+ or whatever Tesla likes to call it today will negotiate a max current of 32 Amps with the Wall Connector which will in turn not show its own maximum current, but that of the car.
What I believe happened is that the OP accidentally dialed down the max charging current to 32 Amps. I can't think of any other scenario that could result in the car displaying 32/40 A unless it's getting close to full.

Reactions: TomB985
The Gen 1 Mobile Connector could do 40A but there were issues with heat (from premature failure to melting). Tesla lowered it to 32A for the Gen 2 Mobile Connector.
I have been using a gen1 for years - no issues with heat. I think they went down to 32A mostly due to cost savings.

I prefer the gen2 32A mobile connector for keeping in the frunk for traveling, but I use the 40A gen1 charger for charging at home. It charges the car 25% faster, which is significant to me.

Pros... what do I do wrong?
(1) MYLR is on order so I don't have it yet
(2) An electrician installed the Gen 3 Tesla wall charger in our garage yesterday using 60A breaker and 6 gauge wires inside a flexible conduit (I assume much better than bending pipes?}

I went thru the process to commission the wall charger
(a) My Gen3 wall charger now has a "blinking" green light. WHAT DOES IT REALLY MEAN?
(b) I used my cell phone to scan the QC code (SSID and WPA2). It found the Tesla wall connector , so I accepted/connected to it
(c) I used my cell phone to scan the QC code (or http://192.168.92.1) ..... BUT I could not get it connected to the point where it allows me to set the 60A breaker and so on...

WHAT DO I DO WRONG. I plan to restart the steps again , but maybe some of U may have gone thru the same pains who could guide me
Much appreciated
Thanks guys/girls

Enjoy your Tesla

The issue from the OP is he put a wall charger on a 50A circuit. I am almost 100% positive to charge at the 48A you need to install it on a 60A breaker. Nothing to do with anything else other than he installed it on a 50A not 60A.

Someone I am sure will correct me if I am wrong. The Tesla charger that used to come for free goes on a 50A circuit and charges at max 32A. At least it does for us and works perfectly.

Reactions: UncleCreepy
@ CMPT PAD

You simply need to connect to the wall chargers wifi.

The wall connector needs to have a single pulsing green light active to be able to connect to it. 2 ways of getting this to be active as it only lasts for 5 minutes or so once activated.

Cut off power to the unit and reapply or hold the "charge port door open button" on the plug end of the cable for about 5 seconds until all green led's light up.

Once you have a pulsing green light, go into your wifi settings on your phone and select the Tesla wall connector wifi in order to connect to it.

Now open a browser while on the tesla wall connector wifi and type in http://192.168.92.1 which should bring up the menu of the wall connector. I say should because I usually get a spinning circle that does not connect and have found that if I swipe the screen down and hold it there, it does finally connect and does so every time I do this. (could be my Brave browser causing this)

Once in, scroll down until you see installation and in there you can select the breaker size. Normally you should not touch this as it automatically detects this somehow. You cannot set how many amps you want to charge at as this is determined by the breaker size it selected.

FYI, the wifi is weak on the wall connector so you need to be within about 20 feet of it to pick it up.

Last edited:
@ CMPT PAD

You simply need to connect to the wall chargers wifi.

The wall connector needs to have a single pulsing green light active to be able to connect to it. 2 ways of getting this to be active as it only lasts for 5 minutes or so once activated.

Cut off power to the unit and reapply or hold the "charge port door open button" on the plug end of the cable for about 5 seconds until all green led's light up.

Once you have a pulsing green light, go into your wifi settings on your phone and select the Tesla wall connector wifi in order to connect to it.

Now open a browser while on the tesla wall connector wifi and type in http://192.168.92.1 which should bring up the menu of the wall connector. I say should because I usually get a spinning circle that does not connect and have found that if I swipe the screen down and hold it there, it does finally connect and does so every time I do this. (could be my Brave browser causing this)

Once in, scroll down until you see installation and in there you can select the breaker size. Normally you should not touch this as it automatically detects this somehow. You cannot set how many amps you want to charge at as this is determined by the breaker size it selected.

FYI, the wifi is weak on the wall connector so you need to be within about 20 feet of it to pick it up.
(1) The wall connector needs to have a single pulsing green light active to be able to connect to it: YES IT HAS A SINGLE PULSING GREEN LIGHT ON

(2) Go into your wifi settings on your phone and select the Tesla wall connector wifi in order to connect to it. : YES I DID THIS

(3) Now open a browser while on the tesla wall connector wifi and type in http://192.168.92.1 : I AM CONFUSED HERE. In order to type in htttp://192.168.92.1 DO I HAVE TO SWITCH TO MY HOME WIFI NETWORK ? I SCAN QC CODE WITH THE TESLA ICON IN THE MIDDLE ... NONE WORK. WHEN I SELECTED OPEN in BROWSER or SOMETHING LIKE THAT IT SAID " THIS SITE CAN'T BE REACHED, TESLA.COM's DNS AĐDRESS COULD NOT BE FOUND .

Getting frustarted

Last edited:
No, you don't switch back to your home WiFi. Stay connected to the Wall Connector and enter 192.168.92.1.
This only works while the green light is pulsing. You might also have to turn off your cellular data connection to ensure your phone will attempt to reach said address via WiFi and not via cellular data (which will fail).
Only after you completed the setup you can reconnect to your home WiFi.

Last edited:
No, you don't switch back to your home WiFi. Stay connected to the Wall Connector and enter 192.168.92.1.
This only works while the green light is pulsing. You might also have to turn off your cellular data connection to ensure your phone will attempt to reach said address via WiFi and not via cellular data (which will fail).
Exactly.

No, you don't switch back to your home WiFi... OK THANKS
Stay connected to the Wall Connector and enter 192.168.92.1 YES I DID THAT
This only works while the green light is pulsing YES I DID THAT
turn off your cellular data connection YES I DID THAT

I EVEN MANUALLY ENTER THE SSDI of WALL CHARGER

STILL , WIFI is NOT CONNECTED
I am confused

DO I HAVE TO REBOOT my HOME WIFI ROUTER? I DON'T SEE HOW THIS WOULD HELP?

Thanks UncleCreepy. I am giving my best shot, not working yet