Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla wall connector gen3 overheating fix

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm getting this issue as well (3 red flashes while I have the green stream as it's charging). I didn't see this until I was notified that 2021.4.3 was available for my S. It has happened at least 2 times. I'll call the 510-249-2490 number in a bit since they are on Pacific...

I've been fighting this issue for 9 months. (3 red flashes while I have the green stream as it's charging) I've decided to tear it off the wall and just let an election put in a 50 amp wall connect. Just a pain, I called the number and got snapped at.

The temperature sensor is in the backplate, so the whole unit should be replaced, not just the faceplate. I had this issue starting in January. Power reduced to 33 Amps from 48 Amps.They sent me the
Part Number 1457768-01-G
version of the wall connector. No issues since the electrician replaced the entire unit.

Apologies if this is slightly off-topic, but this thread came up when researching my issue. I don't yet have my vehicle (expected next week), but I did have the Gen3 wall connector installed. Part number is 1457768-01-G.

After install, commissioning went fine - set to 60A, one single solid green light at top, all good. This morning I noticed that all 5 LEDs on front of unit were solid green (though I do see some blue in the middle - it's sort of hard to tell). I powered off then on so that I could access the wall connector SSID. Device had updated to 1.4.4 overnight.

Concern is that the 5 LED lights are staying lit up, even several minutes (i.e. 30) after powering on and letting the unit sit there.

Since I don't have my vehicle yet, I can't test it. I'm wondering if this light combination indicates a problem though? Trying to resolve prior to getting my car, if I can.

Thanks for the insight.

EDIT: added clarity on the lights staying on.

Attachments

• IMG_0080.jpeg
    IMG_0080.jpeg
    386.9 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
If this happens after you turn on the breaker, or for 10 seconds after you press and hold the charging handle button, it is just confirming that you are using a 60A circuit breaker and getting the maximum 48A output. 5 green sequencing leds means the same thing while charging the car. It is in the manual which I have attached below.

Attachments

• Tesla Gen 3 Wall Connector Manual.pdf
    859.5 KB · Views: 66
If this happens after you turn on the breaker, or for 10 seconds after you press and hold the charging handle button, it is just confirming that you are using a 60A circuit breaker and getting the maximum 48A output. 5 green sequencing leds means the same thing while charging the car. It is in the manual which I have attached below.
Thanks for the reply. They're not actually sequencing, just solidly lit up. This is even after 30 minutes of being powered-on without touching the unit. Can't find that indicated in the manual anywhere.

Have you set up the configuration and saved it when you attach directly to the connector to see its version number? Go through each step displayed and set it up, and then save the configuration. Maybe it hasn't been "commissioned" in this manner yet? Other than that, turn the breaker off and back on. If the unit still shows 5 solid leds after a minute or so, something may be wrong. The only way to get timely support is to call Tesla Home Charging Support team at 877-961-7652 and select the option for wall connector. The team is available M-F 8 AM to 5 PM PST.

Reactions: brianld
Have you set up the configuration and saved it when you attach directly to the connector to see its version number? Go through each step displayed and set it up, and then save the configuration. Maybe it hasn't been "commissioned" in this manner yet? Other than that, turn the breaker off and back on. If the unit still shows 5 solid leds after a minute or so, something may be wrong. The only way to get timely support is to call Tesla Home Charging Support team at 877-961-7652 and select the option for wall connector. The team is available M-F 8 AM to 5 PM PST.
I'll give it another shot. Thanks for the help.

Finally got to the bottom of my issue ... called the Home Charging Support number (thanks @DerbyDave ), and spoke with a rep. She indicated that all 5 LED solid green is a Standby and ready to charge status, akin to the top LED being solid green. This is due to the new 1.4.4 firmware, and the documentation on their website doesn't reflect the changes, as it was written in January of 2020.

5 LED solid green is a Standby and ready to charge status, akin to the top LED being solid green.

That's weird.

Not to contradict the Tesla rep, but I just had my Gen3 "F" revision Wall Connector replaced today with a "G" revision from Tesla, due to the false overheating sensor error.

I just finished commissioning the new Wall Connector a few minutes ago. It quickly updated to 1.4.4, and I only have the top solid green LED in Standby mode.

My previous "F" revision Wall Connector also had firmware version 1.4.4, and it also only turned on the top LED on solid green when in Standby.

Have you tried running the setup process again? Try selecting a different amp setting this time just to see what happens. You can always go back to the correct amp setting later.

Maybe the firmware didn't deploy correctly during the update. (It's not frequent, but it happens from time to time to Tesla vehicles as well).

Reactions: tinkererguy
That's weird.

Not to contradict the Tesla rep, but I just had my Gen3 "F" revision Wall Connector replaced today with a "G" revision from Tesla, due to the fake overheating sensor error.

I just finished commissioning the new Wall Connector a few minutes ago. It quickly updated to 1.4.4, and I only have the top solid green LED in Standby mode.

My previous "F" revision Wall Connector also had firmware version 1.4.4, and it also only turned on the top LED on solid green when in Standby.

Have you tried running the setup process again? Try selecting a different amp setting this time just to see what happens. You can always go back to the correct amp setting later.

Maybe the firmware didn't deploy correctly during the update. (It's not frequent, but it happens from time to time to Tesla vehicles as well). Maybe select a different type of.
I am in the exact same boat as you. I don't get 5 green LEDs, just the top one when it is in standby. I had overheat issue, just replaced last month, updated overnight the first night. Different result. With wacky Tesla updated, however, getting unpredictable results seems all to common. It is probably going to work fine once the car gets attached. Maybe it only shows 5 LED green until it is initially plugged into car.

I am in the exact same boat as you. I don't get 5 green LEDs, just the top one when it is in standby. I had overheat issue, just replaced last month, updated overnight the first night. Different result. With wacky Tesla updated, however, getting unpredictable results seems all to common. It is probably going to work fine once the car gets attached. Maybe it only shows 5 LED green until it is initially plugged into car.
Interesting. Maybe it will change behavior once I initially connect it to my car. I'll try to remember to report back to this thread. I do have the "G" revision of hardware.
Maybe the firmware didn't deploy correctly during the update.
I thought that might be possible too, however the web UI seems to indicate all is well. See screenshots below.

Attachments

• IMG_0082.PNG
    IMG_0082.PNG
    251.6 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0083.PNG
    IMG_0083.PNG
    206 KB · Views: 67
Reactions: tinkererguy
Quick update on this, as I received my car yesterday. Everything works great! The car immediately started charging at the full 48A. Shows a rate of 45mi/hr.

So, the 5 green LED lights seem to be the new norm in terms of standby state on a 60A circuit. At least in my case. Unclear to me why some of us would see differing behaviors if on the same firmware, unless it has something to do with the combination of HW + FW I'm on.

TL/DR; 5 Green LEDs in standby is not an issue.

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9