Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was reading the warranty statement. Regarding battery warranty there is a statement that exposing the battery to -30 degrees celsius for a 24 hour period could mean its not covered... As we have temperatures that can be well below that temperature in Sweden what does this mean? Sure I live in Stockholm and its not very often that cold. But if it is what situations does this warranty not cover? I did read that Elon would cover any situation regarding the battery... Yes this issue might never affect me but when reading the warranty I see other things than the warranty that Elon states in his marketing. Sure i can argue who the heck leaves the car in minus 30 without connecting it to the grid but it could be a situation... An ice would start without issues when defrosting... I understand the reasoning totally but it do contradict the warranty for foolish drivers... Thoughts?

If I were you I would report to Tesla your problem, also because it's a problem that all people in Northern Europe have IMO. I am sure that Tesla is available to fix your problem.
Strange that our TMC friends from Norway didn't find this issue. Maybe that they could be helpful in this case.

If I were you I would report to Tesla your problem, also because it's a problem that all people in Northern Europe have IMO. I am sure that Tesla is available to fix your problem.
Strange that our TMC friends from Norway didn't find this issue. Maybe that they could be helpful in this case.

How many buyers would leave their car, unplugged, outside for 24 hours?
Here in Minnesota (USA) we have cold spells where the temps might reach those levels, but I park my car in a garage which never reaches that level (not heated but it is insulated) and I always have some for of outlet available.

Agreed. In your mail I would include something like this (if the first 4 sentences are indeed true for your location)...

"We've had power outages in the past. Sometimes they last more than 24 hours. Sometimes they happen in -30C weather. Sometimes they happen in both conditions at once. In such a scenario, is it expected that my battery will be harmed? In such a scenario, will my battery warranty be voided?"

Yes this is my point. There could be a power outage or going skiing in the north and issues with power or charging... Another note: Nothing regarding the fire thing in the warranty statement... Actually when reading it it feels more like what is included rather than not included? Yes this is the warranty statement in europe with tilburg referenced. Not sure if its different to the US warranty statement?

This is the exact statement
"In addition, damage resulting from the following activities are not covered under this Battery Limited Warranty:• Exposing the vehicle to ambient temperatures above 60°C (140°F) or below -30°C (-22°F) for more than 24 hours at a time;"

note it says the vehicle and not battery...

Last edited:
I believe at temperatures below -25C the Model S may do some battery pack heating even while parked. This should not be an issue if the car is plugged in, but might become an issue eventually if the car is unplugged. Probably the warranty term would not be enforced unless there was clear neglect resulting in the pack going flat.

Agreed. In your mail I would include something like this (if the first 4 sentences are indeed true for your location)...

"We've had power outages in the past. Sometimes they last more than 24 hours. Sometimes they happen in -30C weather. Sometimes they happen in both conditions at once. In such a scenario, is it expected that my battery will be harmed? In such a scenario, will my battery warranty be voided?"

+1 on this... totally has happened in the past in Canada...

Since the problem of power outages could cause such a severe damage to the Model S IMO best thing would be if Tesla produced and gave (as an option of course) a portable solar panel able to charge the Model S in situation of power outages.
Such a system would be also useful to charge the Model S in emergency situation (for instance if you are on vacation and you cannot plug in for any reason).
I just gave a look on internet to search for something like this but I only found a very heavy (500 kg) portable solar system that wouldn't suit IMO.

Since the problem of power outages could cause such a severe damage to the Model S IMO best thing would be if Tesla produced and gave (as an option of course) a portable solar panel able to charge the Model S in situation of power outages.
The surface area of the roof is not enough for significant energy. The panel for the Karma could only get about 4-5 miles of range in a week during sunny days and it's only about enough energy to run a small cooling fan. And in the cold conditions described in this thread, I doubt there would be enough sunlight even for that.

As for enforcement of this in the warranty, I'm willing to bet it's the battery temperature sensor in the car and an attempt to prevent cold soak to the battery at those temperatures. Legally in written terms, Tesla probably won't change it, but they can choose to be more lenient in enforcement depending on the situation (for example, actual neglect and a very long period left in those conditions vs. just barely over the 24 hours and efforts made to prevent that). They did the same with the whole bricking thing (said they would cover it, even though I'm not sure the written warranty says that).

Last edited:
best thing would be if Tesla produced and gave (as an option of course) a portable solar panel able to charge the Model S in situation of power outages.
Disagree.

Model S - FAQ - Tesla Motors Club - Enthusiasts & Owners Forum
V
Should Model S have a solar panel?
V
Rough transcript from 2:00:

This is a huge 120W solar panel. It's big. It's curved. It looks really neat.

But, if you live near the equator. It's sunny all the time. You park your car outside all the time. Well then you might get about 200 miles of charge per year. If you do the math on that, that comes out to about $10-$12 of free electricity per year.

This solar panel was originally going to be a $5000 option on the car.

If you figure $5000/$10 ... It would only take you 500 years to break even on the cost of the solar panel, assuming that you live in the right place and you leave your car outside for 500 years.

I will most definitely pass on this for any vehicle that I purchase unless the numbers change significantly.

There are some use cases that I might be a little comncerned about. Lets say parking at the airport. The temperature can swtich quickly during the winters. Still not very common to be able to connect at the aiports over here. On the other hand i guess I will take a taxi as I dont like parking an expensive car overnight at the airport. ;-) basically the concern would be power outages when cold or not able to connect the car in some situations and cold outside. Guess its more of an what if discussion and so far we have not heard of any warranty issues due to cold or hot weather.. Always interesting tomread the warranty claims.,its clear they where made in the country where you can sue anyone for anything... ;-)

For me a big part of this was that the warranty statement doesn't say that this is not an issue if the car is plugged in. It says that exposure of the car to -30C or below for more than 24h voids the warranty. Period. No mention of unplugged and this is what I tried to get some answers to a month or two ago from Tesla and didn't get a clear answer:

According to the warranty of the Model S, the following activities are not covered under this Battery Limited Warranty:

- exposing the vehicle to ambient temperatures below -30 C for more than 24 hours at a time

We generally advise our customers to let the car plugged in. This is better for a longer lifespan of the battery. As for your questions, I can only tell you, what the warranty says.

And that's where the communication stopped. If anyone else now writes to ownership or what not, then do post here what they answer.

There are other threads on this warranty language from last winter. I have been hoping that Tesla will at least add language to cover the battery below -30 C when plugged in. I think they will cover it, but I don't like it not being in the written warranty.

GSP

Agree! As we live in countries that every winter has temperatures below -30 that means that all cars outside in that temperature has the battery void of warranty... Meaning Tesla dont have the best but worst warranty on paper... Sure if they never use this no issue but based on the warranty no cars should be sold in Alaska, Canada, Nordics, Russia, estonia, lithuania etc... Probably not in northern Germany, Poland etc either... ;-) ICE cars survive in -50... There is a good reason many car companies do their wintertesting in northern sweden... Any videos/learnings of model s in extremely cold weather? What would happen if the battery froze? Game over? Curious... Not that I see issues for me personally as I have a warm garage...