Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Much colder than that if you factor in windchill, which should be included when talking about a vehicle exposed to the elements.
Windchill will accelerate heat exchange (reducing the time window), but does not really matter when talking about inanimate objects. Windchill does not lower the actual temperature (it just feels that way to us humans).

Windchill will accelerate heat exchange (reducing the time window), but does not really matter when talking about inanimate objects. Windchill does not lower the actual temperature (it just feels that way to us humans).

Right. Windchill was developed mostly so that folks could brag about how cold it was where they lived.

There are exceptions to this is, such as under cases of early morning dew that can form on everything outside. That along with some wind will cool things down below the actual ambient temperatures. Since this tends to happen near the coldest point in the day, it can be important to some solar panel calculations.

Peter

There are exceptions to this is, such as under cases of early morning dew that can form on everything outside. That along with some wind will cool things down below the actual ambient temperatures. Since this tends to happen near the coldest point in the day, it can be important to some solar panel calculations.
Yes you are right. Condensation removes heat from the dew and into the air and thus it's possible for those surfaces to be a lower temperature than ambient air temperatures. However, from what I can tell, at most it'll change temperatures by a couple degrees, not nearly as much as the wind chill indicates.

Right. Windchill was developed mostly so that folks could brag about how cold it was where they lived.

I was going for more of a boast. :tongue:

Perhaps, but my car still takes considerably longer to warm up if it has been sitting out in the wind.

Perhaps, but my car still takes considerably longer to warm up if it has been sitting out in the wind.
As I said, it accelerates the heat exchange, which means your car will get cold faster in the wind than without wind. If your car sat out there for long enough that it's fully cold soaked there would be no difference between the two cases.

However, when talking about a set temperature target (in this case the freezing point of electrolyte) no amount of wind will cause it to freeze if the ambient air temperature isn't colder than that target (outside of the exception bluetinc pointed out). And any temperature sensor that measures temperature for warranty purposes (if it exists) will not be including any windchill in it.