Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Weekend Social - Decrypting the Cryptic Message

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's cryptic is that Summon seems like a bit too simple of a feature to take up a whole breakfast. "Press this, then this, and the car moves forward or backward for up to 40ft." And then you still have all your pancakes to go through and nothing to talk about.... Either this is a real "for dummies" sort of thing, or they have more to say than is obvious.

Speaking of schooled - how does a Company like Tesla send an email full of errors? Event is on Sunday April 16th (that would be Saturday the 16th) at the Tesla store in Paramus, NY, which is actually in Paramus, New Jersey! Even worse, the event is scheduled to take place in the year 1916, rather than 2016. Holy Crap!

upload_2016-4-15_0-31-51.png

upload_2016-4-15_0-32-45.png

• Funny
Reactions: henderrj
I attended the event here in Vancouver BC today (4/16). Coffee and mini-donuts, a short general talk about misc Tesla news plus an in-store live demo of Summon. (If you know the Robson St store here, it's a tiny space). I guess maybe 60 or so customers attended plus quite a few Tesla employees on hand including service centre staff. Met some nice Tesla owners and chatted with a bunch of the staff.

Store was closed for the private event. They took names/email addresses at the door. I wasn't able to RSVP online but my advisor said just show up. No problem joining. Wouldn't suggest going way out of your way to attend but I had to be downtown today anyhow so a good chance to talk in person to staff.

Attended the Sunday Social here in San Diego (UTC) today. Similar to earlier report, 60+ attendees, Starbucks coffee & Danish, a number of Tesla folks from the Store, a 5-10 minute thank-you and intro to Summon in the store, but then we adjourned to the 2nd level of the rear parking structure (above where the MS test drive vehicles are), and had perhaps a 20 minute further demonstration of Summon on a MS that was already there, ready-to-go. The Tesla folks were well prepared, helpful, and taking a myriad of questions from owners on subjects from A-Z.

Not a lot of new info for me personally, but there were surprisingly only a handful of us that raised our hand when asked "who has used Summon" at the beginning of the morning. As much as I frequent TMC and try to keep up with what's going on, the event really drove home an important point to me -- there is a large population of Owners than don't keep up with capabilities being enabled like some of us that frequent TMC do, and a lot of those Owners appear to perhaps update their firmware, but I don't think read the release notes or try any new capabilities once they drive away from taking delivery, or unless an Advisor at a Service Center direct them to. I know I talked to 3 different owners about how to use Summon and a number of other things I considered basics anyone who had spent any time looking at options on the 17" would perhaps have some clue about. These sort of Socials may be a way to try and get the word out to those folk. It seems to be an interesting challenge for Tesla! especially as the owner demographic continues to expand.

Interesting to me was that the MX sitting in the showroom alongside a P90D seemed to be the hit. It was jammed before, during and after the event before the store officially opened with MS owners wanting to check it out, sit in the seats and watch those falcon wing doors do their thing. I admit, I was one of them oogling the new ride, since it's the first physical MX I've seen -- but I wasn't into taking a selfie with the MX like several others were. :;

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
I also just attended the event in Sunnyvale. My experience was much like some of those above as far as seeing how few have actually used it.
In addition to the demo by Tesla, I got a chance to show a couple folks the real world application of it when a model X tried to pull in to charge at the destination charger there. The spaces are pretty tight and I showed how it can be used to pull into and out of such parking spaces.

This may become the norm as more and more Teslas hit the road with the model 3. I suspect that this feature will be used to minimize the parking requirements for chargers.

That said, the highlight for me was meeting others and sharing modifications and experiences of our vehicles.
I got a chance to meet TeslaTap and a few others. All in all a great event and I look forward to more of these events in the future.

I took (dragged) my wife to the Burlingame showroom around 11:30. Very few people left and donut box was empty. Could have gotten coffee but it was 80 degrees outside. Saw someone we knew who had recently ordered an MX and they were looking at the one in the side lot that had dealer plates. The sales rep we know told me someone had bought it, driven it over 2000 miles and promptly returned it in a week or so. His complaint was he didn't like having to charge it.
So the best thing was being able to play around with the automatic driver door, the falcon wing doors, middle seats, and folding down the 3rd row. Didn't know the head rests also fold down in the 3rd row. I had my wife try to open the falcon wing doors with me standing close to the car and I was about 18 inches away before they would open partially. Cool. Nice opening to get into the 3rd row. Fun half hour.

... but there were surprisingly only a handful of us that raised our hand when asked "who has used Summon" at the beginning of the morning. As much as I frequent TMC and try to keep up with what's going on, the event really drove home an important point to me -- there is a large population of Owners than don't keep up with capabilities being enabled like some of us that frequent TMC do, and a lot of those Owners appear to perhaps update their firmware...:;

Bert, there were a lot of people in the same boat as me at the event (early adopters who don't have the Summon feature)...They should have asked THAT question... :)

I attended the event in the Rocklin, CA SC. As was mentioned in prior posts, it was surprising to me that only a minority of us raised our hands when asked, "Who has used summon?" I was standing next to a MS owner who has owned for 2 years and he did not know about this forum. The other big surprise was the recent Easter Egg (Rainbow Road). I believe there were only 3 (me included) who knew about it (probably close to 50 in attendance).

I hope Tesla continues to do these. It was great to go and help answer new owners' questions on practical daily Tesla usage.

I got the impression that one of the secret reasons behind these was to instruct owners on the proper way to use features like summon. I almost felt as if this was a subtle way of saying, "yes, your car does this; don't be stupid with it".

Reactions: Jaff