Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla - where are my (HW2) auto rain sensing wipers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a quick update on this. User manual for Model 3 is out on the internet now, and guess what, no automatic wipers, which means that apparently Tesla doesn't think they can get it working with the AP2/AP2.5 hardware. Automatic wipers will go down the same way as "park and summon anywhere on private property on AP1", "blind spot monitoring", 691hp, etc - all those ended the same way, Tesla just stopped talking about it, but no refunds of course. :(

• Helpful
Reactions: xborg and TaoJones
Just a quick update on this. User manual for Model 3 is out on the internet now, and guess what, no automatic wipers, which means that apparently Tesla doesn't think they can get it working with the AP2/AP2.5 hardware.

At most it means that it's currently not working at AP2/AP2.5. Manuals can be updated, especially those in PDF form.

Nothing in the manual I got at delivery said I could keep the HVAC running more than 30 minutes when I'm not in the car, but guess what, now I can.

Reactions: Snowstorm
At most it means that it's currently not working at AP2/AP2.5. Manuals can be updated, especially those in PDF form.

Nothing in the manual I got at delivery said I could keep the HVAC running more than 30 minutes when I'm not in the car, but guess what, now I can.
The manual that came with our 2017 MS described automatic wipers (and yes, it was updated for other refresh changes, so it was no the old manual). Maybe it's like the 691hp I bought from Tesla, the rubber on the wipers is capable, just not the rest of the car.

• Funny
Reactions: tccartier
anyone else pick up on this?

upload_2017-12-10_21-5-49.png

ahhh - no timescale stated by Elon - oh well I guess he will have to hold a hat back then.

Just a quick update on this. User manual for Model 3 is out on the internet now, and guess what, no automatic wipers, which means that apparently Tesla doesn't think they can get it working with the AP2/AP2.5 hardware. Automatic wipers will go down the same way as "park and summon anywhere on private property on AP1", "blind spot monitoring", 691hp, etc - all those ended the same way, Tesla just stopped talking about it, but no refunds of course. :(

I don't think so. I just think in Model S/X they have that wording due to the same manual applying to older cars as well...

On Model 3 they can be more accurate more easily.

Probably doesn't say much about the future either way.

You are right about Tesla missing a lot of promises on P car Performance, AP1 features and AP2 timeline of course.

I don't think so. I just think in Model S/X they have that wording due to the same manual applying to older cars as well...

On Model 3 they can be more accurate more easily.

Probably doesn't say much about the future either way.

You are right about Tesla missing a lot of promises on P car Performance, AP1 features and AP2 timeline of course.
Well, notice Tesla still lists FSD feature on their website, but got rid of automatic wipers as a feature for S/X. Interpret that any way you want.

Are you sure? Mine are the worst wipers I have ever had on a car. The washer fluid just about reaches the window and the blades are flimsy and pretty useless.

Ain’t that the truth.

I erroneously assumed that they would have fixed at least the coverage of the top third of the windshield issue from 2014 to 2017, but no.

Instead, I now have wipers that still don’t clean the top third of the windshield worth a damn, go through gallons more wiper fluid per year than with any other car, *and* no longer have the auto-sensing wiper feature.

One could say that’s been a microcosm of the entire experience from AP1 to AP2, really.

Of course, those gee whiz features oft ballyhooed hither and yon are just around the corner and coming soon.

Except those will be interior refresh features in Q2 2018. Doh!

And perhaps improved AS (enhanced lanekeeping and transition management) in Q1 (one can only hope).

Whether we get the auto-sensing wiper feature back before Tesla’s home-grown board due 2019-2020 is anybody’s guess.

Are you sure? Mine are the worst wipers I have ever had on a car. The washer fluid just about reaches the window and the blades are flimsy and pretty useless.
PIcked up a set of PIAA Si-Tech Flat Blade wiper blades a few months ago for my 2017 Model S after seeing a recommendation on TMC. They seem to do a much better job than the factory blades.
Not cheap, but well worth it here in the northwest.
I actually went to their physical location in Portland OR and they installed them for me.
Also available on Amazon:
PIAA 97070 28" Si-Tech Wiper https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M8MDZZP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_ifClAbP9VAWXZ
PIAA 97045 Si-Tech Silicone Wiper Blade - 18" 450mm (Pack of 1) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004BT8DJG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_XgClAb1GKXDWF

3004 NE 181st Ave.Portland , Oregon 97230
P: 800-525-7422
PIAA | Si-Tech Flat Blade
--------------------------------
Order Details
Item : 28" (700Mm) Si-Tech Silicone Wiper Blade
SKU : 97070
Quantity : 1
Item Price : $32.99
Item Total : $32.99