Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla - why there is no real competition and why there won't be soon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For now. If 15% of the cars on the road are electric this will change.

Slow and steady...
15% of new car sales is one thing. Plug-ins are under 1% now in the USA. (appx 160,000 versus 16MM annually in USA)
But 15% of cars on the road is a sustained 15% new-car sales for over 10 years as the fleet ages.
So, get new-car sales of plugins up by a factor of 15 and keep it there for 10 years and we might see 15% of cars on the road.

Slow and steady by only a few makers.
I just read an article about how Hyundai is starting up a new luxury brand "Genesis" Like Toyota with Lexus and Honda with Acura etc.....
Talk is about how it will take a good 5 years for name recognition and to start up it's own dealership network. What surprised me was not one word was mentioned about an EV to be produced. Maybe i'm wrong, IDK everything about Hyundai's and they do make the Kia soul hybrid but , not even a thought ? EV's sure appear to be the future to me

I just read an article about how Hyundai is starting up a new luxury brand "Genesis" Like Toyota with Lexus and Honda with Acura etc.....
Talk is about how it will take a good 5 years for name recognition and to start up it's own dealership network. What surprised me was not one word was mentioned about an EV to be produced. Maybe i'm wrong, IDK everything about Hyundai's and they do make the Kia soul hybrid but , not even a thought ? EV's sure appear to be the future to me

Hyundai looks like they are aiming for the bottom half of the 5-series/ E-class/A6/ GS series buyers. Build a really nice car but no need to push performance or technology limits.

BMW, Mercedes and Audi have been pushing to the top end by adding higher performance variants and more tech features. The 528i is still a great car, but not where BMW is trying to take this market.

Along comes Tesla with more performance, a science fiction drivetrain and better for the environment. Plus price range in the upper band.

BMW & Mercedes need to respond to Tesla, Hyundai maybe not (at least for now).

Happened to read Audi's latest magazine that was sent to my address (the previous owner was an Audi guy so they keep sending it even though he doesn't live here for 6+ years). While browsing through they had a section on future and how to combat CO2 emissions. They have basically three options:

g-tron -> natural gas or gasoline engine. Shortest term solution by their reconing
e-tron -> PHEVs (not even a sliver of a mention of a fully electric version) with ca 50km range on electric
h-tron -> So Audi too is making a bet on hydrogen. That part I hadn't known before...

There are many who say that Tesla’s meteoric rise in the auto industry can not continue because there will be competitors coming that will take a bite out of their market. Well I feel that there are no real competitors to Tesla at present and will not be for quite some time. Why? Well we really need to see what a real competitor to the Model S would have to have in order to compete. Here is a list.

1) Fully electric - No hybrid can compete because a hybrid is poor with acceleration, carries unnecessary extra weight in the form of two propulsion systems and also has more moving parts that need to be maintained and repaired all at an increased priced as compared to an ICE car. I think hybrids appeal to buyers of ICE cars that want better gas mileage, not electric cars. Being a hybrid is why the Fisker failed and also why the BMW i8 won’t do well. Besides, hybrid cars have poor acceleration as compared to the fully-electric Model S.

2) Design - Lets face it, at present an electric car is expensive due to the cost of the batteries. This will change in the future and when it does, Tesla’s car prices will come down, but in the mean time electric cars are expensive. Given the expense, no one wants to spend a lot of money on something that looks bad. This is one of many disadvantages of the Nissan Leaf and why it can’t compete with the Model S. Same with the BMW i3.

3) UI - In 2007 When Steve Jobs introduced the iPhone it was a leap in usability in that any application can have any UI it wishes to and this can change dynamically with future updates. This is also exactly the reason that the 17-inch touch screen is a huge advantage for Tesla even if it was an ICE vehicle. Users love the touch interface and the ability to have remote updates with new features. This is the most under appreciated feature of the car. In the future all car interfaces will be like this.

4) Super Charger network - If you are going to have a fully electric car, you need to have a way for people to go on long trips. Tesla is at least 2-3 years ahead of anyone else in this and building this network requires a lot of legwork. Getting the technology, permissions, construction, etc. By the end of 2014 the vast majority of the country will be covered. I think that this is the single biggest barrier to entry for a competitor. There may be a company that builds a car in every aspect very similar to the Model S, but without a supercharger network, why would anyone but it over the Tesla?

5) Tesla Service - I’ve owned many cars including many expensive ones such as a Mercedes, BMW, and Porsche, but by far the Tesla service experience is so superior. First is the fact that with minimal moving parts, the amount of time the car needs to be serviced is much lower and the experience of the Tesla service is second to none.

So whenever you read or hear that other companies will soon be competing with Tesla, please remember that any competitor must have all of these features. The lack of even one is really a deal breaker. This is why Tesla has no competition at present and not soon to have any in near future. The TSLA stock may well have gotten ahead of itself and we may see some pullback, but long term this company is a paradigm shift for transportation.
Sort of related: Tesla has used this time to build a brand. I used to scoff at apple stores and years ago the iphone was not as dominant. There are many phone competitors. Yet apple has grown in this hyper competitive market. The store is so compelling, that the kids want to go to it, to of course play around on the pads, etc. Tesla should borrow a page from apple and include a several gaming pads with small chairs... Forza?

Other auto companies do not have that brand identification. They are trying: bmw put a 'store' gallery in south coast plaza. Of course there is a draw, since kids and guys who have to come to the mall with the family have to do something. The presence of a gallery store in the mall validates tesla branding at stores...

If I am at a mall with a Tesla store I am stopping by for awhile just to look over the same options I have seen a hundred times. I just like talking Tesla :)
The Hyundai Genesis is a really nice car and I thought about getting one a few years ago. The wife wanted her Lexus so that's what we got. A Genesis EV would be a legit competitor to Tesla,BMW etc................

Here is an article about the Hyundai Ioniq
Details About Hyundai Ioniq Electric Car Emerge
All electric vehicle in 2017. Lifetime warranty on the battery.

• Informative
Reactions: bonaire
With the GM news coming out Friday after close I expect a small bump to TSLA this week. If Tesla delivers a modest amount of 3's in 2017 they will further distance themselves from the competition, be it GM, and european brand or Chinese newcomer.