Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla will allow transfer FSD to a new Tesla only till the end of September?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is the first sign of Tesla budging on this issue. I'm sure they're using it to gauge it's reception. I'm hoping that they'll make it a permanent option, especially given the up front costs.
I was thinking they might be forecasting a demand slip for Q3 and this was a demand lever they had to pull.

All speculation of course.

These are the terms. It looks to be worded so that if you were to sell the new car that FSD was transferred to then FSD would be removed from it. Even with a private sale.

Per section 4:
”The Full Self Driving capability can only be transferred once and so cannot be transferred to another vehicle or to another person even if the vehicle is privately sold. This offer cannot be combined with any other promotion, and is not redeemable for cash.”

IMG_8754.png

• Informative
Reactions: TrevTremaine
These are the terms. It looks to be worded so that if you were to sell the new car that FSD was transferred to then FSD would be removed from it. Even with a private sale.

Per section 4:
”The Full Self Driving capability can only be transferred once and so cannot be transferred to another vehicle or to another person even if the vehicle is privately sold. This offer cannot be combined with any other promotion, and is not redeemable for cash.”

View attachment 958303
I didn't receive this email. Anyone in Canada receive this email?

Per section 4:

View attachment 958303

I wasn't aware of that. It seems like a bad deal. Sure, you get to transfer it to your new car, but you lose the ability to recoupe any value from it in a future sale. Ouch.

Reactions: Tony_YYZ
I wasn't aware of that. It seems like a bad deal. Sure, you get to transfer it to your new car, but you lose the ability to recoupe any value from it in a future sale. Ouch.
Not a lot of value when selling a used car with FSD from what I've seen. It is pennies on the dollar. Even Tesla doesn't give you much back in on trade. So this is an awesome deal if you actually are considering a new one and want FSD on it.

Not a lot of value when selling a used car with FSD from what I've seen. It is pennies on the dollar. Even Tesla doesn't give you much back in on trade. So this is an awesome deal if you actually are considering a new one and want FSD on it.
Agree. I need clarify two things before I put an order 1) If I sell old one through private, could I transfer FSD.. 2)How much Tesla deduct the trade in value for FSD from my current car?

If you sell your current car that has FSD in a private sale, the FSD cannot be transferred to the new purchaser if you want to take advantage of rolling the FSD onto your new Tesla purchase. The private purchaser who buys your existing vehicle will only get basic AP.
Currently, this does NOT apply to EAP; it only applies to a transfer of existing FSD to a new Tesla.

Considering FSD has almost no value in the used market, recouping your original purchase price on a new one is the best deal you are ever going to get for your "used" FSD. I typically see one year old cars with FSD selling for very little more than the same care without it.

Only thing that depreciates faster than a 2021 Plaid is FSD...

If you sell your current car that has FSD in a private sale, the FSD cannot be transferred to the new purchaser if you want to take advantage of rolling the FSD onto your new Tesla purchase. The private purchaser who buys your existing vehicle will only get basic AP.
Currently, this does NOT apply to EAP; it only applies to a transfer of existing FSD to a new Tesla.
Tesla changed the wording on that condition, so FSD now stays with the new vehicle to new owners.

I am actually thinking of upgrading my 3 to Y. That's sad not able to transferring EAP myself. IMHO, EAP or FSD is just an app on a hardware platform, app goes with the owner not the hardware assuming hardware supports the app :)

I am actually thinking of upgrading my 3 to Y. That's sad not able to transferring EAP myself. IMHO, EAP or FSD is just an app on a hardware platform, app goes with the owner not the hardware assuming hardware supports the app :)
I agree, but Tesla's never been deceptive about it. They've always maintained that EAP and FSD remain with the vehicle. This new transfer option is an exception and we can only speculate why Tesla is offering it. I hope it eventually becomes a permanent offer, but I'm not going to bank on it.

Some info getting from Tesla sales:

my questions:
1) If I sell my old Tesla through private sell, what is the procedure to transfer the FSD to the new Tesla.
2) If I trade in my old Tesla, what is the procedure to transfer the FSD.
3) I have heard I need to order the new Tesla with the FSD picked and the money will be deduct from final invoice.

Their answer:
1) If you are looking to sell privately you would need to complete the FSD transfer process first, as the vehicle must still be in your possession and under the same Tesla account to qualify for FSD transfer.

2) If you trade-in your Tesla, the value given for FSD will be deducted from the trade-in and you indicate to your delivery advisor that you wish to transfer FSD.

3) When placing your new order, we do ask that you select FSD as a configuration and the price will be adjusted on your final invoice after completion of the transfer.