Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaCam issue - help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I clean off my 32gb USB flash drive, plug it in and things are great and the red light indicates recording. Within a few days tho, I get the grey X. Does this mean the drive is full? I thought it was supposed to be overwriting the drive?

Are you using sentry at all?

Sentry recordings are not overwritten

One hour of video (the normal dashcam buffer that is overwritten as it goes) is about 5.4 GB... but every 10 minute segment saved (either by hitting the camera button to do so, or by a sentry event activation) is another nearly 1 gig (~900 megs) used up and not over-written.

I clean off my 32gb USB flash drive, plug it in and things are great and the red light indicates recording. Within a few days tho, I get the grey X. Does this mean the drive is full? I thought it was supposed to be overwriting the drive?
If you have Sentry mode on all the time and you park for long stretches in a location with lots of vehicular and foot traffic, there will be tons of recordings from three cameras. Sentry Mode recordings are not overwritten automatically.

I have the same problem as OP. Since Sentry files don't get cleared, I presume they must be erased on a desktop computer? My Apple Disk Utility however, does not erase my thumb drive. So my "X" appears to be with me indefinitely?

You don't want to use Apple Disk Utility just to erase files, although it works fine if you want to completely reformat the drive. When you plug in the drive, it should mount and have a volume on the desktop. Just open it, delete the saved recording files, then eject.

You don't want to use Apple Disk Utility just to erase files, although it works fine if you want to completely reformat the drive. When you plug in the drive, it should mount and have a volume on the desktop. Just open it, delete the saved recording files, then eject.

Righto, did that. Thanks. Went for a look and still had an "X". Luckily I had with me a friend who is super savvy, and he came to my iMac and formatted the drive in MS-DOS FAT, or similar, and that got it recording again.