Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaFi and other AWS and GCP clients currently blocked access to Tesla API

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wild guess, too many hacking attempts from rented cloud services... During this CV-19 pandemic I have seen a rise in port scans and other suspicious activities and it is nearly impossible to block any offender when they just hop around those cloud based servers. Only way to handle is to blacklist them all and whitelist the legit ones...

Reactions: richyrich
Don't assume malice on the part of Tesla. The outage could have been inadvertent. Even if intentional, it's likely not as nefarious as some have implied...for instance, their server may have been swamped by 100x more API calls than they planned for, and were merely playing self-defense. It's also possible they found a significant security vulnerability and needed time to correct it.

Regardless, I hope they leave the API open, and maybe even give official permission, ha!

Don't assume malice on the part of Tesla. The outage could have been inadvertent. Even if intentional, it's likely not as nefarious as some have implied...for instance, their server may have been swamped by 100x more API calls than they planned for, and were merely playing self-defense. It's also possible they found a significant security vulnerability and needed time to correct it.

Regardless, I hope they leave the API open, and maybe even give official permission, ha!
I miss this innocence.

Tesla is a for-profit corporation. They’re going to take actions to maximize their utility, the consumers benefit is just an externality

you took the words right out of my mouth. Thinking precisely the same thing. The most entertaining parts about this thread to me are the negative thinking people that are "SURE" (without evidence) that Tesla is concerned about owners "finding out" information on the cars which can hurt Tesla, or other reasons. I never assume anything negative (or positive) until I get better information, yet a lot of people seem to jump to negative conclusions. I am not trying to be critical of folks whom are often worried, just not the way I think.

Last edited:
Reactions: CyberGus and croman
Moi?? Hardly. I'm just a fan of Hanlon's razor:

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"​
Nice, but that’s a bit of a false dichotomy. There are a wide range of causes between malice and stupid.

I find Tesla to rarely be stupid in such manners. Imo Tesla being just another corporation acting in their best interest is not malice.

To exemplify, I don’t think the quality control issues they have are on accident, or malice. It’s lean production that has allowed them to make profit. They should do that if they can. As a frustrated consumer, I should do my part in making it that they can’t.

TeslaMate on GCP still not working for me. Will move back to my Pi today, but leave GCP up for now to see what happens.
I too switched back to Pi and used this <<opportunity>> to start with a fresh install using your excellent instructions. Thanks!

To not let the cloud setup sit idle would it be possible to Cron a daily reverse backup from the Pi backup to the Teslamate in GCP? Maybe even crank up the frequency to twice daily or even hourly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Durzel
I too switched back to Pi and used this <<opportunity>> to start with a fresh install using your excellent instructions. Thanks!

To not let the cloud setup sit idle would it be possible to Cron a daily reverse backup from the Pi backup to the Teslamate in GCP? Maybe even crank up the frequency to twice daily or even hourly.

Quite possibly, I think Rclone does have an option for Google Cloud.

Not sure there’s a lot of value in it though, Google Drive is just as good for storing them :)

I managed to wipe my TeslaMate install by issuing docker-compose down instead of docker-compose stop. The command to start it is “up” so naturally down ought to close it down, right? Wrong.

Unfortunately “down” shuts it down and then removes the containers, with no prompt. Fortunately TeslaMate stores actual data outside of the containers, but I only found that out afterwards. A real lump in the throat moment.

• Helpful
Reactions: BMW740iL
Moderator Note: Many threads were merged. It's not always pretty when this is done, because there can be broken dialogue, but it's also inefficient to have multiple threads discussing the exact same issue. I apologize (profusely) for the intermingling of separate conversations here, but I hope the added efficiency in the discussion makes up for it. Thanks for understanding.

Wonder what the work-around is and whether it'll last?

My guess is they moved to a different hosting provider, away from the big three (AWS, Azure, Google). Tesla might try some whack-a-mole by blocking the IP ranges of the new hosts before writing code to blacklist any host that polls at a regular interval like TeslaFi. They might also see about whitelisting IP ranges of cell carriers since those would presumably be legitimate users.

Moderator Note: Many threads were merged. It's not always pretty when this is done, because there can be broken dialogue, but it's also inefficient to have multiple threads discussing the exact same issue. I apologize (profusely) for the intermingling of separate conversations here, but I hope the added efficiency in the discussion makes up for it. Thanks for understanding.

Maybe not moving a UK centric thread (the other one that just got moved) to a Model Y forum is not the best place for things? The thread had pretty much been cutoff for the people who first created it - not many UK persons are ever likely to wander into a Model Y forum.

Maybe not moving a UK centric thread (the other one that just got moved) to a Model Y forum is not the best place for things? The thread had pretty much been cutoff for the people who first created it - not many UK persons are ever likely to wander into a Model Y forum.

Yeah, when someone in the MS forum told me there were "multiple threads" on this I couldn't find one anywhere. Though the UK forums were the origin, it's obviously a global problem that would best be placed in the "Software: Firmware Updates, Features, Tesla App" forum which isn't vehicle or location specific. It's the first place I looked. I'm no moderator though. :)

Reactions: MorrisonHiker