Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaFi Battery Report - What does your LR car charge to @ 100%?

How many miles on your long range Model 3 at 100%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you looking at High vs Low? That stat is never accurate. Look at High vs Current range is a better indicator of battery health.

upload_2020-1-28_15-16-0.png

Not using much = charge to 50-70%. Storing Lithium cells at high SoC = bad for longevity. Running them down past 10% = bad for longevity. The latter does more damage than the former if repeated in equal amounts. Don't do either if you can help it.

Are you looking at High vs Low? That stat is never accurate. Look at High vs Current range is a better indicator of battery health.

View attachment 505216

Not using much = charge to 50-70%. Storing Lithium cells at high SoC = bad for longevity. Running them down past 10% = bad for longevity. The latter does more damage than the former if repeated in equal amounts. Don't do either if you can help it.

Since you have an LR RWD (???), it looks like you should really compare the high value (assuming it's not garbage data, but 325 miles is 523km so it seems about right) to the current range. (If you're trying to gauge loss of capacity.)

Since you have an LR RWD (???), it looks like you should really compare the high value (assuming it's not garbage data, but 325 miles is 523km so it seems about right) to the current range. (If you're trying to gauge loss of capacity.)

High vs Current (middle row) is about right for 55,000kms (5% loss) after one and half year of ownership. I charge often to 90% for the winter months. Summer is usually 70% unless I have a high usage week and limited to L1 charge. Commute is 120km round trip to work.

You're only down around 11% or a little more, which is quite normal based on reports here (a bit on the low side but not excessively so). A portion of the loss of capacity could be cold nighttime temperatures; you'd have to really make your battery toasty and charge rapidly to 90% to figure out whether that is a factor.
If it had been a gradual decline I would agree, but it dropped like a stone all of a sudden and is still falling. Now at 288@90%

• Informative
Reactions: super20g
If it had been a gradual decline I would agree, but it dropped like a stone all of a sudden and is still falling. Now at 288@90%

This is mine (again). There seems to be a pattern in drops, whereby there is an initial big drop at about 4-5 K miles, and then it declines from there. Have been to the SC a couple of times, and each time they say, "Its normal, but if it continues and you are worried about it come back". They also keep saying, they all do that, and it will stabilize.

Well, after a brief period where it stabilized, its, now reverted to it's ever downward trend. (Note, at 4-5 K I have a lack if data - hence the big step, only started capturing it again after I noticed the big drop at that time)

• 'Lost' 13 miles in the last 2 weeks!
  • Plotted data against temperature, and there is no correlation.
  • Pretty stable, 65 degrees in my garage when charging over night.
  • Latest drop happened BEFORE the recent 2020 software update, which I only got yesterday, so not a software change
Service center is like 200 feet from work (and have 2 more within 5 miles of home!) so I may just drop in and ask the question again.

upload_2020-1-30_9-2-9.png

[EDIT] Also, just noticed that the %charge that I usually have when reaching work has dropped by 5% over the last 2 weeks. So not only has the indicated range dropped, but the %charge used for the same journey has changed significantly. (No the weather hasn't changed, not the traffic is the same, no driving the same way, same route etc.etc) ????

Last edited:
I am confused.

What is the difference between the expected range of the Model 3's? I remember originally when the dual motors started shipping the range was the same as the RWD cars, 310 miles. Then after the AWD models had shipped for a while they announced that the RWD could actually get 325 miles. A software update was supposed to come out and change our display to reflect the full range the LR RWD cars could actually get.

Then I stopped paying attention for a time, now they no longer sell the LR RWD cars, but the Model 3 page says the AWD TM3's get 322 miles. What happened to the 310 range for AWD? Is there no longer a difference between the range of the RWD and the AWD amongst the LR vehicles?

My car has never shown more than 310 range, but at 45K and 2 years on, it still charges to 310. Perhaps I had degradation that was masked by the update to show the higher range, I just don't charge to 100% very often, so I haven't seen these changes. I only do 100% when I am on the road with lots of free time.

Model 3 page says the AWD TM3's get 322 miles. What happened to the 310 estimate for AWD? Is there no longer a difference between the range of the RWD and the AWD amongst the LR vehicles?

The EPA ranges of the AWD have improved (and the RWD would too - it would probably get over 340 miles in a new EPA test (before efficiency improvements it got 334 rated miles and was reduced to 325 rated miles) if the SR+ is used as a reference point, but they have not retested it).

This is all presumably due to efficiency improvements in software over time. You can see the raw data (in orange) here, which does show the improvements over time (the SR+ improvement is not 6.8% though -that's an error on my part). I will be updating that thread at some point, but the picture on the LR RWD is quite confusing and one of these days I'll go back and try to work out what happened, and wanted to sort that out before reposting there.

Perhaps I had degradation that was masked by the update to show the higher range, I just don't charge to 100% very often, only when I am on the road with lots of free time.

I think that's the most likely explanation for you with an LR RWD. You probably have about 310rmi*234Wh/rmi = 72.5kWh available, instead of your initial ~78kWh.

Last edited:
I am confused.

What is the difference between the expected range of the Model 3's? I remember originally when the dual motors started shipping the range was the same as the RWD cars, 310 miles. Then after the AWD models had shipped for a while they announced that the RWD could actually get 325 miles. A software update was supposed to come out and change our display to reflect the full range the LR RWD cars could actually get.

Then I stopped paying attention for a time, now they no longer sell the LR RWD cars, but the Model 3 page says the AWD TM3's get 322 miles. What happened to the 310 range for AWD? Is there no longer a difference between the range of the RWD and the AWD amongst the LR vehicles?

My car has never shown more than 310 range, but at 45K and 2 years on, it still charges to 310. Perhaps I had degradation that was masked by the update to show the higher range, I just don't charge to 100% very often, so I haven't seen these changes. I only do 100% when I am on the road with lots of free time.

I've been wondering the same thing. Stats has never showed my AWD higher then 310

I've been wondering the same thing. Stats has never showed my AWD higher then 310

Check back in when you update to 2020.40.1 and let us know what happens. Also keep an eye on that Energy Consumption screen and recalculate that charging constant before and after the update!

I'd be a bit surprised if 2020.40.1 didn't bring the AWD on board with 322 rated miles. Nothing is really changing, of course, most likely - it's just a nominal change from 310 on the display to 322 on the display with no underlying change. (Possibly efficiency is, but it would be very hard to know.)

Check back in when you update to 2020.40.1 and let us know what happens. Also keep an eye on that Energy Consumption screen and recalculate that charging constant before and after the update!

I'd be a bit surprised if 2020.40.1 didn't bring the AWD on board with 322 rated miles. Nothing is really changing, of course, most likely - it's just a nominal change from 310 on the display to 322 on the display with no underlying change. (Possibly efficiency is, but it would be very hard to know.)

Oh interesting. how do you recalculate a charging constant? I'll deff track the before and after.

Oh interesting. how do you recalculate a charging constant? I'll deff track the before and after.

All numbers need three digits, for accuracy, which generally means do this at a reasonably high SoC:

Projected Range (mi) * Recent Efficiency (Wh/mi) / Remaining Rated Miles (rmi) = Charge Constant (Wh/rmi)

Currently for you this should work out to ~245Wh/rmi.

Last edited:
How should I get a good recent efficiency? Take a short trip with nothing on? ac/heat etc?

It doesn't matter; it makes minimal difference as long as all the numbers still have three digits. In fact, you just need as high a value for all three numbers as possible, for maximum accuracy (which is generally going to mean the higher your SoC the better - but 60-70% is likely just fine). You can even switch to km for better accuracy (assuming all numbers are still three digits...) and multiply the result by 1.6093 (then round to three sig figs) to convert to Wh/rmi.

Last edited:
All numbers need three digits, for accuracy, which generally means do this at a reasonably high SoC:

Projected Range (mi) * Recent Efficiency (Wh/mi) / Remaining Rated Miles (rmi) = Charge Constant (Wh/rmi)

Currently for you this should work out to ~245Wh/rmi.

Per that formula mine also comes up to 245Wh/mi. I was always wondering why there was a discrepancy between rated miles shown versus projected miles even when recent consumption is exactly equal to rated consumption (in my case 250Wh/mi).

IMG_1877.jpeg

What tool are you using to figure that out? What happens when your tires wear or are replaced with a different brand or snow tires? My snow tires have taken me from 247wh/mi to just under 300

I've been using TeslaFi. The battery degradation estimate is not a real range estimate but rather a State of Health (SOH) estimate. I was wondering about your exact point which I started testing since I just swapped my tires too. AFAIK, it won't impact the displayed range in a 2018/2019 model but it might in a 2020.

So in my case the reference will be always be to 310 miles.

Interesting, how do they handle the change in range the Model 3 when thru last year, bumping the RWD from 310 to 325? No change other than software version.

This plot was presumably filtered to only show AWD or only Performance vehicles (there are apparently only 23 other vehicles). For LR RWD, the step up from 310-325 which added ~3.5kWh should just show up in a fairly broad range of miles (maybe there is a way to plot by date but that would be super confusing) for a plot of a fleet of LR RWD vehicles. It won't be a clear step due to the varying numbers of miles when the update was applied. But generally it will occur for odometer readings between something like 6-12k miles, probably, due to the timing of the update relative to the initial volume shipments of Model 3 LR RWD.

It will make for a confusing plot.

I'd like to see a plot for a larger number of 2018/2019 AWD vehicles only, with data back to 0 miles.