Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaFi.com

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey James -

Two things.
1) I noticed today that starting at about 4:15 AM today my car woke up from scheduled sleep, went into idle mode and never attempted to go back in to sleep mode even though it was still within the scheduled timeframe. What is causing that?
2) I saw the verbiage in Settings on how you are planning to implement "Deep Sleep Mode" and noted that, in addition to what you said above, charging will not be polled which I assume means charging data (start/stop, SOC, charge %) will not be logged if it falls within the Deep Sleep Mode schedule. I also am interested to learn what the state of Always Connected will need to be and if it can be combined with the other sleep modes. If it's true that we won't be able to have logged charge data if in Deep Sleep, is there any other way to implement this such as just limiting the frequency of polling rather than turning it off completely? I am hoping there is.

1. It didn't attempt to sleep again because your battery current never reached 0 again after it woke up. TeslaFi Sleep Mode and Nighttime Sleep Mode both work by not attempting sleep until the battery current is at 0. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out the best way to allow for sleep and avoid data loss when I first started to write TeslaF. This was the only "clue" to when the car might actually be close to going to sleep.

2. I changed around the Deep Sleep Mode tonight. It works pretty much like Nighttime Sleep Mode except it doesn't look for the battery current to be 0 and you can specify the polling time. As soon as the Deep Sleep Mode time frame starts and the car is idling it will stop polling all data aside from the online status which tells TeslaFi if the car is awake or asleep. It will continue doing this until either the car falls asleep or the Deep Sleep Mode time to try sleeping (polling time) has exipired. If the car went to sleep it moves into sleep mode and proceed to the next state when it wakes up. If it didn't go to sleep it will poll once or twice then try to sleep again. I don't know what effect the always connected setting will have, hopefully it will work now. At least now we can play with the settings a little more.

Let me know if that makes?

Last edited:
Reactions: hiroshiy
1. It didn't attempt to sleep again because your battery current never reached 0 again after it woke up. TeslaFi Sleep Mode and Nighttime Sleep Mode both work by not attempting sleep until the battery current is at 0. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out the best way to allow for sleep and avoid data loss when I first started to write TeslaF. This was the only "clue" to when the car might actually be close to going to sleep.

2. I changed around the Deep Sleep Mode tonight. It works pretty much like Nighttime Sleep Mode except it doesn't look for the battery current to be 0 and you can specify the polling time. As soon as the Deep Sleep Mode time frame starts and the car is idling it will stop polling all data aside from the online status which tells TeslaFi if the car is awake or asleep. It will continue doing this until either the car falls asleep or the Deep Sleep Mode time to try sleeping (polling time) has exipired. If the car went to sleep it moves into sleep mode and proceed to the next state when it wakes up. If it didn't go to sleep it will poll once or twice then try to sleep again. I don't know what effect the always connected setting will have, hopefully it will work now. At least now we can play with the settings a little more.

Let me know if that makes?
Regarding #2:
1. There's a bug - it won't save my selected timeframe. For example, if I set it to deep sleep at 10 pm and wake at 4 am and submit the changes it reverts back to 9 pm / 2 am.
2. Will it log charges now?
3. Can it be used with the other two sleep modes or is this designed to be standalone?

Regarding #2:
1. There's a bug - it won't save my selected timeframe. For example, if I set it to deep sleep at 10 pm and wake at 4 am and submit the changes it reverts back to 9 pm / 2 am.
2. Will it log charges now?
3. Can it be used with the other two sleep modes or is this designed to be standalone?
I'll check out the saving issue.

It will log charges if your car is asleep since it will see your car has woken up. If your car is not sleeping, it will not see the charge until the next poll happens since you've told it to only poll every x amount of minutes. You'll miss whatever happens until it polls again if the car did not go to sleep.

It will override the other charging options during those hours that Deep Sleep Mode is enabled.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: msnow
I'll check out the saving issue.

It will log charges if your car is asleep since it will see your car has woken up. If your car is not sleeping, it will not see the charge until the next poll happens since you've told it to only poll every x amount of minutes. You'll miss whatever happens until it polls again if the car did not go to sleep.

It will override the other charging options during those hours that Deep Sleep Mode is enabled.
Thanks James.

Yesterday my scheduled 11pm charge didn't start on time. Anyone have this happen? Thanks to the TeslaFi log, I can see that my car was not charging, and decided to go to sleep at 12:18am this morning. It woke itself up at 2:59am and started charging at 3:00am exactly. It wasn't enough time to fully charge before I left for work this morning. Its not really a big deal, but I will see if it happens again. I checked the Tesla app this evening and it shows 11pm scheduled charging start time.

@Jdeck, is there anywhere in a Supercharger detail screen that shows the kW during that moment? Volts are reported via the API as charger_voltage but I'm having difficulty figuring out where amps are reported; I think its showing as battery_current. Is that correct?

I see charger_power but I wasn't sure whether that represented kW (plus it seems to round to a whole number rather than at least one decimal point (useful for those charging slowly). It doesn't seem to match up with my casual observations but I'll study a bit more closely in the next few days.

I just opened 0000173: Show "Average kW" in Charge Data - TeslaFi Bug Tracker that is sort of related to this question.

Last edited:
@Jdeck, is there anywhere in a Supercharger detail screen that shows the kW during that moment? Volts are reported via the API as charger_voltage but I'm having difficulty figuring out where amps are reported; I think its showing as battery_current. Is that correct?

I see charger_power but I wasn't sure whether that represented kW (plus it seems to round to a whole number rather than at least one decimal point (useful for those charging slowly). It doesn't seem to match up with my casual observations but I'll study a bit more closely in the next few days.

I just opened 0000173: Show "Average kW" in Charge Data - TeslaFi Bug Tracker that is sort of related to this question.
Yes, the battery_current is the amps.
I don't think I've ever matched up what charger_power represents. I don't do any formatting to those fields though. If it shows with no decimal points that's the way it's presented via the API.

Hi, @Jdeck , today my car is at the airport parking in Narita and it seems the logging is stopped around 5:28pm JST or 6:28 JST? Currently I'm at +1 hours from JST and TeslaFi says the end of log is 5:28pm, which could be car's timezone or my timezone... Right now it's 11:31 pm local time which is 10:31 pm JST. JST is +17 hours ahead of PST.