Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaMate [megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've just been for a drive and my teslamate is recording fine - none of the above errors.
What else does the log show?
Are your drives showing up ok in Grafana?
What version of teslamate/hardware are you running?
I haven't driven since it started. It just started ~1 hr ago.

Also, strangely when the car goes to sleep the error goes away. But Teslamate doesn't report the car as asleep, it reports it as "offline".

I wonder if these are API updates that are getting rolled out incrementally? It also happened shortly after the upgrade to 2023.38.1 on a MYLR.

Offline usually means that Teslamate hasn't seen the 'gone to sleep' message from the car (technically via the servers) It usually happens when your car is not properly connected to your home network. i.e. it might look as though it's connected to your router, but have no internet access.

Try rebooting your router or answer my questions I'll be able to help better.

Offline usually means that Teslamate hasn't seen the 'gone to sleep' message from the car (technically via the servers) It usually happens when your car is not properly connected to your home network. i.e. it might look as though it's connected to your router, but have no internet access.

I can see where you are coming from, but this seems to be pretty clearly a teslamate bug. The offline thing isn't always repeatable, because it does detect sleep sometimes.

But waking the car with the app is 100% of the time triggering the validation failure on longitude and lattitude. It seems like the car is now not reporting those in some cases and it breaks teslamate. The car is otherwise accessible from the Tesla app.

You've come to a lot of conclusions but only shared one line of logs with us. If you're confident it's a Teslamate bug then you'd best post on the TM Github page.
I could post more logs... but it'd just be teslamate spewing the same error repeatedly due to rapid reattempts, followed by the Tesla API kicking it out for 30 seconds or so. Then it tries it again in 30 seconds or so. Regardless of the root cause, the error handling here is causing issues. Also, my little pebblejs app that I wrote a year or so back still works, so parts of the API are obviously still working.

Specifically drive_state in the API response from https://owner-api.teslamotors.com/api/1/vehicles/{id}/vehicle_data is not including latitude and longitude information.

EDIT: Looks like it is getting more widely reported: Upgrade to Tesla Version 2023.38.1 - Teslamate shows Model 3 no longer available · adriankumpf/teslamate · Discussion #3370 - definitely seems to be car software version related

Last edited:
Has anyone created or modified an existing Teslamate dashboard to answer the question I always get asked by friends considering cars which is :

What real world range do you get from your model Y in the winter months with the heating on all the time

Has anyone created or modified an existing Teslamate dashboard to answer the question I always get asked by friends considering cars which is :

What real world range do you get from your model Y in the winter months with the heating on all the time
To people who talk about "oh, the heating and lights will drain you battery" or any variation of this, including questions from your friends, you should always answer in the manner of:

"If I need to heat with electricity and light my house in winter evenings, I will probably need ~7 kwh of power. Car has 70 kwh battery and is significantly smaller than house"

Reactions: jsight
@jsight tagging you here, but there was a good recommendation from the Github page - did you enable location sharing after 2023.38.1 update? Or validate that the sharing is enabled and the onscreen car has the icon displayed? What does your Tesla app show from a location data perspective?
Tesla app still loads location just fine. It is also available when using the location_data param to the api call, but the format seems a little different.

Reactions: cwanja
Tesla app still loads location just fine. It is also available when using the location_data param to the api call, but the format seems a little different.
My guess is a Tesla API change. After all, we are using an unsupported, non-documented API. Changes are made without notice. No clue if TeslaFi or TeslaScope has been impacted. Not necessarily a ‘bug’, but we can debated that till we are blue in the face. Bigger question will be is Adrian still supporting TeslaMate.

My gut tells me no, but we shall see.

My guess is a Tesla API change. After all, we are using an unsupported, non-documented API. Changes are made without notice. No clue if TeslaFi or TeslaScope has been impacted. Not necessarily a ‘bug’, but we can debated that till we are blue in the face. Bigger question will be is Adrian still supporting TeslaMate.
And there is the rumor that Tesla will be shutting down these unsupported APIs early next year, as they expect users to transition to their new supported APIs: Developer

And there is the rumor that Tesla will be shutting down these unsupported APIs early next year, as they expect users to transition to their new supported APIs: Developer
And then there is this, thanks @MP3Mike. I would rather Adrian come out and say "this will not be transitioned by me" and someone in the community could take it on or it dies. Or the likes of TeslaScope or TeslaFi look at supporting an import mechanism. I have opened an EARLY conversation with TeslaScope regarding such.

• Informative

My gut tells me no, but we shall see.
but tesla API would change for all. not just you

IMO, it is predominantly an unannounced API change and enhancement. But the handling could be a bit more graceful. I'd work on that if I had a better understanding of elixir.
Could be car software version dependent? Especially since only users on 2023.38 right now seem impacted.
Yeah, seems like it is dependent on the version in the car.

"Offline" is a status sent back from the Tesla servers to the API

Not looked at Teslamate for a bit but it appears to have stopped gathering logs until I rebooted it? Can I get back the lost drives at all by having teslamate pull it from Tesla?

I've no drives recorded from the 5th August up until today when I rebooted it!