Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaOffer "Eagle Eye" rear lights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Durzel

Jul 17, 2019
Bath, UK
Hi,

Not seen this mentioned before, just saw it on the TeslaOffer website when looking at their auto frunk and trunk set:

$699 is a lot of money, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't smiling like an idiot at the video on the page...

I noticed that in Europe, Tesla changed the North America's Reverse light to be only on one side and use the other side for the Rear Fog light.

This new rears lights allow having them on both side which is safer. I wonder why Tesla didn't choose this option?

Lights_Demo_Reverse-1-280x280.jpg
Lights_Demo_Fog-280x280.jpg

However, I think the best location for Rear Fog lights should be the rear bumper at a lower hight, similar to the front fog lights

2PCS-LED-Rear-Bumper-Light-For-Tesla-Model-3-S-X-2012-2016-Rear-Reflector-Tail.jpg_q50.jpg

You only need one rear fog light - they are only for the benefit of others to know that there is a potential obstacle ahead and even a single high intensity light will do that. At a couple of hundred yards in the sort of visibility that it is legal to use rear fog lights (ie visibility less than 100m) I doubt you could even distinguish between a car with 1 or 2 rear fog lights.

But a very strong case for 2 good reversing lights. Dramatically reduces unlit areas.

Reactions: Somex and Jez_GB
I'd be interested to see the intensity of the lights in person. As has been remarked before the single reversing light as is on the Model 3 isn't really enough to see what's going on behind you. The reversing lights in these look smaller, and possibly even less illuminating?

What would be pretty cool is if the lights (Tesla ones that is) they had RGB lights, so that the reversing lights doubled up as rear foglights.

What would be pretty cool is if the lights (Tesla ones that is) they had RGB lights, so that the reversing lights doubled up as rear foglights.

It's a good idea and I think something similar will happen to the whole cluster, it's rather like the global headlights are now, one common unit which is configured by region in software. We can't be far from this being the more cost effective way to manufacture.

My 2p worth...
Similarly, if the kit removes the fog lights but the system is still "wired" to use them will it indicate a fault.
And, if there is still a fog light "button" on the control panel, will it be classed as MOT failure because nothing happens when "pressed".
If the fog light function is removed from the control panel, and is non-existent in the tail light, then it might be OK MOT-wise.