Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teslarati : "California passes law banning Tesla from calling software FSD"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Section B refers to all uses of the prohibited terms (not just marketing materials).

(b) A manufacturer or dealer shall not name any partial driving automation feature, or describe any partial driving automation feature in marketing materials

Given the phrasing this is may well be subject to interpretation, which means a court will eventually decide.

(Moderator Note: merged this thread with this current thread)

Finally California gets something right.

Last edited by a moderator:
We already have a thread on this topic.

Reactions: TresLA and Dewg
This has been posted a couple days ago (Teslarati : "California passes law banning Tesla from calling software FSD")

With that said, I don’t see how this changes much for Tesla since the website doesn’t sell software called “Full Self Driving”. Maybe they’ll have to change “Full Self Driving Capability” package? Or the early limited release FSD beta software name? It’s the public’s confusion that has named the Tesla software FSD, but Tesla doesn’t actually use that name.

Of course, it’ll be decided by the courts, but with all the disclaimers and warnings Tesla gives before installing FSD beta or enabling Autopilot, what exactly would they have to change? Unless all other carmakers also have to change ProPilot, Drive Pilot, Intelligent Drive, etc?

Maybe Tesla could just prefix the naming with “Not Yet” and call it a day.

• Disagree
Reactions: glide
This has been posted a couple days ago (Teslarati : "California passes law banning Tesla from calling software FSD")

With that said, I don’t see how this changes much for Tesla since the website doesn’t sell software called “Full Self Driving”. Maybe they’ll have to change “Full Self Driving Capability” package? Or the early limited release FSD beta software name? It’s the public’s confusion that has named the Tesla software FSD, but Tesla doesn’t actually use that name.

Of course, it’ll be decided by the courts, but with all the disclaimers and warnings Tesla gives before installing FSD beta or enabling Autopilot, what exactly would they have to change? Unless all other carmakers also have to change ProPilot, Drive Pilot, Intelligent Drive, etc?

Maybe Tesla could just prefix the naming with “Not Yet” and call it a day.
The law doesn't have anything to do with the actual words "Full Self Driving", it states that the name of ADAS systems cannot be misleading, and they have determined that using the terms full self driving are in fact misleading.

Reactions: Boza and 2101Guy

That is really splitting hairs. All the FSD software features are under the "Full Self-Driving Capability" header. So yes, Tesla calls it "Full Self-Driving Capability" instead of "Full Self-Driving" but Full Self-Driving is still in the name. And the early limited release software is called FSD Beta. FSD is in that name as well. So Tesla does call it FSD and does sell FSD.

And the public was confused because FSD was always a confusing name. Don't blame the public. When you call something FSD, people will naturally assume it really is FSD. Tesla tried to be cute and put a disclaimer saying that FSD requires driver supervision. But that is like selling a car and putting a disclaimer that you will need to push it because the engine does not work yet. Don't call it a car if it is not a functional car! Tesla just created more confusion. Basically the software is called FSD but it's not really FSD but it will be FSD someday but we can't say when it will be FSD. That's confusing. Either call it FSD if it is real FSD or call it something else if it is not real FSD.

But it's really not a big deal. Tesla does not need to change the software, just change the name of the software. It's an easy fix. And there are lots of names that would work. They could just put all the FSD features under "Enhanced Autopilot". Or they could call it "Tesla Driver Assist". Use your imagination. Just don't call it Full Self-Driving since it is not.

That is really splitting hairs. All the FSD software features are under the "Full Self-Driving Capability" header. So yes, Tesla calls it "Full Self-Driving Capability" instead of "Full Self-Driving" but Full Self-Driving is still in the name. And the early limited release software is called FSD Beta. FSD is in that name as well. So Tesla does call it FSD and does sell FSD.

And the public was confused because FSD was always a confusing name. Don't blame the public. When you call something FSD, people will naturally assume it really is FSD. Tesla tried to be cute and put a disclaimer saying that FSD requires driver supervision. But that is like selling a car and putting a disclaimer that you will need to push it because the engine does not work yet. Don't call it a car if it is not a functional car! Tesla just created more confusion. Basically the software is called FSD but it's not really FSD but it will be FSD someday but we can't say when it will be FSD. That's confusing. Either call it FSD if it is real FSD or call it something else if it is not real FSD.

But it's really not a big deal. Tesla does not need to change the software, just change the name of the software. It's an easy fix. And there are lots of names that would work. They could just put all the FSD features under "Enhanced Autopilot". Or they could call it "Tesla Driver Assist". Use your imagination. Just don't call it Full Self-Driving since it is not.
I see your point. And I also see it isn’t a big deal. I don’t blame the public as much as I blame those that know what Tesla says and means but continue to perpetuate the misunderstandings.

• Disagree
Reactions: 2101Guy and glide
I see your point. And I also see it isn’t a big deal. I don’t blame the public as much as I blame those that know what Tesla says and means but continue to perpetuate the misunderstandings.
What on earth does this mean?

Tesla is engaging in false/deceptive advertising at best. At worst, it’s criminal (fraud), since they know they cannot deliver what they have promised on any existing vehicle in the fleet.

So it is a big deal. For the general public and current owners.

I hate to say for once I agree. The problem is the idiots that take things literally and really believe it’s full self driving.
That sounds rather unreasonable. Why would you NOT take feature naming literally? If I tell you that you have a "premium sound system" in your car, do you expect to get in the car to find out that you have one speaker installed in the center of your car? Or do you expect a series of premium quality speakers, complimented by an amp, and a high mid-tier to high tier headunit?

When I say the car has auto wipers, do you expect something other than wipers that turn on by themselves when it starts to rain?

When I say the car has auto headlights, do you expect something other than headlights that turn on by themselves when the lightning conditions are limited?

Did you think before you wrote your post or did you mean something different by it?

When I say the car has auto wipers, do you expect something other than wipers that turn on by themselves when it starts to rain?

When I say the car has auto headlights, do you expect something other than headlights that turn on by themselves when the lightning conditions are limited?
Would it be reasonable to expect a car with both features to turn on the headlights automatically when the wipers are turned on automatically (or after a short delay like some number of wipes in a minute) in compliance with the traffic laws in many places? Or at least have this be a user setting?

Reactions: Ramphex
Would it be reasonable to expect a car with both features to turn on the headlights automatically when the wipers are turned on automatically (or after a short delay like some number of wipes in a minute) in compliance with the traffic laws in many places? Or at least have this be a user setting?

I believe so, just like it’s reasonable to expect “FSD” to not make rights on red in areas where right on red is prohibited.

And if the company can’t deliver either of those functions, they need to reconsider the naming to not fool the average consumer.

Reactions: SR-75 and 2101Guy

Tesla is engaging in false/deceptive advertising at best. At worst, it’s criminal (fraud), since they know they cannot deliver what they have promised on any existing vehicle in the fleet.

Well, since the law is new (coming soon), it wouldn’t “apply” to previous years of naming. What it means is Tesla changes the name to satisfy (not really of course) the naysayers and continues developing “previously known as” FSD beta and features included in FSD Capability and/or Enhanced AP packages.

Again, many have never had an issue understanding that:

1) FSD Capability purchase is a suite of features but only some yet exist, and as new features are invented/created, they’ll be added to the car without additional cost. Existing features will be improved as time goes on. I was never particularly phased by Elon’s optimistic timelines, mainly based on officially Tesla verbiage and my own (limited) understanding of computer learning and real world AI.

2) FSD beta is the precursor to something coming (FSD), and given to a select few (YouTubers or others that couldn’t speak about it) to test, provide feedback, and help develop. It was then opened up to larger and larger groups of people in a cautious manner to help provide more feedback and data, all in the name of inventing and creating a software that didn’t yet exist for any product available for sale to the public.

As many keep saying, predicting the future is hard. Tesla is not the only one missing deadlines or goalposts, whether in the AV world or other industries. Those others aren’t all being found guilty (or even accused) of fraud.

• Disagree
Reactions: glide

And perhaps the most important point: Tesla can answer this thread’s title with, “okay, we haven’t called any of our features FSD, so we’re good!” That’s why the public use of terms matters and how it’s diverged from Tesla’s use. Go back through Archive.org caches of the website and there isn’t any software Tesla has sold to customers called “FSD” or “Full Self Driving”