Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

@TeslaRoadTrip 2014 (Feb 15-17, 2014) - Dinner Event Signup & Details Available!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After filling out the recent email survey this morning to confirm attendance to various sub-events, I am definitely curious to know if there is a rough plan for the time/location for detailing out of town cars?

From my perspective, after driving a few hundred miles to the event site and acquiring the usual winter road grime (especially if there is any recent precipitation), unless the detail happens sometime between check-in Saturday afternoon and the planned group photo early the next morning, it doesn't make sense to me. Well, unless there ends up being a separate group photo event shortly after the detail.

After filling out the recent email survey this morning to confirm attendance to various sub-events, I am definitely curious to know if there is a rough plan for the time/location for detailing out of town cars?

From my perspective, after driving a few hundred miles to the event site and acquiring the usual winter road grime (especially if there is any recent precipitation), unless the detail happens sometime between check-in Saturday afternoon and the planned group photo early the next morning, it doesn't make sense to me. Well, unless there ends up being a separate group photo event shortly after the detail.

dflye,

I just got confirmation this morning that the Residence Inn will provide water access and block off a section of the private street outside of the hotel for the car washers to set up and use during Saturday afternoon and evening. Cars should be clean for the photo which is first thing Sunday morning. :)

Lanny

All -

I know there has been concerns about charging during the event. What follows is an excerpt from an Electronic Information Packet that we will be sending all attendees a few days prior to the event. We are also posting this as a tab on the event website. Hopefully this will put all your minds at ease.....

Event Charging

Charging Ambassadors (Green Badges) have been assigned to help our “Supercharged Travelers” from afar ensure they have an adequately charged car to make it to their respective Supercharger for their journey home. Charging will be prioritized dependent on travelers needs & battery size.

We’ve compiled and tested a large number of L2 chargers within 2 miles of the event hotel. Many of these are within a few blocks walking distance to the hotel. Volunteers will shuttle people to/from chargers where necessary. To help organize & maximize charging, we ask that you don’t schedule your own charging. Instead, please locate one of our Charging Ambassadors to schedule your car for charging.

We have identified several key times for “Supercharged Travelers” to charge their cars:

- Saturday upon arrival.
- Saturday overnight.
- Sunday after the Scenic Drive.
- Sunday night for those not departing until Monday.

Note: We kindly ask that all local attendees fully charge their cars each morning before attending the days’
events, so that we have as many free chargers as possible for our “Supercharged Travelers”.

Any travelers that want to wash their car at my house and/or charge on my HPWC (can you wash a Model S while charging? :confused:) are welcome to come by Saturday 15 Feb! I am only 21 miles west of the hotel. There is also a future Model X owner with an HPWC that lives 1 mile from me, and I am sure he would love to have folks charge at his house. HMU if interested. Jim ([email protected])

Any travelers that want to wash their car at my house and/or charge on my HPWC (can you wash a Model S while charging? :confused:) are welcome to come by Saturday 15 Feb! I am only 21 miles west of the hotel. There is also a future Model X owner with an HPWC that lives 1 mile from me, and I am sure he would love to have folks charge at his house. HMU if interested. Jim ([email protected])

Wow, that is one excited Model X owner. Already has his HPWC!

All -

It's REALLY important that we allow the Charging Ambassadors to coordinate charging for the event. It centralizes everything and will ensure that everyone that needs a charge, gets one. As I stated in the last post - long distance travelers should not schedule their own charging. We have put a lot of work into this - trust us!

At this point, we have fewer long distance travelers than we have available chargers within a 2 mile radius of the hotel (almost half are within walking distance to hotel). I *really* doubt we are going to have to rely on anyone's personal chargers for this event....

Aaron

MountVernonGate.png

When the @TeslaRoadTrip 2014 gathering of Teslas drives to Mt. Vernon next weekend, we will be honoring the legacy of a Washington, DC based automotive journalist named Howard S. Fisk. Link to bio. He was in the very first electric vehicle to drive to Mt. Vernon, 99 years ago on June 16, 1915. Mr. Fisk took the photograph above at the Texas Gate entrance to Mt. Vernon which is still there today.

That first electric vehicle to visit Mt. Vernon was a Rauch and Lang electric brougham. Rauch and Lange was an expensive luxury car, the Tesla of its day. The trip from Washington, DC to Mt. Vernon was made by Alfred Young, H. A. Hall and Howard S. Fisk, the automobile editor of the Washington Star newspaper. Fisk wrote about the trip in a feature article in the July, 1915 issue of Electric Vehicles magazine. Link to full article.

According to Fisk’s article, Young and Hall, who were employed by the Rauch and Lang dealer in DC, “elected to make the overland journey in true modern style by attempting to operate an electric to this place.” The 18 mile trip took about 90 minutes on the new highway. The top speed of electric vehicles in those days was around 20 MPH. At the conclusion of the round trip journey, Fisk reported, "No trouble of any character developed, and as a result of this run the members of the fairer sex who own electric cars in the National Capital are expected to make frequent visits to Mount Vernon, now that the way has been paved and confidence displayed in the electric storage vehicle."

Howard S. Fisk retired on August 21, 1959 at age 81 after 66 years working at the newspaper. If he was around today, I believe Fisk would have no trouble charging and driving a Model S on a road trip to Connecticut.

Final Registration & Dinner Sign Up!

All -

With @TeslaRoadTrip 2014 now less than a week away, I wanted to remind everyone of a few things....

1. You should have received an email from us (unless you recently filled out the registration) with a link to update your registration information. This is extremely important for us logistically! Please make sure you've updated your registration - and please use that link only once or we will have duplicate information.

If you haven't received the email *and* initially registered before February 3rd, please contact us at: [email protected] so we can get you a link to update your information.

2. If you haven't signed up for the Sunday February 16th Dinner - you MUST do so before Thursday February 13th when we must give the dinner totals to the hotel.

3. We will be sending out a welcome email with attached Attendee Information Packet on Wednesday February 12th. This will include detailed information about the event and a final agenda. It will also include the maps for our scenic drive on Sunday.

Thanks everyone... This is going to be a GREAT event!

Aaron