Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

@TeslaRoadTrip 2014 (Feb 15-17, 2014) - Dinner Event Signup & Details Available!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am in Centreville and have an 80 AMP HPWC and heated water to wash the car. I am not giving out my email -but you can contact me on TMC mail system.

Also don't recommend charging while washing - 80 Amps is a lot of power - I always unplug when I wash the car.

I'll be crossing my fingers that whatever storm blows through the east coast tomorrow doesn't take out any power transformers near any Superchargers along the I-95 corridor!

Hopefully won't be as bad as one severe ice storm about a decade ago in Raleigh that knocked our power out out for a week. I might be forced to drive my wife's car, as our solar system is grid-tied, so if the power is out, no "running on sunshine" for me :frown:

I think the closest one should get a prize too. I think I might be close or in the top three. I might have to bring cross country skis if you believe the weather oracles.
If we're going there, may as well have categories for:
Earliest/Latest deposit
Earliest/Latest delivery
Lowest/Highest odometer

Thinking I'll be tossing the snow shovel in the trunk just in case. And depending upon where the storm really dumps snow and ice, may take 2 legs of the triangle from Raleigh NC to the Rocky Mount NC Supercharger and then head up I-95 to avoid what looks like worse weather on the more direct I-85 route.

I think the closest one should get a prize too. I think I might be close or in the top three. I might have to bring cross country skis if you believe the weather oracles.

Sorry Xenoilphobe, there are about 10 folks from Arlington, DC, or Falls Church that would all be a little closer in. If nothing else, this will be a good chance for all of us locals to see who we've been waving to for the past year.

Sorry Xenoilphobe, there are about 10 folks from Arlington, DC, or Falls Church that would all be a little closer in. If nothing else, this will be a good chance for all of us locals to see who we've been waving to for the past year.

I can almost see the hotel from my house, so I am in favor of this as a category.

dflye: I am driving from Tenn across the mountains on Friday. My original plan was go through Boone to Burlington and then to Glen Allen or go through Asheville. Right now I am also looking at the options of going up I-81 and over the Glen Allen. My decision will need to be made based upon the situation near you late Thursday evening. Can you play Jim Cantore for those of us traveling through your area or PM me about the conditions. Thanks

dflye: I am driving from Tenn across the mountains on Friday. My original plan was go through Boone to Burlington and then to Glen Allen or go through Asheville. Right now I am also looking at the options of going up I-81 and over the Glen Allen. My decision will need to be made based upon the situation near you late Thursday evening. Can you play Jim Cantore for those of us traveling through your area or PM me about the conditions. Thanks
Having driven around in the last area snowfall a few weeks ago of a few inches here with 21" tires, the major roads nearest me (I-40 and I-85) were in great shape.

They already had plenty of brine down when I was driving around earlier today, so at the moment I'm expecting at least one lane of highways will be safe for travel. What you experience at the end of the off-ramp may vary wildly, especially the further you venture from the main roads. I definitely had to plan ahead for uphill grades to stop signs to find a path that would leave with with traction by avoid the icy bits or overly compacted snow and not require a full stop.

I'll have a better idea tomorrow of road conditions, as I'll likely be out and about at some point (just not sure if it'll be in my S or in wife's RAV4 with AWD)

All -

Last night we sent out the @TeslaRoadTrip 2014 welcome email and an attached Attendee Information Packet with details about the event. Everyone who registered for the event and confirmed they were coming should have gotten one.

If you did not receive this email, please contact us at: [email protected] and we'll make sure you get it.

Looking forward to seeing you all at this GREAT event!

Aaron

Well, this is a bit bothersome, this east coast storm is going to continue to hit the area until tonight/tomorrow morning. Then come Friday we have another smaller storm working our way through, and then Saturday there is talk of a low pressure system over Washington (state) right now ALSO working it's way over and hitting us... Just not going to get a break here it seems.

I am glad that the S has really great winter driving capabilities, I hope this doesn't keep people from coming... I just wanted some nice clean weather/roads for the events, especially the pictures!

All this winter weather is definitely a shock for those of us down here in NC, glad I work from home!

Had 4 or 5 inch deep mix of mostly snow with some sleet/ice at the end. Took my wife's RAV4 out this morning (wasn't going to risk getting my S involved in a wreck or get stuck) Roads in neighborhood and most of the way to the nearest highway a few miles away were unplowed, so a bit slippery here and there, but not too bad. Once on the highway, usually at least 2 lanes were plowed clear and the main arterial roads that weren't too hilly were reasonable.

Hilly arterial roads may or may not look like this picture from yesterday evening:
1620655_10152011879492266_1975809000_n.jpg

Saw the current condition of that area from an overpass on the drive home, the valley between opposing lanes was pretty much bumper to bumper abandoned cars about 3 cars wide.

So while exciting things were happening and shown all over the local news, at least there didn't appear to be flaming cars out today! Although the folks who abandoned their cars on the side of the freeway are going to have fun digging their cars out of the snow mountains they are buried in from the plowing.

While there is more cruddy weather in the forecast, I think freeway travel should be fine. Getting to the various Superchargers should be doable, as most are located close to the freeway in high-traffic areas that should keep the snow at bay.

I am one of three cars planning to attend this event from Illinois.

I am getting very concerned about the weather ... especially the last 100 miles of 650.

Plan to stay in Somerset Friday; question is ... will the roads be in decent enough condition to get to DC?

Those coming in from, say, Florida ... anyone giving this second thoughts like we are?

I am not trying to rain / snow on anyone's parade. Really want to support Aaron's event but there's a limit. So please do not read into this post that I am trying to discourage anyone (else) from attending!

At least in Arlington, the snow switched to rain very early this morning. We had about 6 inches this morning but now it's melting quick. We may get a bit more this evening, but it's supposed to be above 40 tomorrow. I suspect that most of what's here will be gone Sat.

There is a lot more snow to the north and west. Not sure what PA and northern MD are like right now, but my guess is that the roads will be ok by Sat.

As we all know, weather guessing is not an exact science. I live in the Northern Virginia area, about 20 miles west of Arlington, and we had just over 12 inches of snow last night and this morning. There has been sleet on and off over the past two hours. Temps are just above freezing and so there is a little (very little) amount of melting. For those of you coming from out of town, you can check your own favorite weather channels or you can look at wtop.com. WTOP is one of the radio stations here that does only news, and they are linked with one of the well known weather forecasters in this area (Doug Hill). As of a few moments ago, wtop.com was forecasting some sunshine on Friday giving way to clouds with a chance of a little snow on Friday night. They also note there might be a little snow early in the morning on Saturday. Temps on Friday are estimated between 30 degrees (low) and 41 degrees (high). Temps on Saturday are estimated to range between 22 degrees and 37 degrees. Take a look at wtop.com for further information --- or use your own favorite weather information source. The heaviest snow fell to the west of our area.

I still plan on attending. Unfortunately for me, I don't see how I can keep my car clean for the photo shoot --- since I will drive from my home to the event and it is likely the roads will be wet and with salt/chemical residue. (Guess Aaron will put my car in the rear of the group) :crying:

I still plan on attending. Unfortunately for me, I don't see how I can keep my car clean for the photo shoot --- since I will drive from my home to the event and it is likely the roads will be wet and with salt/chemical residue. (Guess Aaron will put my car in the rear of the group) :crying:

It was nice to dream about a clean car for the last few weeks. I'll be on the same roads you are so maybe the whole NOVA contingent will be in the back, but still grinning :biggrin: