Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

@TeslaRoadTrip 2014 (Feb 15-17, 2014) - Dinner Event Signup & Details Available!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moderator note: After talking privately with Aaron, we decided to move this to the EVents section, leaving a redirect in the Model S forum.

On a personal note, I'm sad I live too far away to join in!

Bonnie,

I know you'll be there in Spirit!!!

Aaron

- - - Updated - - -

+1 Great idea Lanny! East meets West meetup in DC!

Lets all chip in and fly her out and cover her hotel!!!! (seriously!)

Bonnie - leave that weekend open!

Aaron

Lets all chip in and fly her out and cover her hotel!!!! (seriously!)

Bonnie - leave that weekend open!

Aaron

Noooo, not necessary! (But thanks for the thought!) Besides the fact that I have plenty of frequent flier miles, I fly to DC on a regular basis for work meetings. That's what I meant by checking work commits. I hate making that long flight, so if I can combine it with work meetings, that would be ideal.

Any "March on Washington" should include a political element as well as a social one. At least a drive along the Mall, but it would be great if we could arrange something with key congressmen and executive officers, e.g. the Sec'y of Transportation, Energy, etc. Perhaps I'm being too ambitious, but Congress can do a lot of good, or harm, to the evolution of the US car industry towards EVs.

Noooo, not necessary! (But thanks for the thought!) Besides the fact that I have plenty of frequent flier miles, I fly to DC on a regular basis for work meetings. That's what I meant by checking work commits. I hate making that long flight, so if I can combine it with work meetings, that would be ideal.

Bonnie

Keeping my fingers crossed!

Aaron

I am doing a road trip with my SUV from Fla to Ma in a week. I will scope out the Superchargers and see if it will be comfortable for my 60. I think it would take 2 days from S Fla to get to DC, with charging times and all, could probably get to Santee in 1 day then on to DC. Seems like a fun adventure with the cost minimal only the time. Will seriously consider this, it will probably make National News.

I am doing a road trip with my SUV from Fla to Ma in a week. I will scope out the Superchargers and see if it will be comfortable for my 60. I think it would take 2 days from S Fla to get to DC, with charging times and all, could probably get to Santee in 1 day then on to DC. Seems like a fun adventure with the cost minimal only the time. Will seriously consider this, it will probably make National News.

You'd be the furthest yet! Really hope you can make it!

Aaron

As someone who lives in the DC metro area I want to throw in my two cents on the Dulles Air and Space Museum...it is a great place to visit (a "must" in fact) but it is WAY out of town and not the best place to make a statement with this event. The other issue is parking. There are some awesome restaurants in DC (such as Lincoln, the Old Ebbett Grill, etc.) but finding parking could be impossible.

As someone who lives in the DC metro area I want to throw in my two cents on the Dulles Air and Space Museum...it is a great place to visit (a "must" in fact) but it is WAY out of town and not the best place to make a statement with this event. The other issue is parking. There are some awesome restaurants in DC (such as Lincoln, the Old Ebbett Grill, etc.) but finding parking could be impossible.

It's not "way out," (about 25 miles from Arlington) and provided the right route is designed (say increasing the distance to 35 or 40 miles) it can be a really nice drive. I agree that it's not a place to make a statement, however every event doesn't have to be about making a statement.

On the food front, I have to say that my all time favorite restaurant in DC is Obelisk … though it might be a little pricey for some and it's closed on Sunday/Monday.

Thanks for the feedback. It’s about 29 miles from the hotel in Arlington to the Air and Space Museum near Dulles. I think the Sunday morning gathering place or an intermediate destination like Mt. Vernon or perhaps the new Northern Virginia Supercharger, if it is built by then, will be better for a group photo and/or interacting with the public.

Going to Dulles is one of the suggestions for an activity for Sunday afternoon for the local folks and those from out of town who are staying Sunday night. I expect some will have to leave to return home after the gathering and brunch Sunday morning.

Parking in downtown DC is tough. Does anyone have suggestions for good restaurants in the Virginia suburbs with a large parking lot?

Lanny

Thanks for the feedback. It’s about 29 miles from the hotel in Arlington to the Air and Space Museum near Dulles. I think the Sunday morning gathering place or an intermediate destination like Mt. Vernon or perhaps the new Northern Virginia Supercharger, if it is built by then, will be better for a group photo and/or interacting with the public.

Going to Dulles is one of the suggestions for an activity for Sunday afternoon for the local folks and those from out of town who are staying Sunday night. I expect some will have to leave to return home after the gathering and brunch Sunday morning.

Parking in downtown DC is tough. Does anyone have suggestions for good restaurants in the Virginia suburbs with a large parking lot?

Lanny

Lanny

Well put and my thoughts exactly.... Nice drive in the morning with a group shot and public place to interact with others - then Brunch.

Afterwards we can leave cars back by the hotel to charge and carpool people in Model S's to the museum. This is where holding 5 adults becomes a great benefit!

Aaron

To chime in as a local Norther VA'er as well:

The Dulles Air & Space Museum isn't a bad drive from DC... should take 30 minutes or so on a Sunday. If the primary day is Saturday and will have activity scheduled in and around DC, then I think the Air & Space museum makes a nice secondary location for the next day.

Considerations:

- Nice drive from DC without being TOO far. Very easy to get to. It will cost you about $3 in tolls, however.

- Lots of parking (albeit expensive at $14 per person)

- Great attraction... the stuff inside is likely to appeal to most Tesla owners, IMO (I mean who doesn't want a pic of the SR-71 inside?? Or the Space Shuttle...)

- The route from DC to Dulles takes you right past the Tyson's mall, which has a Tesla Gallery inside it. They have 6 parking stalls there with 2 HWPC's and a 14-50 (which I just noticed the other day). Might be a good idea to coordinate with management if the group decides to stop there for a visit to the store...

- Decent places to eat in that area (Recommendation: Clyde's is 15 minutes form there and generally can accommodate large groups. Upper-mid-tier dining/price point. Multiple bars. :) )

- Not a lot of charging options out that way.

- Reachable to potentially 4 Superchargers from there: Glen Allen, VA (108 miles); Newark, DE (120 miles). Hagerstown, MD, and Somerset PA are rumored to be locations, and if open by then, they are 65 and 149 miles away, respectively.

Sounds like a cool weekend... unfortunately rather booked so will probably have to miss the majority of it. I might be able to make Sunday afternoon or evening. I also live about 10 mins from the museum, and might be able to make my HPWC (@ 40A currently) available if somebody's in a pinch if I'm home.

To chime in as a local Norther VA'er as well:

The Dulles Air & Space Museum isn't a bad drive from DC... should take 30 minutes or so on a Sunday. If the primary day is Saturday and will have activity scheduled in and around DC, then I think the Air & Space museum makes a nice secondary location for the next day.

Considerations:

- Nice drive from DC without being TOO far. Very easy to get to. It will cost you about $3 in tolls, however.

- Lots of parking (albeit expensive at $14 per person)

- Great attraction... the stuff inside is likely to appeal to most Tesla owners, IMO (I mean who doesn't want a pic of the SR-71 inside?? Or the Space Shuttle...)

- The route from DC to Dulles takes you right past the Tyson's mall, which has a Tesla Gallery inside it. They have 6 parking stalls there with 2 HWPC's and a 14-50 (which I just noticed the other day). Might be a good idea to coordinate with management if the group decides to stop there for a visit to the store...

- Decent places to eat in that area (Recommendation: Clyde's is 15 minutes form there and generally can accommodate large groups. Upper-mid-tier dining/price point. Multiple bars. :) )

- Not a lot of charging options out that way.

- Reachable to potentially 4 Superchargers from there: Glen Allen, VA (108 miles); Newark, DE (120 miles). Hagerstown, MD, and Somerset PA are rumored to be locations, and if open by then, they are 65 and 149 miles away, respectively.

Sounds like a cool weekend... unfortunately rather booked so will probably have to miss the majority of it. I might be able to make Sunday afternoon or evening. I also live about 10 mins from the museum, and might be able to make my HPWC (@ 40A currently) available if somebody's in a pinch if I'm home.

Thanks for all these suggestions SC!

Aaron

Considering the chargers and Tesla store visit, would Tysons be a good place for a meal?

Lanny

Well put and my thoughts exactly.... Nice drive in the morning with a group shot and public place to interact with others - then Brunch.

Afterwards we can leave cars back by the hotel to charge and carpool people in Model S's to the museum. This is where holding 5 adults becomes a great benefit!

Aaron

Aaron - just saw your pointer to this on the New England sub-forum. I will see what I can do - looks like fun but with kids off school I may need to take them skiing. I agree with Robert that some kind of political meeting would be worthwhile, though probably not the best timing to meet someone - if no one here has the contacts, perhaps we could leverage a group like Plug-In America? The Dulles museum sounds fun but a photo op and Tesla Time on The Mall by The Capitol is also needed.

Lanny

There are some pretty good options out in Tyson's Galleria--not the kind of places I'd take a foodie, but for a big group that needs a lot of parking, they aren't too bad. Daily Grill, e.g., is pretty reliable. Lebanese Taverna is also excellent, though perhaps not for everyone.

Another option much closer to the hotel is Shirlington Village--probably a 5 minute drive. Not a lot of street parking, but there are a couple of garages within easy walking distance, and there are a lot of restaurant options. Carlyle does a very nice brunch (but is usually pretty crowded). There's a decent Mexican restaurant (Guapo's), an acceptable chain brewpub (Capitol City) and a pretty good Indian restaurant (Aroma).

Google Maps

Thanks All -

Love all the suggestions pouring in!

I agree the Mall by capitol hill would be an amazing place to display our cars and engage the public! Don't know how crowded it will be on Sunday - but if it is I would love that!

A lot of final planning will happen when I go down to meet with Lanny and the folks from the DC area on the 11/12th (of January) that have graciously offered their help. The plan is to nail down all the specifics by then.... Events and Food!

Keep the comments coming!

Aaron

Some other thoughts--there are some OK restaurants within walking distance of the hotel, including Jaleo (a tapas place), Legal Sea Food, Ruth's Chris, and McCormick and Schmicks.

Google Maps

There's a big parking lot for a movie theater within a mile or so that will be empty Sunday morning, which might work for a group pic.

Google Maps

There's a big strip mall immediately to the left (Pentagon Row) that has ample parking and a reasonably good restaurant called Hops in the parking lot.

There's a big parking lot for a movie theater within a mile or so that will be empty Sunday morning, which might work for a group pic.

Google Maps

Thanks JST! I've looked at the movie theater lot in Alexandria and that is one good option.

Right now, my favorite is the golf course overflow parking lot in East Potomac Park. I think it will be empty on winter Sunday mornings and I think it would be a great place to start a caravan driving down Ohio Drive and around Hains Point. The long straight sections and two lanes of one-way travel should make a good lineup for photos and video of all the cars together.

I've made this speeded up dash cam video of the three mile route to show Aaron.

Lanny

Last edited by a moderator:
Considering the chargers and Tesla store visit, would Tysons be a good place for a meal?

The mall itself has a number of full-size restaurants in it, in addition to the typical Food Court stuff:

• Gordon Biersch (probably a good candidate given the likely crowd)
  • California Pizza Kitchen
  • Brio Tuscan Grille
  • Coastal Flats
  • La Sandia
  • Luciano
  • Seasons 52
  • TGI Friday's
  • The Burger Joint (I've not been here, I think it's full-size)
  • The Capital Grille (I've not been here, I think it's full-size)

Tyson's Corner has a number of good restaurants in the area as well, but if you opt to go elsewhere, it complicates the parking/charging plans somewhat.

Thanks All -

Love all the suggestions pouring in!

I agree the Mall by capitol hill would be an amazing place to display our cars and engage the public! Don't know how crowded it will be on Sunday - but if it is I would love that!

A lot of final planning will happen when I go down to meet with Lanny and the folks from the DC area on the 11/12th (of January) that have graciously offered their help. The plan is to nail down all the specifics by then.... Events and Food!

Keep the comments coming!

Aaron

National Mall in DC will be a good idea as it is usually crowded with the tourists over the weekends, specially Presidents Day long weekend, (which can invoke curiosity from the tourists and a good opportunity to educate them about EVs in general and Tesla in particular). It will also be nice to have all Teslas parked together in front of the Capitol for a nice photo opp with Capitol in the background. Parking however is going to be a challenge.