Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teslas are welcome in Arizona

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Going back to the HOV plate topic, can we keep the HOV license plate in perpetuity? I have a BMW i3 with the HOV plate that I plan to transfer to my new Model 3. But can I transfer it to the Model Y if at some point I'd like to get that car? I haven't read the law but I think that as long as the car is electric, we can do so.
The way the law is currently written, and vehicle that is fully electric, fuel cell, or CNG-powered is entitled for the AFV (Alternative Fuel Vehicle) plate which grants access to the HOV lane with one occupant at all times. You should be able to transfer said plate from car to car as long as:
* You are going from AFV to AFV, and
* The company you are purchasing from doesn't do any oddball AZ MVD hijinks.

It is entirely possible that you will not be able to move your plate from one Tesla to another directly, as Tesla does seem to employ some other-than-normal MVD hijinks. Every other vehicle I've purchased in AZ, I either transferred my plate at the dealer when trading in or got my plate directly from the MVD. With the Tesla, for reasons I don't even want to try to unravel, the MVD sent the plate to Tesla in California, who then FedExed the plate to me. In doing so, they failed to file the paperwork for the vehicle I traded in, so I got a letter saying the registration of my trade-in was going to be rescinded. I had to go in myself to register the sale (and get my registration fee refund), which is another aberration from the norm.

Right now there are no limits on Alt Fuel plate numbers, so no reason you can't get/transfer to another fully electric car. They limit the "energy efficient" plate numbers, but those are different.

One of the sales guys I was talking to in Scottsdale was trying to convince me to get my car before year-end because the AZ alternative fuel plates were rumored to be possibly going away in 2020.

He.may be full of it, dunno.

One of the sales guys I was talking to in Scottsdale was trying to convince me to get my car before year-end because the AZ alternative fuel plates were rumored to be possibly going away in 2020.

He.may be full of it, dunno.
Not the AF plates but cheap registration. originally it was going away 01/01/2020 but now has been pushed back to 01/01/2022.

Going back to the HOV plate topic, can we keep the HOV license plate in perpetuity? I have a BMW i3 with the HOV plate that I plan to transfer to my new Model 3. But can I transfer it to the Model Y if at some point I'd like to get that car? I haven't read the law but I think that as long as the car is electric, we can do so.
I transferred my plate from my Model S to my Model X this year in about 10 minutes. I use ASAP Title Services in Tempe. I pay a premium (maybe $25 per transaction) but they knock it out painlessly every time.