Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Teslas damaged on ship

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just been called by Tesla Maidenhead to say my allocated M3SR+ is one of a number of cars which have been damaged in transit, presumably from China. Next ship docks on 6 December apparently. Now waiting to see if I can get a courtesy car to get me to next month. Anybody else affected?

Just been called by Tesla Maidenhead to say my allocated M3SR+ is one of a number of cars which have been damaged in transit, presumably from China. Next ship docks on 6 December apparently. Now waiting to see if I can get a courtesy car to get me to next month. Anybody else affected?
I guess they mean another ship with an available car matching your spec, as Nabucco is due to dock at Southampton on Friday (26th Nov)...

That is a bit crap though, I feel for you :(

If cars cannot not get delivered for whatever reason, they normally just juggle the allocations for other cars so earlier deliveries do not get impacted as much as they might be by waiting for a new unallocated car. It does mean that a whole host of vins get juggled, but no one is too inconvenienced except for those at the tail end of the delivery quarter who may then have to wait until next quarter or take an inventory car which may not be a 100% match.

Similar happened to us. On day of collection, 'our' car became 'unavailable' (delivery truck went AWOL), so they just gave us a car scheduled for delivery a few days later and they got 'our' car when the delivery truck was found.

One of the advantages of cars not being made to order, having a limited set of option combinations and having spare cars at the end of a delivery cycle.

Hate to drag this nasty issue up for you, it must be very annoying. Would you be able to share with us which ship your car was on at all?

If it’s only a few cars I wouldn’t worry, they’ll find you one. About 15 new inventory cars of various types got listed yesterday, it happens quite a lot at this time in the quarter almost as deliveries get firmed up and a £100 deposit becomes a £50k invoice and people either change their mind or finance gets denied

If it’s only a few cars I wouldn’t worry, they’ll find you one. About 15 new inventory cars of various types got listed yesterday, it happens quite a lot at this time in the quarter almost as deliveries get firmed up and a £100 deposit becomes a £50k invoice and people either change their mind or finance gets denied
I wouldn’t worry too much either as I’m sure Tesla will find another matching car but given my car is incoming for a 4/12 delivery on the nabucco I presume I have a degree of interest in whether my allocated car has been damaged.

For Tesla not to deliver the car the damage must be bad!

If it occurred on the ship it could be from a broken lashing. All cars are lashed to the deck but should the lashings break (not all that common but it happens) the car will be restricted in its movement by the close proximity of neighbouring vehicles. So a loose vehicle may damage 3 or 4 other cars but won't endanger the ship.
We haven't had any ships sail through any bad weather recently though. Some choppy seas but nothing compared to the Atlantic storms some of the cars from Fremont endured without issue.
Back in 2019 we saw a lot of damage being done to the underside jacking points which was put down to incorrect securing on car transporters.

• Informative
Reactions: Pink Duck
I wouldn't take literally anything said to anyone - car damaged on ship could be because it was driven into something, something dropped on it, who knows but only one car damaged as much as the trip was rocky and half the cars had slid into each other. Cars are damaged in transit regardless of manufacturer and they're often just patched up and sent out. The fact they don't want you to collect the car you were originally allocated is probably a good thing v the alternative.

Reactions: VX Foxy
I’m a little concerned now. My delivery has just been changed from 2 Dec at Southampton docks to the 8 Dec now. The CS have told me that is the absolute earliest I can pick it up now and that it’s down to logistical issues??
Logistical? - I’m picking it up from the docks.. 🤔

I’m a little concerned now. My delivery has just been changed from 2 Dec at Southampton docks to the 8 Dec now. The CS have told me that is the absolute earliest I can pick it up now and that it’s down to logistical issues??
Logistical? - I’m picking it up from the docks.. 🤔
I presume they don't just drive it off the ship and hand you the keys. There may well be what passes for a PDI. If that's the case then any number of things could cause that process to be delayed.

That's assuming you know what ship your car is on for definite. Do you have the VIN?