Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla's Wall Charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I installed the wall charger and it only seems to be pushing out 211v @ 9m/hr. Is there something I need to do on my end to change the settings to get that projected 50m/hr range?

Attachments

• DC54C544-99DF-434A-A9E8-A1DBF2B16AA0.jpeg
    DC54C544-99DF-434A-A9E8-A1DBF2B16AA0.jpeg
    229.5 KB · Views: 114
page 21 of instruction manual
there's a rotary dial that needs to be set correctly based on the max load of circuit, ie 80% of circuit breaker. For example, if the circuit breaker is 60A then rotary dial should be set to position 9 with a max output of 48A.

I installed the wall charger and it only seems to be pushing out 211v @ 9m/hr. Is there something I need to do on my end to change the settings to get that projected 50m/hr range?

The Wall Connector appears limited to 9A. The voltage is a bit low but is probably fine...depends on the electrical service type.

Also, can you provide a picture of the voltage when the car is drawing 0A (set charge limit below current level)? Might only go as low as 2A. Doesn’t matter. This will identify whether the voltage is drooping (a lot) under load.

What is your wire gauge? What type of wire? How long a run? How many amps is the breaker? These things guide how to set the Wall Connector dial.

More info is needed.

Last edited:
settings to get that projected 50m/hr range?

Also, assuming you have 208V service, you won’t get this range per hour. All the values that Tesla provides in their table have to be reduced by the ratio of 208/240, even if you have a 60A circuit charging at 48A.

Not that it matters. It’ll be fine assuming you have all the wiring right, once you get the WC correctly configured.

Edit: looks good! Your number will be lower than the one in the Tesla table due to the voltage difference.

Also, assuming you have 208V service, you won’t get this range per hour. All the values that Tesla provides in their table have to be reduced by the ratio of 208/240, even if you have a 60A circuit charging at 48A.

Not that it matters. It’ll be fine assuming you have all the wiring right.

So if I put in a greater amp breaker will I be able to get better range per hour?

Just went through this..

6/2 romex can handle 44 Amps Continuous, 55 Amp max. This is ok if you charge at 40 Amp with a 50 Amp Breaker. Wire should have more capacity than breaker. If you use 6/2 for 48 Amp charging, the wire can overheat. No Bueno.

If you want to charge at 48 Amp, you will need to use 4 gauge with a 60 amp Breaker wired straight to the wall connector. Can't use NEMA 14 50 connector as it can only max 50 Amp. 4/3 Romex can go 70 Amp max and can easily and safely handle 48 Amp charging. Just use 2 of the 3 wires in the 4/3 Romex. If you want to use Romex, you will not be able to find 4/3 at home depot. You will have to go to an electrical supply store and be sure to pre-bend it when you install. Very tough to bend if your connector is already mounted.

Good luck and don't burn your house down.