Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teslas With Rebuilt Title - Supercharging Removal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Margaritaboy 's supercharging was disabled because the car is a salvage one. Just took tesla a while to get around to it.

On a completely separate note:

===========================

Moderator note: This thread is about the tesla policy of removing supercharging from teslas with rebuilt title. There is nothing "model 3" specific about that practice, so I will be changing the thread title and re locating it to the Tesla inc section, where discussion can continue on the topic tesla removing supercharging from all teslas.
I do not have a rebuilt or salvage title. Still got the supercharging removed from it by Tesla.

I do not have a rebuilt or salvage title. Still got the supercharging removed from it by Tesla.

Sorry, I went by this post from you quoted below. The other part of my comment still stands though, tesla just got around to disabling it on a vehicle that was "rebuilt" which implies totaled (but perhaps not a "salvage" title but for teslas purposes likely the same thing.

In any case, people who say "tesla is removing a feature" when they talk about supercharging confuse me, since thats like saying if you own a cellphone you have a right to service on a particular network. The part of the argument that makes more sense is "why am I disabled from all fast charging, including NON tesla fast chargers".

That one has more weight, sure, but "why did they take away supercharging?" Because they own that service and can deny it /shrug.

I rebuilt a model three. I have to admit though, I’m not sure what the RCM or ICE in that vehicle is. Might be able to help if I knew what it was.

Reactions: Evoforce
yes, there’s a credit card on file. No, there are no unpaid fees.
Different States call a "totaled" car by different names. reconstructed=rebuilt=salvaged=branded. Your car was considered a total loss by an insurance company and someone repaired it and put it back on the road. Anyway, Tesla usually catches this when you sign up for an account and provide them with requested information and sometimes it can take quite a long time before services are disabled.

Last edited:
So I posted a few weeks ago on thoughts of a model s 2013. I decided against it for many reasons. I was wondering if any of you had experienced with rebuilt Tesla’s? I’m currently looking into a 2019 Tesla model 3 standard that has a rebuilt title. Photos don’t look terrible but it must of been enough to total. Seller is asking $35000 which seems quite high. What would be a good offer if any? Thanks
(No I can’t get the new one as it will be out of my price range. Just wondering would a fair price would be for both of us. I know the risks.)
Car has 19k miles

Impossible for anyone here to even guess if that is a good price or not, without having details of the repairs. It could've been totalled because of a single dent in the A pillar, or it could've been totalled because it went over a cliff and there are bandaid repairs all over the car from top to bottom.

Impossible for anyone here to even guess if that is a good price or not, without having details of the repairs. It could've been totalled because of a single dent in the A pillar, or it could've been totalled because it went over a cliff and there are bandaid repairs all over the car from top to bottom.

Honestly, I think $35k for any used SR is too much, let alone a salvage titled one. Any with a salvage title won't have supercharging capability (or, the risk of losing it out of the blue at any time) which significantly, significantly reduces utility of the vehicle.

A brand new SR+ is only $5k more than this rebuild, and comes with:
- More range
- Better stereo
- Autopilot
- 19k less miles
- Supercharging
- Clean title

Understand. Just wanted to see if anyone had some sort of price suggestion. I’m not completely sold on it so I don’t want the car fax. I’ve just seen pics. Thanks

Honestly, I think $35k for any used SR is too much, let alone a salvage titled one. Any with a salvage title won't have supercharging capability (or, the risk of losing it out of the blue at any time) which significantly, significantly reduces utility of the vehicle.

A brand new SR+ is only $5k more than this rebuild, and comes with:
- More range
- Better stereo
- Autopilot
- 19k less miles
- Supercharging
- Clean title
I agree totally. I can’t afford that right now so I guess I’m just asking if you had a rebuilt model 3, what was your price? Or if you were going to buy one like this, (with all this in mind) what’s a fair price for both parties? Thanks for your input

Moderator note: Merging this thread with the one on rebuilt teslas in the tesla inc section. People in that thread might be better able to estimate value, and rebuilt teslas are all the same from a "what are you getting into" standpoint so there isnt any real reason it needs to be in the model 3 section).

Reactions: dmurphy
I agree totally. I can’t afford that right now so I guess I’m just asking if you had a rebuilt model 3, what was your price? Or if you were going to buy one like this, (with all this in mind) what’s a fair price for both parties? Thanks for your input

Please, please don't take this the wrong way, it's completely non-judgemental ... but if $35k is top of budget, I'd reconsider buying the rebuild. The very last thing I'd want to see is for you to get into this car, stretch the budget thin and then find it's got serious underlying (and expensive) problems.

It's a serious gamble -- one which makes sense possibly on traditional cars; not sure it does on a Tesla.

Just the repair scenarios alone - and the fact that you've got pretty much nobody out there that can help with the car -- makes it a non-starter in my opinion. Of course, my opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it (that is, it's worthless!)

I'm somewhat concerned about owning a Tesla out of warranty... let alone with NO support at all on a salvage.

Please, please don't take this the wrong way, it's completely non-judgemental ... but if $35k is top of budget, I'd reconsider buying the rebuild. The very last thing I'd want to see is for you to get into this car, stretch the budget thin and then find it's got serious underlying (and expensive) problems.

It's a serious gamble -- one which makes sense possibly on traditional cars; not sure it does on a Tesla.

Just the repair scenarios alone - and the fact that you've got pretty much nobody out there that can help with the car -- makes it a non-starter in my opinion. Of course, my opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it (that is, it's worthless!)

I'm somewhat concerned about owning a Tesla out of warranty... let alone with NO support at all on a salvage.
I appreciate your feedback! I own a challenger SRT8 that’s rebuilt. I understand it’s a hit or miss. I would definitely have a mechanic inspect it, but I’m only looking into these because I figure I can get a deal. I guess it’s kind of a what are you willing to pay for it scenario.

So under 20k would be reasonable for both? Or are you saying no amount would be worth it? Thanks for your reply
What specifically were the repairs concerning? Can you get a copy of the invoice? If the original owner still has possession of it, he can access a copy of the entire invoice in his Tesla app under schedule service, and send you an itemized list of work performed. It's difficult to know even with photos. If they have access to the invoice and won't share it, the damage was worse than they want you to know about and I would tell them to go pound sand, no matter what the price is.