Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Test Drive Info Is Up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla plans to provide 5000 test drives and they are going to do this over 12 weekends. That's an average a little over 200 test rides per day. (With 6 cars operating for 8 hours with 4-5 rides per hour that should do it.)

So I figure at the minimum Signature reservations up to about #400 should get an invitation to Fremont for the 23rd and 24th.

Your numbers sound reasonable in themselves, but the blog speaks of 2,000 for the first two weekends:

I am very pleased to announce that we are kicking off North American test drives the day after our first customer deliveries! In typical Tesla style, we are going big right out of the gate with 2,000 test drives in the first two weekends.

Unless that's a typo, it means 1,000 for Fremont. (I guess the first two weekends will be larger events than some of the others).

Your numbers sound reasonable in themselves, but the blog speaks of 2,000 for the first two weekends:

Unless that's a typo, it means 1,000 for Fremont. (I guess the first two weekends will be larger events than some of the others).

Thanks Norbert,

I hope that's not a typo. They would need about a dozen cars for 10 hours a day to make that happen.

Larry

Wonder how much time we will have to test drive the car. And whether we will be able to test drive the regular signature and the performance signature. I called Tesla this afternoon to find out, and they had no idea. The test cars have not yet been made. I was informed that the seats in the two cars are different (not just the material, but also the shape). I was also told that none of the alphas or betas had the seats that will be in the performance version of the model S. As I am a larger person (6 feet tall, size 38 pants), it is important that I try both seats to see how they are. I had a sports car once with Recaro seats and they were not comfortable for my build.

Wonder how much time we will have to test drive the car. And whether we will be able to test drive the regular signature and the performance signature. I called Tesla this afternoon to find out, and they had no idea. The test cars have not yet been made. I was informed that the seats in the two cars are different (not just the material, but also the shape). I was also told that none of the alphas or betas had the seats that will be in the performance version of the model S. As I am a larger person (6 feet tall, size 38 pants), it is important that I try both seats to see how they are. I had a sports car once with Recaro seats and they were not comfortable for my build.

7-8 minutes long according to GeorgeB.

As I am a larger person (6 feet tall, size 38 pants), it is important that I try both seats to see how they are. I had a sports car once with Recaro seats and they were not comfortable for my build.

Swegman-

I cannot tell from your message whether you sat in any of the alpha or beta vehicles, but I appear to be similar in height and weight. I sat very comfortably in the front seats. The seat itself was a pleasure to sit in. The steering wheel was, of course, adjustable and telescoping. With the driver's seat placed as far back as it would go, I sat in the back seat. It was a little cramped getting in for me, but I sat reasonably well in the back. My knees were touching the seat, so I imagine it would be a tough trip if I were in the back with another 6 foot person up front. But, for all intents and purposes, I felt comfortable in the car.

I made the first reservation nearly 3 years ago (3 days after the car was announced). I sat in the alpha car when Tesla showcased the car to Congress and the White House (I am not a govt employee, but was invited to the event as an early reservation holder). I also sat in the betas. None of these cars apparently have the seats that will be part of the Performance version of the car. The seats from those cars are what will be found in the non-Performance versions of the car. Since I am ineterested in the Performance model, I need to see/sit in those seats. Not sure that 7-8 minutes is sufficient time to determine whether they will be comfortable. Especially on a long trip.

Are we even sure that ALL of these are at the stores because if you've been to the NYC store, there is absolutely no room to drive for 7-8 minutes at a good speed. i havent seen what the white plains store is like though... anyway, we'll have to wait and see...
I've been to the NYC store numerous times. Test drives on Saturday or Sunday may offer opportunities to drive on the west side highway or up down 9th & 10th ave. I would keep away from 11th ave. White Plains however has an advantage as that location can get one onto I-287 or I-684 in a few minutes (depending on traffic and time of day). I-684 is a good place to really test the S speed and handling.

The NYC store may have some area to store several vehicles. 4 may be too many.

I hope westchester, I enjoyed it up there. Though NYC would be closer for me.
NYC may have customers from NJ, PA, Manhattan and the boroughs. Manhattanites will either have their own private parking or some nearby facility to charge. My heart goes out to those brave souls who will park on the street and charge from their apartment via an extension cord or hook-up to a lamp post.

... if anyone has a guest spot available June 23-24 for the Fremont event, I'd really like to go.

:)

Bonnie, it should be real easy to go as a guest. You're Model X Sig #3 and a roadster owner -- I don't think you'll even need to be "guested" - just contact your Tesla rep.

For the Oct. event, it specifically said: "Reservation holder and one guest.", so my wife and I left our 16 y/o son at home brooding (just leave Mom at home and take me, Dad!!) and drove ~3 miles to the factory. (We can see it in the distance below us from our master bedroom window). Everyone was checked-in by staff with an iPad. After we were wrist-banded for an early test "ride", I asked my sales rep (Western Regional Mgr), if we could go home to bring our son for the factory tour? He said sure, no problem! We just showed his business card to the people at the factory front door and talked our way back in with our son.

Even today at the annual meeting, they were letting young children in, let me in with my DSLR after I promised not to use it, and didn't seem to care if people were really stockholders or not. It was another opportunity for Elon to present the company, answer all our questions, and for attendees to check-out the first production vehicle parked outside. :biggrin:

Contrast that with a GOOG annual meeting, where they make you park at the Amphitheater lot, take a shuttle to GOOG headquarters, you can't take any "recording devices" into the meeting, including smart phones, they say "there may not be any seats available", and you cannot bring any guest(s). LOL! How arrogant is that, Larry and Sergei?