Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Test drive - LR Vs Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am considering purchasing a Y and test drove both versions this week. White/Black interior LR and Silver/White Performance. This was the first time I ever drove an EV, but I have been reading a lot and as a car fan my expectations were high.

My impressions:
- LR: Yes, the torque and power are immediate, but I was not that impressed with the 5 seconds 0-100 kms/h, even though my current car does it in 6 seconds. I guess it was because I really want the Performance and it was an excuse to justify the more powerful version :)
- Performance: I was amazed by the acceleration and it will probably be the one I choose. People complain the ride is a bit harsh, but I have 22" in my car now, and the 21" were an improvement in terms of ride quality. I loved the handling and the look, even though silver is not for me.

I really like the one-pedal driving and the UI, but it is crazy there is no HUD or a small screen in front of your eyes like the Mach-E. I guess you get used to it, but I had a hard time keeping an eye on the speedometer to make sure I was not speeding (especially difficult in the Performance lol).

The vegan (great way to say plastic) seats are shameful in a car like this. Terrible support, look nothing special and the texture is painful to touch. BMW and Mercedes' fake leather is so much better.

Even though I knew the finish was questionable, to say the least, I was surprised to see major defects in terms of panel/lights alignment, and the Performance spoiler was not properly glued on both ends. You would imagine being a test drive car they would have fixed all of that to give a better impression, but Tesla couldn't care less.

I liked the white seats, but they were dirty and I prefer the wood trim, so I will most likely get the black interior.

The dealer experience was great. Very responsive SA, zero pressure, and quite knowledgeable. Other brands have so much to learn from this!

I still have to test drive the MachE and the Taycan Cross Turismo, but it is hard to justify its price tag (60% more than the Performance). Overall I think the Model Y Performance is my favourite. I don't need the car until early 2022, will be interesting to see if Texas improves the quality and what happens to the new batteries.

Reactions: M-S-M and MyMYLRnw
Weird about the seats, everyone in including my kid randomly comments how comfortable the seats are, even on a long trip.
The ride is bad for a luxury car(aka Lexus/mercedes) but ok compared to normal cars or a sporty luxury ride like BMW.
Yeah, I also am surprised there. I think the vegan leather is pretty good and many hours in the seats have caused me to slowly upgrade my rating of them. They aren't the best in the world or anything, but they are very good overall.

I understand the performance aspect, though. It is shocking how fast the P model is, imo, whereas the AWD is just really fast.

Yeah, I also am surprised there. I think the vegan leather is pretty good and many hours in the seats have caused me to slowly upgrade my rating of them. They aren't the best in the world or anything, but they are very good overall.

I understand the performance aspect, though. It is shocking how fast the P model is, imo, whereas the AWD is just really fast.
The seats in my MYP are so much more comfortable compared to my old 2016 Model S. No complaints here.

Cayman seem like GREAT track cars... a Tesla cant last on a track. I used to track my old cars, I'd have to fill up gas every 2 30min sessions... there's no way a Tesla will last at full speed on a road course for a full day (4 x30min session). BUT, that said, the street is a different story. Teslas are amazing on the street

Reactions: shoemakj and jsight
Cayman seem like GREAT track cars... a Tesla cant last on a track. I used to track my old cars, I'd have to fill up gas every 2 30min sessions... there's no way a Tesla will last at full speed on a road course for a full day (4 x30min session). BUT, that said, the street is a different story. Teslas are amazing on the street
Model S Plaid can last on the track!

Yeah, that's certainly true. I can imagine a day when dcfc is available at many tracks, but it is probably a long way away.

Some good threads here discussing the acceleration of the LR with AB vs the MYP. Keep in mind that ANY Tesla performance stats for the MYP allow for rollout and the LR stats don't. Basically this makes the MYP look like it is about .3-.4 seconds quicker 0-60 mph (100 km/h). Even with the boost of the AB, the LR is going to be about .3-.4 seconds slower to 60 mph. All that advantage is in about the initial 20 mph sprint.

I've tested several MYPs and compared the results with my boosted LR, and over the speed range of 30 mph (50 km/h) to 70 mph (120 km/h) they are heads up. The times are pretty much identical. From what I could tell looking at the graphs of the acceleration curves, the MYP has the advantage to about 20-25 mph and from then on the MY LR AB matches it on up. The AB feels significant quicker off the line too than the base LR. Basically it is about 4.2 0-60 mph and if you compare the MYP times in the same way, it is running about 3.8-3.9 seconds.

I had the MYP initial on order and switched. For me it wasn't worth the cost differential to really only have an advantage for about the first 20 mph. I didn't want the 21" Ubers either. While I live in a warm place, if I ever needed snow tires, I'd need to get a second set of wheels for more tire choices. Turned out to be a great choice for us.

I have a MYP and a good family friend has MYLR with AB. We've had the opportunity to drive each other's cars numerous times. Bottom line, you can "feel" the difference. Whether or not the MYP is worth the $5k premium (or $3k with the inductions) is tough to answer. Both are great options.

Reactions: AhwatukeeDad
I have a MYP and a good family friend has MYLR with AB. We've had the opportunity to drive each other's cars numerous times. Bottom line, you can "feel" the difference. Whether or not the MYP is worth the $5k premium (or $3k with the inductions) is tough to answer. Both are great options.
Definately a closer choice now(i bought my LR for 49,990). Still needed to keep car under 60k though for CVRP.

Reactions: ucsdsig
Definately a closer choice now(i bought my LR for 49,990). Still needed to keep car under 60k though for CVRP.

The MYLR is definitely the more logical choice due to the better ride and range. AB is a fantastic option. Would have been a day 1 purchase for me if I would have gone that route.

I always regretted not getting a performance version of my Model S. Guess that's why I ended up getting the MYP.

Just a question:

If the LR and the Performance have the same battery size, why the Performance has less range ???

I understand if you use the Performance to max. Speed all the time, but if you use the Performance in the same way than the LR, should both have the same range??

Just a question:

If the LR and the Performance have the same battery size, why the Performance has less range ???

I understand if you use the Performance to max. Speed all the time, but if you use the Performance in the same way than the LR, should both have the same range??
Keep in mind that the battery is the same, but the rear motor is also different. They have different part numbers, so the efficiency of the motor could be different too.

Reactions: Teslitored