Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Test drive review: BMW i4-40

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@voxel You've priced the Polestar 2 with $4000 of leather. Tesla doesn't even offer leather on the 3 or Y currently. Without the leather that P2 would be $66,400 vs $64,440 to buy an M3P right now (with destination and order fees).

M3P is still quicker I suspect even after the P2P power boost for 2023, but the P2P comes with Öhlins DFV and forged wheels, vs cheap crappy suspension and fragile cast wheels on the M3P. P2 has the hatch which is great, but M3P has better range, efficiency, and charging.

To me the loaded P2 with all 3 packs looks competitively priced without any tax credits/rebates involved. 🤷‍♂️ Between them I'd pick based on which I like more, not the minimal price difference.

I'm sorry but the P2 isn't anywhere near the M3P in speed. I've played with a Polestar 2 and it wasn't even close. If you are serious about tracking a car, the M3P is a much much better option...easy to upgrade suspension but you can't ever make the P2 any faster.

I really like the i4 but I'd have to get the M50. After having a 3s car to 60, I feel anything over 4s is slow. My EV6 feels glacial compared to my M3P.

I'm sorry but the P2 isn't anywhere near the M3P in speed. I've played with a Polestar 2 and it wasn't even close. If you are serious about tracking a car, the M3P is a much much better option...easy to upgrade suspension but you can't ever make the P2 any faster.

I really like the i4 but I'd have to get the M50. After having a 3s car to 60, I feel anything over 4s is slow. My EV6 feels glacial compared to my M3P.
@Apprunner I'm not tracking these cars. I care more about how they handle on twisty, gnarly roads than 0-60 / raw acceleration. Stock 2021 M3P is a mess on such roads if you really drive it hard. P2P took everything I threw at it without getting unsettled.

Acceleration matters to me but somewhere in the 4's is enough.

My M3P handles great now, better than the P2P, but it didn't handle well stock.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: _Redshift_
@Apprunner I'm not tracking these cars. I care more about how they handle on twisty, gnarly roads than 0-60 / raw acceleration. Stock M3P is a mess on such roads if you really drive it hard. P2P took everything I threw at it without getting unsettled.

Acceleration matters to me but somewhere in the 4's is enough.

My M3P handles great now, better than the P2P, but it didn't handle well stock.
All I'm saying is that its relatively easy to make the M3P a great handler. Many shops in so-cal have done suspension upgrades with unplugged components. Its really hard to mod an EV to make it go faster so I always think its a bit limited. Everyone has different priorities...i'd rather have the acceleration vs. ultra sharp handling as I don't canyon carve everyday (i wish). If they come out with a Plaid version of the Model 3, I'd be on that list day 1 :D

Reactions: tm1v2
One notch lower, I looked at both of the P2 DM non-perf and the I4-40. The bimmer is a really nice package so I ordered one but lack of DAPP, failing tax credit, and infinite delivery schedule are bummers. Then my Model 3 RWD was pulled back from November to last week so I gave her a new home and she is really fab and a huge upgrade over my 2018 Model 3. Would I take the i4 now ? Not sure, but maybe by that time I can actually configure DAPP. The i4-e35 might be available then as well, which is a direct shot at the Model 3 RWD.

One notch lower, I looked at both of the P2 DM non-perf and the I4-40. The bimmer is a really nice package so I ordered one but lack of DAPP, failing tax credit, and infinite delivery schedule are bummers. Then my Model 3 RWD was pulled back from November to last week so I gave her a new home and she is really fab and a huge upgrade over my 2018 Model 3. Would I take the i4 now ? Not sure, but maybe by that time I can actually configure DAPP. The i4-e35 might be available then as well, which is a direct shot at the Model 3 RWD.

The i4 - 40 RWD is a whopping 800 lbs heavier than my RWD LR Model 3. Though the Bimmer handles well, it can’t hide that much mass.

When taking very tight turns at high speed (+20 mph above what the speed limit sign said on the off ramp), my Model 3 is more fun, though not very composed at the limits. The feeling that I consistently get is that the rear willl slip, even though the car is supposed to be tuned for understeer, like most mainstream sedans. Other folks on this forum have noted the ‘floaty rear end’ in some posts I have seen.

The BMW is more composed at the limits, and the predominant feeling is that it will start to understeer at the limits. But the car shows it’s weight, and is not as much fun to toss around.

I4 - 40 is more directly comparable in weight class to the S, though about 200-300 lbs lighter than the current S.

If BMW builds the next i4 on a dedicated EV platform, hopefully saving couple of hundred of lbs, it can start to be competitive to the Model 3 for tossability and fun. Until then, to me, it’s a better handling Model S.

The i4 - 40 RWD is a whopping 800 lbs heavier than my RWD LR Model 3. Though the Bimmer handles well, it can’t hide that much mass.

When taking very tight turns at high speed (+20 mph above what the speed limit sign said on the off ramp), my Model 3 is more fun, though not very composed at the limits. The feeling that I consistently get is that the rear willl slip, even though the car is supposed to be tuned for understeer, like most mainstream sedans. Other folks on this forum have noted the ‘floaty rear end’ in some posts I have seen.

The BMW is more composed at the limits, and the predominant feeling is that it will start to understeer at the limits. But the car shows it’s weight, and is not as much fun to toss around.

I4 - 40 is more directly comparable in weight class to the S, though about 200-300 lbs lighter than the current S.

If BMW builds the next i4 on a dedicated EV platform, hopefully saving couple of hundred of lbs, it can start to be competitive to the Model 3 for tossability and fun. Until then, to me, it’s a better handling Model S.

Totally agree after only a half hour test drive. However in size the i4 is tighter than my model 3 and much smaller than the S, particularly in the rear. For a cross country trip would you rather the i4 or the S?

Considering its heft the efficiency that owners are reporting is impressive. To me, efficiency is really job one for an EV. A lighter dedicated EV from BMW should be really neat. I’ve read that a smaller X and 3 series EVs are in the queue. It’s great to have some options.

Audi meanwhile is awol.

The future will be interesting !

Totally agree after only a half hour test drive. However in size the i4 is tighter than my model 3 and much smaller than the S, particularly in the rear. For a cross country trip would you rather the i4 or the S?

Considering its heft the efficiency that owners are reporting is impressive. To me, efficiency is really job one for an EV. A lighter dedicated EV from BMW should be really neat. I’ve read that a smaller X and 3 series EVs are in the queue. It’s great to have some options.

Audi meanwhile is awol.

The future will be interesting !
I have already mentioned the inefficient interior packaging in the i4 in my OP. That is the reason why I am not pulling the trigger on the i4.

Also agreed about its _real world_ efficiency, since it’s basically equivalent in weight and battery to a Model S 85 (actually 5 KWh less than that).

If the Model 3 had adaptive suspension and a hatchback opening... I'd buy another in an instant.

The i4 eDrive40 slots somewhere between a 3 RWD and 3 LR and the M50 somewhere between the 3 LR and 3P.

Without the tax credit, the i4 (all trims) is a tad pricey. It fills a premium niche and looks/feels like a regular car (which actually is a positive to me)

If the Model 3 had adaptive suspension and a hatchback opening... I'd buy another in an instant.

The i4 eDrive40 slots somewhere between a 3 RWD and 3 LR and the M50 somewhere between the 3 LR and 3P.

Without the tax credit, the i4 (all trims) is a tad pricey. It fills a premium niche and looks/feels like a regular car (which actually is a positive to me)
I totaled my M3 LR back in July and ordered M3 SR as LR wasn't available for ordering. Then few weeks ago bunch of LRs became available in the Tesla existing inventory and I ordered one. A Tesla SA was even nice enough to transfer my SR order fee as a credit to the LR. Last Wednesday my local dealership got an I4 40 MSport in Tanzanite Blue which they surprisingly offered to me at $2,500 below MSRP. After lots of thinking I went for it. These are my observations which echo many previous ones posted here and on the I4 board.

I4 over Tesla:
Love handling, ride, looks, quietness, impeccable craftmanship, real blind spot and rear cross traffic alerts, instrument panel display, working auto wipers and high beams, car play, HUD. Actually, handling and ride were my main reasons to switch from Tesla M3 to I4. I4 handling reminds me of my previous E92 and E90 BMWs minus that old unbelievable steering feel.

Tesla over I4:
Software/UI is much sleeker and better organized, no start/stop/park buttons, great visibility all around, airy cabin, frequent updates, better range, frunk, easier ingress/egress. I actually liked Tesla seats although I4 front seats keep you in place better. As it was mentioned in this thread, I4 inside is pretty confined and even hatchback trunk is not that big.

I miss my Tesla but, again, I4's handling and ride with M adaptive suspension is much better for me than Tesla's.
Luckily, after some necessary adjustments I was able to use my Tesla wall charger with the Lectron adapter to charge I4.

I totaled my M3 LR back in July and ordered M3 SR as LR wasn't available for ordering. Then few weeks ago bunch of LRs became available in the Tesla existing inventory and I ordered one. A Tesla SA was even nice enough to transfer my SR order fee as a credit to the LR. Last Wednesday my local dealership got an I4 40 MSport in Tanzanite Blue which they surprisingly offered to me at $2,500 below MSRP. After lots of thinking I went for it. These are my observations which echo many previous ones posted here and on the I4 board.

I4 over Tesla:
Love handling, ride, looks, quietness, impeccable craftmanship, real blind spot and rear cross traffic alerts, instrument panel display, working auto wipers and high beams, car play, HUD. Actually, handling and ride were my main reasons to switch from Tesla M3 to I4. I4 handling reminds me of my previous E92 and E90 BMWs minus that old unbelievable steering feel.

Tesla over I4:
Software/UI is much sleeker and better organized, no start/stop/park buttons, great visibility all around, airy cabin, frequent updates, better range, frunk, easier ingress/egress. I actually liked Tesla seats although I4 front seats keep you in place better. As it was mentioned in this thread, I4 inside is pretty confined and even hatchback trunk is not that big.

I miss my Tesla but, again, I4's handling and ride with M adaptive suspension is much better for me than Tesla's.
Luckily, after some necessary adjustments I was able to use my Tesla wall charger with the Lectron adapter to charge I4.

Agreed about the ride and handling being comparable to the E90 platform, as well as the lack of steering feel.
Both the E46 and E90 platforms were the best BMW ever made.

The ubiquitous electrically assisted steering has all but made steering feel a thing of the past, in al last any new car.

Agreed about the ride and handling being comparable to the E90 platform, as well as the lack of steering feel.
Both the E46 and E90 platforms were the best BMW ever made.

The ubiquitous electrically assisted steering has all but made steering feel a thing of the past, in al last any new car.
Porsche and Alfa Romeo still manage to get electrical steering right. I recently drove 2023 Mazda 3 and really liked the steering feel.

Porsche and Alfa Romeo still manage to get electrical steering right. I recently drove 2023 Mazda 3 and really liked the steering feel.

I have driven both the Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio as well as the Taycan. Both have little steering feedback. Giulia is an awesome car, otherwise, I’d consider that for my next car, we’re it electric.
I need to drive a Mazda 3 one of these days!

I agree Mazda knows how to do EPS right. I haven't driven a Mazda 3, but the Mazda RX-8 had legit good steering feel with its electric power assist, dating back to 2004.

BMW EPS sucks (at least in F30) and that always stands out because their hydraulic steering was way better, but EPS doesn't have to be that bad.

Reactions: berman2921
I agree Mazda knows how to do EPS right. I haven't driven a Mazda 3, but the Mazda RX-8 had legit good steering feel with its electric power assist, dating back to 2004.

BMW EPS sucks (at least in F30) and that always stands out because their hydraulic steering was way better, but EPS doesn't have to be that bad.
G20 steering is better than in F30 but far from E90

• Informative

Being BMW they should have done a better job.

However the ride and handling at least, is back where it should be. My previous car was a BMW E46 325i with sports package. Great steering, great ride and handling compromise.
Best sedan I ever drove.

My Model 3 comes close, but not really. I’ve made some slight adjustments to the tires pressures to get better ride and handling compromise. My front tires run at 35 psi and the rear ones at 39 psi. This has two effects: one, it cushions the minor imperfections better. Some edge is taken off the suspension harshness. And two, it biases the car for more understeer. Even though most cars are biased towards understeer, Tesla Model 3 is a bit ‘loose feeling’ in the rear traction. Getting the rear tires slightly higher pressure than the front ones takes some of this away and results in a more planted feeling in turns, though at a cost of front tires giving up traction earlier.

Reactions: pipestem
Very informative BMW i4 M50 review from Scott Evans at Motor Trend:

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2022-bmw-i4-m50-first-test-0-60-mph-review/

It matches up with most of the sentiments here.
This writer seems to be a gashead, still wanting the ICE noises to feel the connection with the road. 😁

Good that they concur with my opinion that ride and handling is back to the high BMW standards of a decade ago. 🙂

The i4-40 is a bit better for handling the curves because of the ~500 lbs savings in curb weight.

Very informative BMW i4 M50 review from Scott Evans at Motor Trend:

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2022-bmw-i4-m50-first-test-0-60-mph-review/

It matches up with most of the sentiments here.

The range is excellent (270+ miles with the 84 kWh gross battery) except with the 20" performance tires and rear visibility is better than a Model Y for sure.

For an EV at $77K, it's probably beyond your everyday EV buyer (I'd probably say the same about the current Model Y price but it sells like hotcakes). The weight of these ICE-turned-EV cars makes them less than ideal for track days too.

I got a M50 build allocation recently but am undecided whether I want to upgrade my e40.

The range is excellent (270+ miles with the 84 kWh gross battery) except with the 20" performance tires and rear visibility is better than a Model Y for sure.

For an EV at $77K, it's probably beyond your everyday EV buyer (I'd probably say the same about the current Model Y price but it sells like hotcakes). The weight of these ICE-turned-EV cars makes them less than ideal for track days too.

I got a M50 build allocation recently but am undecided whether I want to upgrade my e40.

@voxel — Are you looking for the extra power, dapp, or something else ?