Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Test drive tuning in the Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thought this was cool and I wanted to share:

Took the Mrs. to test drive a Tesla. Had a blast and her word choice when she accelerated hard the first time made mention of something "holy" :)

Anyway, the reason I wanted to share this post was because while a 90DL would be awesome I just cannot afford it. Really hoping those CPO unicorn priced cars come back in Q2. The OA knew this and told me that during demos the car can be tuned to different performance abilities. From a dropdown menu after holding the T for a while a screen appeared with a dropdown of different model styles. I could take the 90DL all the way down to a S70.

The difference in performance was noticeable when tuned. I was glad I could feel the difference between rwd and awd. I'd say there was a noticeable difference in pick up, too.

Makes me wonder if a firmware update would let users disable the front wheel drive and just use the back if they have a dual motor vehicle. Or maybe use just the front?

I've often wondered the same thing - for possibly additional range. Surely by turning off either the front or rear motor (and sacrificing traction) you could eek out a little more range, right?

Apparently this is not the case and the car is able to maximize the range by managing how the motors work together. There are other threads on this topic if you are particularly interested.

Apparently this is not the case and the car is able to maximize the range by managing how the motors work together. There are other threads on this topic if you are particularly interested.

I'm more interested in the regenerative braking - there seem to only be opinions on this - the AWD having more (4) regenerative braking than the RWD (2). I am not seeing any threads about this . . .

The OA knew this and told me that during demos the car can be tuned to different performance abilities. From a dropdown menu after holding the T for a while a screen appeared with a dropdown of different model styles. I could take the 90DL all the way down to a S70.
If you can recall, I'd like to hear more about the incantation that reached this menu. As an "in the field" demo provider, there are many times this would have been and will be useful.

I took a test drive last week, and also saw the drop-down list with various models. Since I had said we were interested in the 90D, we only ever drove the car at the "Max" setting, which I suppose is the 90D's full power. (Although, they might have fooled me by badging a P90DL as a 90D).

Anyway, if you had a 90D and had the drop-down list, allowing you to select lower performance, what would you use that for?