Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texan taking delivery in Cali, do I qualify for Incentives?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone, I have a question I need clarified. As you know Texas does not allow direct sales of Tesla vehicles, so I plan to fly to California from Texas ($300) so I can take delivery of my Model 3 in California and save that $1200 delivery charge, then take a road trip back home to Houston.
I hear California is offering:
  1. A new bill unveiled today would unlock $3 billion worth of incentives for an updated version of California’s current EV rebate (Electrek.co).
  2. Of course, those incentives will be applicable on top of the $7,500 federal tax credit if it is still available on the electric vehicles (Electrek.co).
My question:
If I pick up my Model 3 in California, do I qualify for the new California incentives (#1 above)?
Thank you in advance...

Hello everyone, I have a question I need clarified. As you know Texas does not allow direct sales of Tesla vehicles, so I plan to fly to California from Texas ($300) so I can take delivery of my Model 3 in California and save that $1200 delivery charge, then take a road trip back home to Houston.
  1. A new bill unveiled today would unlock $3 billion worth of incentives for an updated version of California’s current EV rebate (Electrek.co).
  2. Of course, those incentives will be applicable on top of the $7,500 federal tax credit if it is still available on the electric vehicles (Electrek.co).
My question:
If I pick up my Model 3 in California, do I qualify for the new California incentives (#1 above)?
Thank you in advance...

If this is still it ...
Eligibility guidelines

See the last section on retaining ownership in California. You'd need to be there for 30 months. It's amortized over that period. There's a link to rules on the program. They'd normally amortize the rebate if you need to sell.

I don't think it'd be worth picking it up in CA to save the delivery fee.
If you pick up the car you'd be buying in CA and they don't exempt you from sales tax if buying a car and driving out of state. Fremont sales tax is 9.25%. I don't know whether you'd offset the local taxes as well the state sales tax.

Even if you can offset the CA taxes against the local as well as state taxes, that's 9.25% v 8.25%, so you'd still pay 1% extra tax on it. Plus you'd have the travel there and the miles driving it back.

My question:
Thank you in advance...

You are not eligible. Plus, you'd have to pay the 9.25% tax instead of Texas' 6.25%, as California requires payment of tax when the car is purchased., unlike other states. On top of that, you would still pay the delivery fee, California is not exempt from that, even at the factory.

Reactions: ZappCatt
You still have to pay the $1200 charge no matter where you pickup or get the car delivered to. It's a federal law I think. $1200 is what everyone pays as it's actually Tesla's estimated average. Plus you would have to pay California sales tax as the law that went into effect was rewritten to speficlaty exclude car sales. And you can't get any California incentives unless you are a California resident

(sorry if any of this is wrong or not spelled correctly, I tyoed it while laying on the floor after taking an Ambien)

I took delivery in Colorado on my S.. then drove it home. Avoided the tax in CO, but paid the tax in Texas. hope that helps.

That's what I want to do. Maybe a trip to Colorado is a better option. But did you still have to pay a delivery charge?

You still have to pay the $1200 charge no matter where you pickup or get the car delivered to.

I was referring to the delivery charges. You do have an option to have it delivered or pick it up yourself and fore-go the charge (I think that's right :confused:). I remember configuring an S, and at the end of the configuration they ask the delivery option question, and add that extra $1200.

That's what I want to do. Maybe a trip to Colorado is a better option. But did you still have to pay a delivery charge?

I was referring to the delivery charges. You do have an option to have it delivered or pick it up yourself and fore-go the charge (I think that's right :confused:). I remember configuring an S, and at the end of the configuration they ask the delivery option question, and add that extra $1200.
I bought a CPO so they waived the delivery fee if i picked it up in Denver. my flight was $24 so it made perfect sense for me.

Reactions: graphic

The only delivery charge you could avoid by pricing up the vehicle would be on a CPO. Otherwise, as has been mentioned, the delivery charge on new vehicles is the same for all customers regardless of where you actually take delivery. The only exception might be if there is a separate charge if you take delivery at your home instead of at a showroom, there may be a separate charge for that.

A new car's delivery charge is the same whether picking up at the factory or delivered anywhere. It's federal law.
Actually, the only part of it that is a law is that the delivery charge has to be a separate line item on the invoice.

Reactions: ZappCatt
There was legislation kicking around which would waive the CA sales tax in cases such as yours to encourage folks t take CA delivery and spend some tourist dollars while they are here. Not sure what happened to it, but maybe check back again closer to your delivery date.

There was legislation kicking around which would waive the CA sales tax in cases such as yours to encourage folks t take CA delivery and spend some tourist dollars while they are here. Not sure what happened to it, but maybe check back again closer to your delivery date.
It went nowhere after a clueless legislator called it a tax break for rich Tesla buyers. Never mind that the out of state Tesla buyers never paid California sales tax because they wouldn't come to CA because they would have to pay the tax. Now CA gets neither the tax nor the tourist dollars from people coming there to pick up the car and probably drive it around the state for a few days, staying in hotels, eating in restaurants, etc.

Texas will charge sales tax when you register it here even if purchased out of state. They even do it for leased cars.

Not all states will charge sales tax for non-residents, however. I bought a car from a dealer in Illinois and didn’t pay IL tax. Just TX.

I plan to take delivery of my 3 in Houston. Buying out of state won’t save any hassle.