Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas Hold Up!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I havent seen a Model 3 in the wild yet here in Northern DFW but I am honestly considering making Tesla business cards as I cant seem to escape a parking lot without someone asking about it or what is that car?

I too, have been tenaciously looking for Model 3s in the wild. Came across my first one last Friday (3/30) in Addison off DNT / Spring Valley around 1pm. Was black with the 18" wheels with the Aero covers taken off. Second one was this morning, I was coming up the service road of 35 heading SB about to enter the on-ramp and saw a MSM with 18's apprx. 8am (I had to double take because the color caught my eye), so don't quote me on the wheels. But the color looked great in early morning light! I kind of piddled around thinking they would catch up to me once on 35, but only saw them once in the rearview so I kept going. I'm assuming we're neighbors, so I'll see ya around. :cool:

That's weird regarding the Lien. I just got off an hour long phone call with RBFCU and they didn't mention anything about a lien. They needed me and my wife's VERBAL approvals and signatures on the finalized loan and they said they would send the check out. Unfortunately my wife will not be able to sign or verbally approve today because of employer email restrictions!!!!! They also didn't ask for the Certificate of Origination. Crazy how different things are from one person to the next at the same lending institution.
I can indubitably confirm that RBFCU must be listed as a lienholder. My TX DMV registration paperwork showing this per their request, below:

upload_2018-4-6_15-57-22.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: MarkinArch
Just received my configuration invite! HTX line waiter. Now I just need $60k :) . Seriously, I have the necessary cash all tied up in investments again after it was taking so long. Anyone recommend a CU or bank in the 610 loop familiar with the TX Tesla process that will finance for me? Credit history is good probably would put at least 20-30% down.
Will update the spreadsheet later when I decide what to do.

Its exciting but for some reason i feel less thrilled than I thought I would due to it taking so long.

Well with all of these "extra" things that haven't been taken care on my loan, it doesn't look like I will be getting any checks sent to Tesla today...... What's another day after 736 of them.... :mad:
Lol I think the number would 739 on the next business day ;)
But in all seriousness, every CU in TX which has financed a car for me has required listing them as the lienholder. However, when I was financed through Wells Fargo and TD Bank they did not require it. Maybe it's a TX CU thing
giphy.gif

Just received my configuration invite! HTX line waiter. Now I just need $60k :) . Seriously, I have the necessary cash all tied up in investments again after it was taking so long. Anyone recommend a CU or bank in the 610 loop familiar with the TX Tesla process that will finance for me? Credit history is good probably would put at least 20-30% down.
Will update the spreadsheet later when I decide what to do.

Its exciting but for some reason i feel less thrilled than I thought I would due to it taking so long.
I would emphatically recommend RBFCU. I was going to go with Texans CU or CU of TX but RBFCU blew their rates out of the water. I feel like they've financed a good amount of Tesla's solely from earlier posts in this thread alone. They are great to work with and have above and beyond customer service.

I would emphatically recommend RBFCU. I was going to go with Texans CU or CU of TX but RBFCU blew their rates out of the water. I feel like they've financed a good amount of Tesla's solely from earlier posts in this thread alone. They are great to work with and have above and beyond customer service.

First let me say I really love RBFCU. I have been using them as my checking account provider since I moved to TX. But let me say that this entire 3rd party finance thing with Tesla and the fact they can't sell in TX is a major pain in the rear.

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler

Thanks for the advice. Did you use them remotely or are you local enough to walk into the branch and work all of this out? If its like getting a mortgage I guess it doesnt matter. But then again with a mortgage you dont have to play this silly game where we are not allowed to buy the car actually in Texas. I have also never financed a car before, always paid cash for used cars.

Thanks for the advice. Did you use them remotely or are you local enough to walk into the branch and work all of this out? If its like getting a mortgage I guess it doesnt matter. But then again with a mortgage you dont have to play this silly game where we are not allowed to buy the car actually in Texas. I have also never financed a car before, always paid cash for used cars.

RBFCU has better rates if you apply online. I believe it was a .2% reduction if application is done online and not in person.

Everyone has names for their cars already it seems. I don't have the best imagination for names, so I'm still thinking. I asked my wife about what to name it and she suggested "$58,000 Of Money The Car". So yeah, I'm still thinking about names.

Anyways, like many others here, I'm planning on using RBFCU and I am glad to hear about experiences with them and what to expect. Hopefully I'll have my own story to tell within a few weeks.

Anyways, like many others here, I'm planning on using RBFCU and I am glad to hear about experiences with them and what to expect. Hopefully I'll have my own story to tell within a few weeks.

Ok this is going to be long but I went through a lot of pain dealing with this entire process so hopefully this helps. Keep in mind I am already a member so I have no info on how to do that and if it is required for your loan.

0. Apply now and lock your rate. The lock is good for 90 days which should be plenty of time.
1. RBFCU is a bit confused about Tesla's old process where Tesla wouldn't register/pay tax in Texas. They used to register the car and pay the tax for their members so they think they need documents they don't really need.
2. After you apply do all correspondence on the phone. Only apply online to get the lower rate. Their online system is useless and gives wrong info about the next step in the process. I wish I would have called right away. The phone number to call will be listed on your account to call to ask information from "Consumer Lending". The number is 210-945-3300. When you call use options 3, 3, 2, 1 to skip the voice prompts. When it asks you if you want a call back only do that if it gives you a time greater than 1 minute. If you want to wait on hold press 2 then 3.
3. If you and your wife will be on the title then make sure to put her on the application. If you don't then you cannot use Docusign to sign and you'll have to be mailed the documentation and sign manually and return via mail taking longer.
4. After you apply and get your VIN let them know your VIN. They will say you need a Purchase Order. The ISA from Tesla will have you sign a contract a couple days after you get your vin. Send them the finished contract. They are OK with that being the PO. Don't expect them to talk to your ISA or the ISA to really deal with RBFCU.
5. When your ISA first contacts you please make sure you ask them where they want the check and to whom it will be sent to. RBFCU thinks all checks get sent to the same person at Tesla so you'll have to correct them. Your ISA will need to give you proof that they will put the lien in RBFCU's name. My ISA said that Model 3 is slightly different than previous models and RBFCU thinks it works the same as 5 years ago.
6. After you have sent your contract they will want you to call and verify your loan terms. If your wife also applied then they will need her to call independent of you. Be prepared that your wife might need to spend a lot fo time on the phone with them. Maybe bribe with a candlelight dinner. On this call they will ask for a pin and email address to send the final loan documents to. After this call you should get the documents sent to your individual emails.
7. Before you get off of the phone make sure they will next day your check to Tesla. If they won't keep pressing. I even offered to pay the extra shipping. Some of the people at RBFCU will say it gets sent ground and other say it is sent next day.
8. After you both sign call RBFCU back and make sure they generate the check. They call it a "Package". I waited and it didn't happen until I called.
9. Your ISA might want a copy of the check or proof that the check was created. Make sure you ask your ISA for a fax number and email on where to send this. Some RBFCU people won't want to email and others will. Some might demand a fax number. My ISA won't do anything until they have the check in hand.
10. RBFCU kept saying they need a copy of the Certificate of Origin. I don't think this is needed but they wanted it because they thought they had to license the vehicle I think.
11. Be prepared that your ISA will be difficult to reach. Please make sure you get all the info you need when you talk with them. I got so fed up today that I called Tesla and demanded he call me back ASAP and he called back right away. I conference called RBFCU with him on the phone so we could get it finished after 6 calls to RBFCU and getting nowhere.

With that said because of the way Tesla works in Texas don't plan on getting your car shipped to TX until RBFCU gets the check in Tesla's hand. I am putting all of this because this was probably the most stressful car purchase I have ever done. It was that painful. I am really drained today from dealing with all of this. I love RBFCU but the combination of Tesla not communicating and RBFCU confused about the process made it a royal PITB. I don't hold this against them and I have most of my banking there but it really was stressful.

Thanks for the tips! I actually joined and locked in my rate back in February, so I actually have the 1.95% rate from before they raised their rates. When I applied and joined, I made sure to put both my wife and I on the application, so I think I'm good there.

Next up, VIN fun!

Thanks for the tips! I actually joined and locked in my rate back in February, so I actually have the 1.95% rate from before they raised their rates. When I applied and joined, I made sure to put both my wife and I on the application, so I think I'm good there.

Next up, VIN fun!

Another thing is if you don’t get through the process fast enough you could get lightstream (mentioned on here) to match your current rate and deposit the money into your account and then you are good to go.

I got 1.95 too because I was preapproved for that rate until 3/31 so I locked it in right after I configured.

Oh and when this is all over we need a meet up. I don’t know when or where but us few line waiters who suffered the 2 year wait and went cray cray together can form a support group or something.

I might be driving my car to Ft Worth the first weekend in May. My daughter is competing in creative writing for a state school competition up there.

Last edited:
Oh and when this is all over we need a meet up. I don’t know when or where but us few line waiters who suffered the 2 year wait and went cray cray together can form a support group or something.

I might be driving my car to Ft Worth the first weekend in May. My daughter is competing in creative writing for a state school competition up there.
I'm glad I'll be getting mine just in time to do the Round Rock<->Lost Pines run three times a week during summer ;)

RBFCU has better rates if you apply online. I believe it was a .2% reduction if application is done online and not in person.
@JmpLemur ^^ what @MarkinArch stated is exactly right. I’d strongly advise applying for the loan through their website, so you receive the discount. I am in Dallas so I did everything remotely. After you apply online, a member of the team contacts you shortly thereafter (if done within business hours) and you can handle everything from that point via phone. Unless you simply prefer going into a branch.