Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas Model Ys

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
you had to go to the actual office to register your vehicle in Dallas? When I purchased my 3 I remember having to mail something in but not having to physically visit the tax assessors office.

Has something change or was this a special circumstance?

When I got my X in late 2018, Tesla did the registering (via a 3rd party company). It took forever, I was on my 3 temporary tags then the tag finally came in.

Now they have changed TX to a self registering state.

Interesting - we got the 3 in October 2019 and they did it all within 3 weeks or so. No extra paper tags needed. Either way what I don't understand is that my county offices are closed, my tags expire in 2 weeks and I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing...

Check with your county Tax Assessor/Collector, *NOT* the DMV.

In Dallas, the offices are open with social distancing. The line was outside around the building, but the security guard said it would be about two hours, and it was.... it moved fast. You can speed things up by having all the paperwork ready to go. (I seem to remember Tesla provided everything except the proof of insurance... but I don't remember.. check the required forms on their web page). I needed to write a check for about $3300 in taxes.

I also heard that due to a backlog, temp plates no longer expire (well, you won't get ticketed for it). I think you can also request/print new temp plates on the web. Those rules are in place until 60 days after the Governor says they don't, that hasn't happened yet. I didn't try either option as I waited in line before they expired. BTW, if you have questions, just call the Tax office, in Dallas they answered the phone and my questions.

I'll keep sending emails - I tried calling but I was online for 45 minutes and no one every picked up. Seems like Dallas is ON IT!

Welp, I suppose my second scheduled delivery appointment for tomorrow afternoon isn't going to happen either - Tesla site has now lost my VIN and delivery date, and reverted back to the 'We will reach out to schedule your delivery date' verbiage. They tried to lower expectations when I asked for a status update last week - now I'm curious when they'll actually let me know.

As a reminder, this is an order from unveil night - 3/14/2019 - not one of those 'ordered in May and still waiting!' sob stories :)

Reactions: theganjaguru
Okay,

So I placed my order for a Grey/LR/White Interior/Induction Wheels on July 28th. I'm located in Dallas, and received and email and had a chat with a delivery advisor in Las Vegas.

The advisor expects that I would get a Vin in late August or Early September. I told her that I plan to finance and that I'm waiting closer to the delivery date when I'll reach out to a lender for a loan.

Just kind of sitting here in Limbo waiting :( I plan to reach out to Alliant, but I'm not sure what the final penny amount should be for the loan since interest is not included in the final calculation w/ Tesla.

Should I just make the call and pass along my Motor Vehicle Order Agreement?

Okay,

So I placed my order for a Grey/LR/White Interior/Induction Wheels on July 28th. I'm located in Dallas, and received and email and had a chat with a delivery advisor in Las Vegas.

The advisor expects that I would get a Vin in late August or Early September. I told her that I plan to finance and that I'm waiting closer to the delivery date when I'll reach out to a lender for a loan.

Just kind of sitting here in Limbo waiting :( I plan to reach out to Alliant, but I'm not sure what the final penny amount should be for the loan since interest is not included in the final calculation w/ Tesla.

Should I just make the call and pass along my Motor Vehicle Order Agreement?

You likely won't be able to get far in financing until you have a VIN assigned, and should be careful not to get qualified for a loan (i.e., have a credit check pulled) too early, as those usually expire within 30-60 days depending on lender (and you might have to get qualified again, and have a second credit inquiry impacting your score).

That being said - interest is never a factor on the loan amount; your loan amount just needs to be the amount payable to Tesla (minus any deposit / down payment you plan). The loan amount is how much you're originally financing - interest gets charged on top of that, which means if you pay over the natural term of the loan you will pay a good chunk more than the 'loan amount'.

(replying to myself, but for the benefit of other waiting...)

My Red/White/19" LR Y (VIN 323xx) has arrived at the North Houston service center. Taking deliverY on WednesdaY.

I was going to reply to your previous post. I called them about three times within the past ten days, and today was the first time that someone picked up. A few minutes before closing, ironically. Will said it was still waiting for transport from Arkansas.

Congrats! Glad to see other HTX deliveries. I figured our cars would be together since there were a few of us whose delivery date got pushed from last week to this week. Look for it during your delivery Wed. Blue/White 20" LR VIN 324XX

I received the text message today telling me to "Get ready for your Model Y! watch these videos"

What is the time frame between when you received that text and when they called you to pick up the vehicle? Trying to see if that text comes automatically once the vehicle is delivered to the dealership or if its 72 hours before your scheduled delivery

(aka I have an appointment on friday but I am impatient and want to see if I might get it sooner)

Check with your county Tax Assessor/Collector, *NOT* the DMV.

In Dallas, the offices are open with social distancing. The line was outside around the building, but the security guard said it would be about two hours, and it was.... it moved fast. You can speed things up by having all the paperwork ready to go. (I seem to remember Tesla provided everything except the proof of insurance... but I don't remember.. check the required forms on their web page). I needed to write a check for about $3300 in taxes.

I also heard that due to a backlog, temp plates no longer expire (well, you won't get ticketed for it). I think you can also request/print new temp plates on the web. Those rules are in place until 60 days after the Governor says they don't, that hasn't happened yet. I didn't try either option as I waited in line before they expired. BTW, if you have questions, just call the Tax office, in Dallas they answered the phone and my questions.

When did you go? Their website says they're currently all closed. I'm just going to wait and do it later.

Effective July 13, 2020

"All Dallas County Tax Offices will be closed to the public for face-to-face transactions until further notice. The Tax Office will continue to process mail-in transactions and online transactions for both motor vehicle and property tax services. We will also continue to assist our customers by telephone and e-mail. Vehicle Registrations and Property Tax Payments can be made on this website."

Reactions: heycharlieball
Picked up Red/White,LE,19” just now.
Paint is good, only a few spots inside the door jams. They were even marked up. Guess they forgot to fix them.

Right headlight misaligned slightly. Same for the right door.
Nothing major that stops me from accepting it.
I also got miniature 3:
35B920A3-E84C-406D-9C75-FB1611ABA3A1.jpeg

Last edited:
I was going to reply to your previous post. I called them about three times within the past ten days, and today was the first time that someone picked up. A few minutes before closing, ironically. Will said it was still waiting for transport from Arkansas.

Congrats! Glad to see other HTX deliveries. I figured our cars would be together since there were a few of us whose delivery date got pushed from last week to this week. Look for it during your delivery Wed. Blue/White 20" LR VIN 324XX

There is a Blue/White at North Houston. VIN fits, but it has 19” wheels.