Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas Supercharger Locations (location speculation, discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope Tesla is ready for what's going to happen when they finally "uncork" the Texas loop...

Shouldn't it be, "Building causeways to the Texas Island"? :wink:

I'm waiting for the I-40 connection or the I-70 connection!

Maybe we will see a few Texas license plates on Teslas at the ski areas in Colorado this winter.

Many ski areas are 100% wind powered, so driving an EV to the ski area is a special pleasure. I also met a Tesla employee from the Denver Service Center who had a task to get HPWC's in as destination chargers at the ski areas and accommodations around them!

Then on to D'Iberville, MS (144 miles) maybe? There's a CBL mall there (The Promenade) -- in case that agreement is still bearing fruit.

Only problem being that you're then left with a 185 mile stretch to DeFuniak Springs... so maybe Pascagoula, with 166 mile legs on either side to Baton Rouge and DeFuniak.

I hope Tesla is ready for what's going to happen when they finally "uncork" the Texas loop...

Mobile AL is an optimal distance from Defuniak Springs FL and is at the junction with I-65. From there, Slidell LA might be a good choice at the east end of the I-10/I-12 split.

It's been quiet here for a bit so I thought I would check with the owner base..

By my count looking at the 2014 supercharger timeline, about 14 locations inside in the 2014 update that would complete the bridges off the Texas island in both direction (N and SE).

Has anyone seen any in-process construction in either direction?

Thanks.

It's been quiet here for a bit so I thought I would check with the owner base..

By my count looking at the 2014 supercharger timeline, about 14 locations inside in the 2014 update that would complete the bridges off the Texas island in both direction (N and SE).

Has anyone seen any in-process construction in either direction?

Thanks.

Amarillo looks to be online soon. With a short stop in Vernon, TX at the free RV site it would open us up to the West Coast. Oklahoma City should be able to open us up to the I70 corridor. Then, Orange, TX will start to get us going east. I'm hoping to have an Alabama Christmas visit this year with nothing but Superchargers.

The other thing that helps us is the "soon" available CHAdeMO adapter!

Amarillo looks to be online soon. With a short stop in Vernon, TX at the free RV site it would open us up to the West Coast. Oklahoma City should be able to open us up to the I70 corridor. Then, Orange, TX will start to get us going east. I'm hoping to have an Alabama Christmas visit this year with nothing but Superchargers.

The other thing that helps us is the "soon" available CHAdeMO adapter!

Do you have hard evidence, pictures, etc, of construction or permitting for a Supercharger happening in Amarillo. I had not heard anything about that.

We know about permit applications happening in Lake Charles, LA, Supercharger - Lake Charles, LA, but I had not heard anything about Orange, TX. Do you have any other info for Orange.

Thanks for any updates.

Last edited:
Do you have hard evidence, pictures, etc, of construction or permitting for a Supercharger happing in Amarillo. I had not heard anything about that.

We know about permit applications happening in Lake Charles, LA, Supercharger - Lake Charles, LA, but I had not heard anything about Orange, TX. Do you have any other info for Orange.

Thanks for any updates.

Winnie, TX would be a better fit than Orange. 130 miles from both the Columbus & Huntsville Superchargers and 85 miles from the Lake Charles site. The exit at TX 1663 has a good selection of hotel parking lots and fast food locations.

Amarillo looks to be online soon. With a short stop in Vernon, TX at the free RV site it would open us up to the West Coast. Oklahoma City should be able to open us up to the I70 corridor
By "us" you must just mean Dallas and not the whole island of Texas. Amarillo or OKC wouldn't open up anything coming from San Antonio, Austin, or Houston without other superchargers after Waco or Corsicana.

By "us" you must just mean Dallas and not the whole island of Texas. Amarillo or OKC wouldn't open up anything coming from San Antonio, Austin, or Houston without other superchargers after Waco or Corsicana.

Correct, but because no one from those other cities can resist spending a night in Dallas, it's not an issue :)

Even Ft Worth to Amarillo is 340 miles. I forget how big Texas is; you folks need a whole slew of Superchargers to get off the island. :eek:

There's supposed to be SCs in Weatherford, Wichita Falls and Childress to get us from DFW to Amarillo sometime in 2015. S60s will need all those to get there, but the 85s would just need one stop.

As for Orange, TX I didn't see that Lake Charles had already been found. I kept looking at electrical permits in Orange, but Lake Charles works fine. Amarillo has someone up there keeping an eye on things (Redd?) so we should hear something soon.

Having trouble seeing the connection on the SC map from a pending Amarillo SC to the west coast route via SC. I must be missing something?

No, Amarillo doesn't mean much as a standalone until the rest of the I-40 route to Gallup, NM is built.

At this rate, it looks like the first supercharger-only route from Texas to the West Coast may run through Defuniak Springs, FL :frown:

Hit Huntsville early this morning. The good news is that none of the spaces were ICEd. The bad news is the entire area had a strong urine smell. I hope none of us are peeing in the bushes.

I charged at Huntsville on Saturday going to Houston and on Sunday coming home and I think none of us peed in the bushes. None of the spaces in Corsicana or Huntsville were ICE'd. The "Parking for Tesla's only, towing strictly enforced" signs in Huntsville are nice. Of course, I've never even seen another Tesla charging in Huntsville.

Hit Huntsville early this morning. The good news is that none of the spaces were ICEd. The bad news is the entire area had a strong urine smell. I hope none of us are peeing in the bushes.

Maybe I need to make a parking sign that warns against the dangers of peeing on high voltage/amperage DC power lines. ;)

TBH, there might have been some fertilizer laid down nearby that has urea. That would cause that smell.