Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas Supercharger Locations (location speculation, discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seeing San Marcos TX almost done is good news... I was wondering why we had no visual confirmation prior to today?

Well it's a very popular outlet mall, but the location in the mall makes it unlikely anyone would see it incidentally. None of the shops near the chargers face them > they all face towards the highway or each other. Also, the Texas Tesla folks are pretty tight-lipped.

Green arrow is the spot of the chargers.

Screen Shot 2013-08-10 at 10.27.34 PM.png

- - - Updated - - -

Out of curiosity, does anyone think this install could have possibly cost $250,000???? That doesn't seem possible. I would think $20,000 tops. If they expand it to 10 stations and add solar then maybe $100,0000. I think...

Plus the batteries alone that store the grid and/or solar energy are probably north of $100k...

Does anyone know if these are 120 or 90?

Do they use batteries??? That would be silly. I would hope they would just connect to the grid. They can supply energy to the grid all day and then pull when people are charging. Would be a much more intelligent and a less expensive option. On the downside, you have to contract with the local utilities. Still, I can't imagine them not connecting to the grid.

Thanks, TexasEV!

I just went by there this morning before the mall traffic. About 7:15am.

I had a conversation with the contractor there. He said this was his first SuperCharger. He is about done there; should leave tomorrow or so. Going to Waco, I believe he said. He said SCs were under construction in both Waco and Columbus. It is feasible to have power on (soft opening) in the next few days. There are three power boxes. I presume that means that one of the five charging stations has dedicated (full power) power box.

The SC is only 50-150 yards from the "food court". That certainly means public restrooms. Many shops are convenient also.

Since I'm only 35 miles away it will be of little use to me, but I'm very happy for the rest of y'all.

Let me try to attach a couple of photos: Nope, looks like my photography efforts failed.

Do they use batteries??? That would be silly. I would hope they would just connect to the grid. They can supply energy to the grid all day and then pull when people are charging. Would be a much more intelligent and a less expensive option. On the downside, you have to contract with the local utilities. Still, I can't imagine them not connecting to the grid.
Here's what Elon said in the 5/30/13 conference call wrt batteries:
We actually have grid storage going on at some of our supercharging stations. Stationary battery packs that take in energy through the week, through the solar panels. The solar panels charge the battery pack, and then that stationary battery pack charges the Model S battery pack. Capable of going completely off-grid. These stations will operate even if the national grid goes down.
In order to expand rapidly, install without them [solar and batteries] and backfill over time. Solar lag behind SC installation 12-18 months. Grid storage 6-12 months after that.

The transcript is here: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...ent-2013-05-30?p=351656&viewfull=1#post351656

Here's what Elon said in the 5/30/13 conference call wrt batteries

I would expect the storage batteries to be mainly in the areas where there are significant rate increases during the prime usage times and/or the electrical rate is high. There are also some places where the utility companies won't pay for energy put back into the grid.

Loving the SC rollout in Texas finally. Very exciting and they are really ramping it up by doing several at the same time! However, there is one major route still missing and that is the DFW-HOU one. Anybody know anything about that? That is the 2nd longest route of the triangle (First being DFW-San Antonio and San Marcos/Waco will cover that). Would love to make it to the Ribbon cutting if it is in Waco.

@TXjak: Also, don't forget the zombie apocalypse. Elon specifically called that out in the same transcript. Just make sure you get the zombie package (chainsaw wheels, flamethrower, bulletproof glass).

@CheetahExpress: "Anybody know anything about [DFW-HOU]?" Yes, there will be two SuperChargers on I-45. Instead of the midpoint, each closer to the destination city. I'm really looking forward to when these are online!

Recommendation: For those of you with Tesla supplied paint armor (I have it), I recommend getting full hood XPEL or equivalent if you are running these highways a lot as the SuperChargers come online. I just got my first hood chip above the paint armor and it went through the paint.

Last edited:

Yes, they have to be on the grid.

Electricity orice varies.
Wholesale price varies.
Feed-in tariffs vary.
Net metering rules vary.
Demand charges vary.
The value of grid balancing varies.
Supercharger usage pattern varies.
Renewable mandates vary.
Green PR has value.
Tesla is charging customers for Supercharger use with an up-front fee.
It's really simplistic to say that batteries are a waste of time.

Wonder if this kind of configuration (San Marcos) will make it challenging for a queue of MS's once there are a lot more on the road. Where would one wait for a supercharger bay to open? I'm surprised they don't look for locations away from the main parking lots. But, it also makes sense, since there is a light post right there. They probably tapped the power going to it instead of trenching?

In any case.. great to see the rollout in Texas.

It's really simplistic to say that batteries are a waste of time.

LOL, and you are overcomplicating things. The only true benefit is charging even when the grid goes down which is nice. It would suck to be driving cross country and then be stuck due to a local power outage. Still, it's a nice thing but not a show stopper. Which is why they won't be available day one.

Last edited:
@McKemie:

Did you happen to ask the contractor when they broke ground there? If we get an answer, and it is the expected 4-6 week time interval from start to finish, we can guestimate (when someone asks the Waco contractor when he actually started there) when the Waco site would be open. This, also, assumes standard nature support (e.g. no tornadoes, tsunamis, flash floods, alien abductions, etc.).

@McKemie:

Did you happen to ask the contractor when they broke ground there? If we get an answer, and it is the expected 4-6 week time interval from start to finish, we can guestimate (when someone asks the Waco contractor when he actually started there) when the Waco site would be open. This, also, assumes standard nature support (e.g. no tornadoes, tsunamis, flash floods, alien abductions, etc.).

No, I failed to ask. In retrospect, I should have been better organized. I didn't expect him to be willing to answer questions. I have the impression that he was an electrical contractor only and that there were other contractors there before him. As I reported, he did say that both Waco and Columbus were under construction. Is anyone scouting in those areas?

I did ask him if there had been a stream of Teslas dropping by. He said mine was the first one he'd seen. Was TexasEV (who took photos yesterday, Satuday) driving a Tesla?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not sure, but I thought one of the reasons to have batteries in the SuperChargers was to buffer the energy demand. My guess is that charging demand at San Marcos with 5 stations might be 3x120kw. Would electric connections be cheaper for say a 100 or 200kw supply? Wouldn't the power supplier be happier with a less spikey demand?

LOL, and you are overcomplicating things. The only true benefit is charging even when the grid goes down which is nice. It would suck to be driving cross country and then be stuck due to a local power outage. Still, it's a nice thing but not a show stopper. Which is why they won't be available day one.
I'm not sure, but I thought one of the reasons to have batteries in the SuperChargers was to buffer the energy demand. My guess is that charging demand at San Marcos with 5 stations might be 3x120kw. Would electric connections be cheaper for say a 100 or 200kw supply? Wouldn't the power supplier be happier with a less spikey demand?
That's one, another one is to help the electricity supplier meet peak demand by selling excess energy to them when it's available and needed by the utility.

- - - Updated - - -

All solar arrays need done sort of storage system: whether Lead-nickel or LiAl-unobtanium-phosphate or anywhere in between.
Mine doesn't and I'm pretty sure the majority of installed solar PV systems are grid connected without batteries.

You only need batteries or some other energy storage system if you intend to use electricity when there is no sunshine and there is either no electrical service available, or you would rather not use the available electric service.

Chiming in from the Great PNW here. Did you happen to find out which company he was working for? I ask only because all of the NW superchargers have been installed by the same contractor (ADK) and it may help in your sleuthing efforts for the future installs.

OH yeah, happy to see you folks in Texas getting your SC's!

Cheers!