Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Text reading

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2012 S used to appear to read texts aloud but it turns out it was my Windows Phone doing it. At some point I found a setting to turn that after off so that it wouldn't pronounce "really large numbers" from automated text messages from my bank.
This still worked prior to v9, maybe still does. Not that anyone would switch to windows phone for this feature. Although since the phones are $20 on eBay it is a cheap solution. Grin.

I can't imagine that they won't be able to add this functionality at some point. It should just be a matter of licensing the software from Android/Apple. Text to talk is a major safety feature.

My Fiat could read and even respond to Text messages. This is without Carplay or Android auto.

Tesla should really be ashamed that they don't have this feature. The voice functionality of the car is very limited.

My car didn't come with it but I got it aftermarket. A bit complicated, takes time but almost works perfect everytime.

So, the way I get it to usually work is that I have my 13 year old next to me. Sound on my Android phone has to be turned on. Once I hear the "ding", I ask my son to pick up my phone and read the text or email. Works like a charm and not illegal but I have a few problems with it...

1. Text and email filtering. You all have that one friend (or more) that loves to send inappropriate text. I haven't figured out how to filter those from being read. In fact, the first time I encountered this glitch, said 13 year old refused to read it out loud. This is a problem that I think will fix with age.

2. What to do when that darn kid is in school. Thinking home schooling might be the answer here.

PS - Wifey's RX can read texts without said 13 year old.

The other downside to Strujas method is that aftermarket option usually has a very high total cost of ownership.

Very true, although in theory I am in for those costs anyway.

BTW - you and I must have a very similar taste in cars. Do you have a Model S, X or 3? I know you had (like me) an IS350. Mine was a 2008 RWD, which was pretty dreadful in the Canadian winter (I bought it when I lived in NYC) but my Model S90D is much better suited to handling some of the road conditions up here.

My car didn't come with it but I got it aftermarket. A bit complicated, takes time but almost works perfect everytime.

So, the way I get it to usually work is that I have my 13 year old next to me. Sound on my Android phone has to be turned on. Once I hear the "ding", I ask my son to pick up my phone and read the text or email. Works like a charm and not illegal but I have a few problems with it...

1. Text and email filtering. You all have that one friend (or more) that loves to send inappropriate text. I haven't figured out how to filter those from being read. In fact, the first time I encountered this glitch, said 13 year old refused to read it out loud. This is a problem that I think will fix with age.

2. What to do when that darn kid is in school. Thinking home schooling might be the answer here.

PS - Wifey's RX can read texts without said 13 year old.
I use a similar solution. I just have my girlfriend read and respond to my text messages when I'm driving. It's almost as accurate as Google Assistant. It's a free workaround so I guess I can't be too picky.

Reactions: devilmountain
Very true, although in theory I am in for those costs anyway.

BTW - you and I must have a very similar taste in cars. Do you have a Model S, X or 3? I know you had (like me) an IS350. Mine was a 2008 RWD, which was pretty dreadful in the Canadian winter (I bought it when I lived in NYC) but my Model S90D is much better suited to handling some of the road conditions up here.

Heh, my IS350 was also a 2008 RWD- I had to special order it as they didn't make any (in the US anyway) with the Mark Levinson stereo WITHOUT navigation, so the only way to get that was special order... also had the sport package and F-sport sway bars, so my Model 3 (AWD) is actually a little smoother of a ride.

The RWD wasn't much issue here in NC though- in fact I had Michelin Pilot Sport summer performance tires on it year round, and for the like 5 days a year it was below freezing during the day I just didn't drive it.

To continue the weird parallels I've previously lived in both NY and Canada in the past- and had a RWD car at the time too- but found good snow tires worked fine for me... I wasn't super crazy north in Canada though (Welland Ontario)

Reactions: Struja
Heh, my IS350 was also a 2008 RWD- I had to special order it as they didn't make any (in the US anyway) with the Mark Levinson stereo WITHOUT navigation, so the only way to get that was special order... also had the sport package and F-sport sway bars, so my Model 3 (AWD) is actually a little smoother of a ride.

The RWD wasn't much issue here in NC though- in fact I had Michelin Pilot Sport summer performance tires on it year round, and for the like 5 days a year it was below freezing during the day I just didn't drive it.

To continue the weird parallels I've previously lived in both NY and Canada in the past- and had a RWD car at the time too- but found good snow tires worked fine for me... I wasn't super crazy north in Canada though (Welland Ontario)

I remember you from the IS forum (I think my tag was 3fitty or something else dumb - lol).

I also remember your unique car (Levinson - no Nav). I'm about an hour and a bit from Welland (west end of Toronto). Given the size the this "internet world" pretty cool to sort of be back in the same place with similar cars.

Let me know what you plan to buy next so I can prepare. ;)