Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Text reading

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even with the incentives it's not a cheap car. You can easily get a BMW or Mercedes for $37k.

If you want to ride the coattails of a luxury brand and buy the cheapest car they make, go for it. Nobody cares how you spend your money. The meadian income in the working class neighborhoods of Chicago is around 90k. Just enough to raise a family of 3 and send them to public school.

If you want to ride the coattails of a luxury brand and buy the cheapest car they make, go for it. Nobody cares how you spend your money. The meadian income in the working class neighborhoods of Chicago is around 90k. Just enough to raise a family of 3 and send them to public school.
If you want to hate on people who drive a Model 3 go for it. No one cares about impressing you.

I could car less what anyone drives... Just pointing out the fact the Model 3 is not the luxury sports vehicle the S, X, and roadster have benchmarked in the marketplace.

*For the record, I own TSLA shares and have a vested interest in seeing them succeed.
I think you meant to say that you "couldn't care less".

No one is comparing the Model 3 to the S and X which cost twice as much. However you comparing it to a Prius and VW Beatles makes no sense. The closes ICE comparison to the Model 3 is a vehicle like the BMW 3-series.

But I'm not sure why you even brought that up in a thread about text-reading.

Maybe I should just give up on trying to get threads back on topic :rolleyes:
I’m with you!

What I’m still unclear on after reading (I think) the whole thread is why car-based functionality is so valuable compared to “Hey Siri, read my messages” or “Hey Siri, send a message to XXX”?
  • Is it that Android devices are deficient in this regard, and only Android users want the functionality?
    • Why not seek better functionality on the Android phone, if so?
  • Is it that text message functionality on cars is superior to the built-in iOS “hey Siri” functionality?
    • If so, how?
For my part I generally would not like Tesla to prioritize reinventing functionality that already exists on my phone unless they can do it better in some way (and keep it better, too). They usually aren’t going to do as well as the phone OS vendors, they simply don’t have the user base or dev resources to compete. The nav system is an exception, but that’s only because there are requirements unique to the car (routing through Superchargers, for example) that nobody else takes care of. (OK, I confess I wish they’d show the media player some love, but it’s been so long that I’ve just about given up.)

I have a moto z3 play and with the Motovoice app it reads me texts in my Model S and I can dictate a response. It basically calls me and it shows up as a call in the model S. Pretty awesome actually I love it.
In the latest update, Motorola has removed the reading text functionality. Verizon was quite surprised to hear this. Customers were not notified, it wasn't in the patch notes, and they did not tell the carriers. So now I am looking for ways to reinstate this ability. I am trialing ReadItToMe that I saw mentioned on another thread. The paid version has lots of bells and whistles, including being able to respond to texts, WhatsApp, and others via voice command, but the free version will at least read the text so I can decide if it's worth pulling over or waiting to respond. And yes, some of my business IS urgent enough to pull off the freeway to take care of.

• Informative
Reactions: KidDoc