Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Textile/Fabric Interior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am getting ready to place an order for Model S 75D. I would appreciate any information from those who have experienced this fabric interior in their own cars. I saw the sample and it feels very coarse to touch. How does it feel (itchy?) to sit on for a length of time in different weather conditions (like northern California).

It is also very heavily textured and would certainly accumulate dust and crumbs of food in the crevices and thus requiring frequent vacuum cleaning. You couldn't just wipe the seats off.

Please advise what else I should know about Tesla's 2018 Model S fabric interior.

Thanks!

Reactions: carbonx
I've heard good things about the fabric interior and that it's generally pretty comfortable and underrated as most people expect leather in luxury cars. It's actually only part fabric and part vegan leather and the quality is still quite good. I would say that it's probably not as easy to clean but you can definitely save a bit here without sacrificing comfort.

That being said, I'm a huge fan of the ultra-white interior. It's pretty amazing if you can keep it clean.

Reactions: MelaniainLA
I love our multi-pattern black seats. Went well out of my way to get those in our CPO Model S, since they are so hard to find. Owners here have reported that they hold up better over time than the leather ones (though that may or may not apply to the newer vegan leather seats... still too new to tell on that one). Personally I also think they look way cooler. It's a unique pattern that gives it a nice aesthetic.

Will be highly disappointed that I won't have them in our soon-to-arrive Model 3. PUP won over non-PUP overall.

Last edited:
Reactions: MelaniainLA
I am getting ready to place an order for Model S 75D. I would appreciate any information from those who have experienced this fabric interior in their own cars. I saw the sample and it feels very coarse to touch. How does it feel (itchy?) to sit on for a length of time in different weather conditions (like northern California).

It is also very heavily textured and would certainly accumulate dust and crumbs of food in the crevices and thus requiring frequent vacuum cleaning. You couldn't just wipe the seats off.

Please advise what else I should know about Tesla's 2018 Model S fabric interior.

Thanks!

I really like my leather compared to the fabric I tried. The fabric was soft and all but I don't feel it belongs in a car as expensive as a MS. It's great to have the option but I feel for the price point leather should be standard with a credit for fabric. A long time back I bought a Scion TC and I swear the fabricate looks almost exactly the same. The TC only cost $17k brand new though lol. The fabric seats definitely show dirt and stains pretty well and it's not as easy as just wiping down leather. I would recommend leather if you can afford it plus I would think the day you decide to trade up your car will be a little more desirable with leather.

I really like my leather compared to the fabric I tried. The fabric was soft and all but I don't feel it belongs in a car as expensive as a MS. It's great to have the option but I feel for the price point leather should be standard with a credit for fabric. A long time back I bought a Scion TC and I swear the fabricate looks almost exactly the same. The TC only cost $17k brand new though lol. The fabric seats definitely show dirt and stains pretty well and it's not as easy as just wiping down leather. I would recommend leather if you can afford it plus I would think the day you decide to trade up your car will be a little more desirable with leather.
To each their own. Yes, leather is easier to clean. It's often softer. But it's also ridiculously hot and cold in temperature extremes. That's where I put my comfort (since that's the climate I live in). And apparently the leather Tesla used doesn't last as long, so I'd prefer the seats that will hold up better physically over time.

I went with textile seats due to the cost savings and the fact that I read several posts at the time that the leather options were not high quality. Of course things have changed since then, however the textile fabric should hold up much better with little to no maintenance compared to the faux leather.

I am 17K miles in and they are comfortable and easy to clean IMO (coffee spill). Definitely not scratchy.

The white seats would have looked awesome with a red exterior, however I felt the textile option made more practical sense for the long-term.

Maybe down the road I'll consider an aftermarket switch to something comparable to the white seats. That's unlikely though since the textile seats should be holding up very well years from now.

Reactions: E Dizzle
I've heard good things about the fabric interior and that it's generally pretty comfortable and underrated as most people expect leather in luxury cars. It's actually only part fabric and part vegan leather and the quality is still quite good. I would say that it's probably not as easy to clean but you can definitely save a bit here without sacrificing comfort.

That being said, I'm a huge fan of the ultra-white interior. It's pretty amazing if you can keep it clean.
Thank you carbonx

Thank you carbonx. I also appreciated your offer for referral for free supercharging but I already have one.

I love our multi-pattern black seats. Went well out of my way to get those in our CPO Model S, since they are so hard to find. Owners here have reported that they hold up better over time than the leather ones (though that may or may not apply to the newer vegan leather seats... still too new to tell on that one). Personally I also think they look way cooler. It's a unique pattern that gives it a nice aesthetic.

Will be highly disappointed that I won't have them in our soon-to-arrive Model 3. PUP won over non-PUP overall.
Thank you iluvemacs. Your opinion will definitely factor in my decision.

I went with textile seats due to the cost savings and the fact that I read several posts at the time that the leather options were not high quality. Of course things have changed since then, however the textile fabric should hold up much better with little to no maintenance compared to the faux leather.

I am 17K miles in and they are comfortable and easy to clean IMO (coffee spill). Definitely not scratchy.

The white seats would have looked awesome with a red exterior, however I felt the textile option made more practical sense for the long-term.

Maybe down the road I'll consider an aftermarket switch to something comparable to the white seats. That's unlikely though since the textile seats should be holding up very well years from now.
Thanks a lot! You have reinforced my inclination for fabric interior for practical reasons.

Reactions: Sawyer8888

Thanks! You make excellent observations. Most helpful.

Hey carbonx, I think I replied to you. In case I didn't thanks a lot for your response as well as the offer for referral code for supercharging. I already have one.

I picked up fabric seats and have gone on a couple bay area to LA trips with them. Very comfortable and I didn't feel sweaty in them. Besides, the money saved can be rolled into nice upgrades like paint protection etc. We keep our cars a long time, and non-leather seats seem to look pristine after 8-10 years, and fabric even hides small amounts of damage that would be visible on leather/vegan. I hope this holds with the multi-pattern black.