Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Textile or Alcantara Headliner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Lerxt

Feb 21, 2014
Australia
I'd like to hear opinions and see some photos of interiors of both types of headliners. Im trying to free up money to "maybe" get a pano roof or a second charger. I ordered alcantara but I actually haven't see what the textile interior looks like as there are no examples in Hong Kong yet. Photos of both of either with tan interiors would be really appreciated.

thx

According to Wikipedia, Alcantara is basically ”composed of about 68% polyester and 32% polyurethane”. So in other words Alcantara is (basically) just plastic...

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcantara_(material)

I don’t know what kind of fiber Tesla uses in the textile headliner, but it would surprise me if your local Tesla representative wouldn’t be able to get back to you with an answer if you contact her/him.

Don’t know if that can serve as a basis for a decision…

If you want to base your decision strictly on esthetic values, then I don’t know, since I personally haven’t seen these two alternatives.

My Sig S has tan Alcantara; rather than 'fuzzy', I'd call it 'suede-like'. The service loaner I drove yesterday had a tan cloth headliner with tan leather seats; it's a nice combo, but the Alcantara does look a bit better, IMHO. The textile weave is a bit coarse (or 'sturdy', if you prefer), to my eye.

I am going to respectfully dissent--I actually prefer the non-alcantara headliner. There is something about the alcantara that feels...not cheap, exactly, but sort of kit-car. Or maybe van conversion, like one of those Starcraft jobs from the 80s.

The textured weave of the base material reads, perhaps paradoxically, as a more finished, large-scale OEM look.

Agree with @jerry33, it's completely a personal choice. IMHO I feel that some people may feel Alcantara kit-car like (in Japan we say VIP-car like) but it's also used in Maserati Quattroporte headliner. Definitely of high quality, I think you'd be satisfied if you choose one.

Agree re the Alcantara being a purely personal preference. It came w/ my P85 at the time, but I would have paid extra for it if necessary. Saying that it is not cost-effective if you have the Pano roof (because there's less square footage of coverage there) makes no sense to me.

From the driver's seat, you see about the same amount of headliner material either w/ or w/o the Pano roof. IMO, the Alcantara looks and feels much richer than the somewhat coarse standard textile headliner weave, and many of my passengers have commented on the nice texture of the Alcantara.

So if you're trying to save money by omitting the Pano roof, then I agree that you should also skip the Alcantara. But If you get the Pano roof (which I really like as it brightens up the interior all the time, and is really cool to use at least a few days a year), then I would also get the Alcantara, as it makes the interior feel that much richer all of the time.