Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TFL Thrifty 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a result, several viewers have emailed them to say that they crossed Tesla off their list due to the 3 months it has taken to get their car repaired. IMO, criticism directed at Tesla in this situation is valid. Not only should a repair not take 3 months, but then to not have a car company reply to numerous requests for help or comment? I love Tesla in general, but in this situation, I am disappointed in their response (or lack there of).

Agreed, I am one of those prospective buyers who is willing wait out longer to see if/when Tesla can address the customer service issues as well as improve their quality control. If the complaints about repair times and delivery issues (both delivery experience and build quality) persist for another 3-4 months, I'll start looking elsewhere. It has been more than a year since the Model 3 production ramp started, time to fix the secondary issues now that the production volumes have stabilized.

Agreed, I am one of those prospective buyers who is willing wait out longer to see if/when Tesla can address the customer service issues as well as improve their quality control. If the complaints about repair times and delivery issues (both delivery experience and build quality) persist for another 3-4 months, I'll start looking elsewhere. It has been more than a year since the Model 3 production ramp started, time to fix the secondary issues now that the production volumes have stabilized.

To add a balanced perspective, it is also very important not to draw broad, general conclusions from a single case example. This is why in research, you never draw conclusions on a single case example. For example, I was in a minor accident and my car, which required a new fender, was completed in less than a week. I think there is variability on geographic location. Perhaps because Tesla is based in California, there are more services centers and approved body shops in California than other parts of the country. The TFL guys are in Colorado. Not that this justifies longer wait times, but it may be a factor.

To add a balanced perspective, it is also very important not to draw broad, general conclusions from a single case example. This is why in research, you never draw conclusions on a single case example. For example, I was in a minor accident and my car, which required a new fender, was completed in less than a week. I think there is variability on geographic location. Perhaps because Tesla is based in California, there are more services centers and approved body shops in California than other parts of the country. The TFL guys are in Colorado. Not that this justifies longer wait times, but it may be a factor.

When was your accident? I ask because Tesla has a history of experiencing terrible problems that last for a certain period of time, then fixing them. If your accident was, say, a year ago, it could have been before a (semi-hypothetical) current "crisis" in repair problems due to a parts shortage; but by the same token, if Tesla is taking the problem seriously, it might no longer exist in another 6-12 months.

I cannot stand TFL their episodes appear to be scripted. I have tried watching them several times, and I think I would rather watch paint dry. I think this accident is staged to create drama and drive views to the channel. More views equal more money in. What a better way to drive views from haters and fans, let's create a series based on the weakest link. I have a friend that produces very popular reality shows; this is the same formula they use. A production company can easily cover the cost of a staged accident and never turn it into their insurance.

However, repair times can be appalling, and it is the weak part of Tesla. Here is a video from Larry Benjamin that details his repairs, no staged drama like TFL, just lists a timeline. Four months is way too long, I agree.

Tesla body repairs have been terrible for a LONG time, due to the inability to get parts. This is well documented.

On delivery, my Model 3 had a razor cut on the steering wheel that I asked the dealer to have repaired/replaced - they told me OK, but they have no idea when they will be able to get a steering wheel because there are no extras currently being made. It seems Tesla's supply chain is only set up for creating new cars, not providing parts to current owners.

Last edited:
Reactions: Probllama
11. They brought Anton Wahlman, of all people, on their show as their EV expert. Wahlman is a notorious Tesla FUDster and even spent some time trolling the investor section here on TMC.

I don’t think TFLCar is being intentionally dishonest or misleading, but I also don’t think they’re very bright. They seem it’s make amateur mistakes, perform only cursory research and fall for short seller tricks.

Even I who don't hang out reading alot of Tesla news stories recognize his name from a few Seeking Alpha articles slamming Tesla that I've seen (generally just don't click on any of their stories). That alone would turn me off to their channel and take what they say with a big block of salt.

Reactions: Big Earl
If I'm not mistaken hasn't Tesla been working on a parts warehouse? in Lathrop that is suppose to be nearing completion? I know acquiring parts at a repair facility in a timely fashion has been a challenge for Tesla and something they said they were in the process of addressing. I don't doubt that after improving production and production rates that this isn't a top concern. For minor stuff mobile service is I think doing a great job in handling smaller issues. We have only had one body shop issue, that was a rear quarter panel, bumper and sensor issue caused by a utility truck backing out of an adjoining space. This was back in mid-November. It did take until January to get the service appointment but it took them less than a week to return the car to us (looked new too).

IMO, criticism directed at Tesla in this situation is valid.

Absolutely agree.

Agreed, I am one of those prospective buyers who is willing wait out longer to see if/when Tesla can address the customer service issues

I'm in the same boat. I think this is totally reasonable and people should consider this before buying Tesla. Clearly, it's an issue.

I cannot stand TFL their episodes appear to be scripted. I have tried watching them several times, and I think I would rather watch paint dry. I think this accident is staged to create drama and drive views to the channel. More views equal more money in. What a better way to drive views from haters and fans, let's create a series based on the weakest link. I have a friend that produces very popular reality shows; this is the same formula they use. A production company can easily cover the cost of a staged accident and never turn it into their insurance.

However, repair times can be appalling, and it is the weak part of Tesla. Here is a video from Larry Benjamin that details his repairs, no staged drama like TFL, just lists a timeline. Four months is way too long, I agree.

Let's agree to put on the tinfoil hat and assume that TFLC actually staged the accident on purpose for some bizarre reason. What does that change, other than the "accident" was not an accident? The same damage would have been done, the same costly repair estimates, the same delays with replacement parts, etc. Even if the "accident" was staged, that changes nothing as to the horrendous experience the TFLC guys have experienced with getting their fender bender repaired. The fact Tesla has a serious (at least in CO) problem with servicing Model 3's needing repair is unchanged.

Let's agree to put on the tinfoil hat and assume that TFLC actually staged the accident on purpose for some bizarre reason. What does that change, other than the "accident" was not an accident? The same damage would have been done, the same costly repair estimates, the same delays with replacement parts, etc. Even if the "accident" was staged, that changes nothing as to the horrendous experience the TFLC guys have experienced with getting their fender bender repaired. The fact Tesla has a serious (at least in CO) problem with servicing Model 3's needing repair is unchanged.
Not disagreeing with you there at all.

There are tons of Tesla shops in and around Denver. Hell, there's one in Boulder, but they didn't go there.
My model 3 had $9k in hail damage. The shop is 3 minutes away from home and they got me in same day for the estimate, which took them 1 day.
They ordered parts, which took just over 2 weeks, and then called me to bring the car back in.
Took 3 days to get it repaired.

Reactions: MountainJedi
There are tons of Tesla shops in and around Denver. Hell, there's one in Boulder, but they didn't go there.
My model 3 had $9k in hail damage. The shop is 3 minutes away from home and they got me in same day for the estimate, which took them 1 day.
They ordered parts, which took just over 2 weeks, and then called me to bring the car back in.
Took 3 days to get it repaired.

IIRC, they said their insurance (State Farm), only authorized them to go to 1 repair shop in Boulder. So it's not like they had a choice on where to go (if they wanted the repairs covered under their insurance).

IIRC, they said their insurance (State Farm), only authorized them to go to 1 repair shop in Boulder. So it's not like they had a choice on where to go (if they wanted the repairs covered under their insurance).
I think it's been mentioned before in this thread, but my understanding is that insurance cannot dictate the repair shop in Colorado. In my experience, in Colorado, the insurance will use an adjuster to determine whether or not a quote is reasonable and, if it's not, pay only the amount determined by the adjuster (subject to some negotiation on rates, prices, etc.). I haven't watched the videos, but if these guys are claiming their insurance won't let them go to a different shop, they are either ignorant or lying.

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl and Timbo2
SRS5694
Well you definitely have my interest piqued. The majority of the statements here or on other forums for that matter are based on personal opinions. Although I searched this thread, I can see nothing that’s part of a fact-based research project.

For someone who’s set forth in brass-attacking someone, it’s interesting that you’re using terms such as, “Likely did not pose” or “It could be that Tommy…”

When I mentioned TFL “steering the narrative” I’m speaking in reference to them using terms and examples that steer viewers or readers away from the main topic. I’ll use your words for example. “Odd body design.” I never said that. Or, in describing the collision, I never said he used “full power” or “more than what most cars have”. I said accelerate. It’s what you do to increase your speed from 0. Your response added words to my description in order to strengthen your case in points that are ineffectual. Unless you’re trying to defend Tommy for a reason that you don’t want to disclose, the kid drove the car into a wall. And no, the airbags did not deploy as they normally do not in low speed collisions. I’ve seen more collisions that I would have liked involving roll-overs, major rear-enders, and t-bones where the airbags never deployed. However, assuming they were operating as designed, using reverse engineering “of sorts” this leads to my opinon (got that?). The initial impact was under speed, and or under the amount of force to activate the SRS. Tommy, moving at low speed, drove, i.e. accelerated into and through the end of the collision. TFL pointed out they have $10,000 in damage. That’s substantial. That motor continued, albeit at a low speed, to push into the wall after initial contact, sending energy away from the further most rear part of the vehicle to forward portions of the vehicle to absorb the impact. They showed us the damage. This was not a paint transfer collision. This was not a collision where a bumper could easily be replaced as a result of a quick glancing. You said, “Damage shown was consistent with what one sees in parking-lot fender-benders.” OK. If he reversed into the brick-walled store with a Tesla.

I’m not sure if you have a horse in this race or just have buyer’s remorse. Or, if you’re that guy that likes to correct everyone’s points with, “Well technically”. These are all personal opinions. You yourself have provided little or nothing other than opinion-based assertions, as you put it. We could go all day long in disagreeing the points of what did or didn’t occur using only the information provided in a video.

I think you’re falling victim to the same lack of perspective shared by TFL. We’ve discovered through basic googling, that there is soon to be a center in Lathrop that is rumored to create a solution to the parts issue. Give them time. Be patient. If you experience the same thing as TFL with your vehicle and it becomes an impassable issue, get rid of it. If you don’t have passion or understanding of the issues with the car, you won’t find patience. In 2017, I bought a luxury crossover for my wife. It immediately had tons of software issues that were known to that brand. I knew they were a possibility. It was in the shop five times in the first year. My patience was thin but was there none the less. The issues have since been fixed and the car is fine. I’m not real fond of the car but it’s a known commodity.

The main issue from the original post was to point out that TFL has minimized several issues with their side of the incident (the collision, the body shop, insurance company) and deflected blame fully onto Tesla. In today’s video, they even spent time praising the body shop. My original question was, “are the issues they are experiencing correct/possible/unlikely?” In reading some of the responses here on this thread, I can say yes. But, TFL could have easily added what we’ve easily found on the internet to the equation of their review instead of letting their dissatisfaction with Tesla as a company negatively affect their piece by making a 3-video rant on Tesla itself.

They’re supposed to be car guys. I think by their definition, that means something other than what Tesla is offering by means of a “car.” They know this car is unique and is going to have growing pains but haven’t given any room for error. Of the ten or so cars I’ve owned, this is the first one I can say I’m passionate about. I feel like I’ve bought into something bigger than a car. If you don’t feel that way, dump it. It’s going to cause you heartache. If you’ve already lost patience for the car in reading any of this, get a Leaf. I respect Nissan for what they did in the market. Plus, the leaf’s been around long enough to avoid parts problems. Any perspective buyer or an owner that’s already dissatisfied with the Model 3 will most likely always be looking for problems. Make a choice that fits with the color of your sky.

Here is a very balanced view of how long Tesla's take to repair vs other cars.

In my experience other vehicles I have owned have taken over one month to repair for what should have been a simple job. Add to that fact that Tesla is pushing to sell every car they produce, parts availability will be limited. I am not defending Tesla, but I am not hating on them either. We just don't have all of the information to make a well informed decision from what is provided in TFL's video.

and this is exactly why they chose the State Farm approved shop.
Right, so they made a choice of that shop. They are not restricted to that shop by their insurance. They should have looked around. Others have provided actual, anecdotal evidence that other shops in Colorado are not having the same problems. But it looks better for their "Tesla repairs/service are poor" narrative to frame it that they were limited to one shop.

I doubt they staged the accident as has been suggested, but it certainly appears they are staging the resulting repair process by implying there is only one Tesla approved shop for them to use. It's just patently false. They could go to any shop and get the same payout from State Farm.

That's illegal in Colorado. Lots of people, including me have told them this.

They chose that shop, and continue to push a narrative that they know is false.